Do I need a snub idler?

Dameonashbolt

Established Member
I've been using performance-dyno.com as reference to tuning my terminator. It says about fitting a snub idler to stop the slip on the oem charger?
I've got a gen2 vmp 2.3 on the way I intend on using the oem lower pully etc would I also need a snub idler on this charger to stop belt slip?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Depends on the pulley size you plan to use and the belt size. Vmp should have a belt and pulley guide.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Yes, it is always a good idea to run a snub idler for better belt wrap. The Whipple Tensioner is the best if you want to spend a little extra $$$ as it put's the belt on the correct side of the blower pulley.

Dameonashbolt

Established Member
What do you mean by it puts the belt on the right side of the blower pully? I cant seem to find the whipple snubs seems they may have discontinued them?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
The way the blower belt goes, it climbs the pulley on the passenger side. You have to call Whipple direct to purchase. They usually run around $250 or so.

This link might help as well to explain. https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/where-can-i-purchase-the-whipple-snub-idler.1143528/

IMG_3788.jpg

Dameonashbolt

Established Member
Also unable to find any kind of pully/belt guide for the vmp 2.3.
I'd like to know if there is one somewhere as would like to know what top pully to run on a stock lower to get approx 19psi

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Also unable to find any kind of pully/belt guide for the vmp 2.3.
I'd like to know if there is one somewhere as would like to know what top pully to run on a stock lower to get approx 19psi
If you run the whipple tensioner you can basically get one belt and adjust the tension with whipples tensioner.

What idlers are you running? If running a 2.8" to a 3" upper pulley, the stock 75" length should work.....if using the whipple tensioner. It's worth the money.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dameonashbolt

Established Member
Erm I dont know what pulleys they are. There all silver though....I need to email whipple about this tensioner! I've read a few posts saying it's worth the money but looking at a few snub idlers online they appear to make the belt grip more of the blower over the whipple tensioner

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Erm I dont know what pulleys they are. There all silver though....I need to email whipple about this tensioner! I've read a few posts saying it's worth the money but looking at a few snub idlers online they appear to make the belt grip more of the blower over the whipple tensioner
There are non on the market that's better than the whipple one.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

No.

Get the whipple tensioner, it's the best thing since sliced bread. You'll see. Those antiquated snubs applying pressure from the outside are garbage

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Would it be worth it to switch from a reg snub to the adjustable whipple, for just a ported setup?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Would it be worth it to switch from a reg snub to the adjustable whipple, for just a ported setup?

I say yes.....according to the whipple engineers, the primary reason this design was offered was to apply the belt tension from the proper location underneath....the typical snubs mounted out to the side of the snout can cause premature bearing failure. So, it's a safety and longevity feature protecting the blower job number one.

The adjustability function is job number two and is an added bonus. I know on my setup it allows up to a 4psi change, with an upper blower pulley swap only......all while using the exact same sized belt. To accomplish that with a traditional snub, you'd either need a different belt, a different sub/idler/upper size or a combination of all 3. The belt swap alone is very easy with the whipple unit. That sliding pulley is super easy to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread