do I need a new maf?

Rudy

Twin screwed
Established Member
I am installing the apten and mrt h pipe with cats this weekend, and possibly ported tb/plenum would be my next mod. I am currently at 460 rwhp 481rwtq, after all that I would take it to a dyno to check a/f ratio. Would probably end up retuning the car from what I learned from here. I also read alot of post about pegging the maf.

should I go ahead and buy the maf now or see if my maf pegged first? can I still put the sct maf even it the stock doesn't pegged? and is it safe to drive around with it without a tune for it?

thanks,
Rudy

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Rudy, i look at it this way. After you put the Apten on you are going to go get it tuned.Your tuning the car and your MAF does peg. Now you have to make another appointment, buy a MAF and retune the car again.

Alot of people are running their stock MAFs and they are pegging @ a very high RPM. @ my power level i am very very close to pegging my stock MAF. I am planning on changing it next year however. You can get away using the stock MAF, but its going to be close for the MAF and the pumps are going to be pretty close to max as well. Its a tough call.

Dave

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Rudy, I'm with Dave on this one. Before I had Apten port my blower I was making 457rwhp and 480rwtq. I took a chance and didn't upgrade my fuel pumps or meter. Well, the porting got me up to 504rwhp and 494rwtq. And guess what? I pegged the meter and maxed out the pumps. There have been others who got by the '500' mark without having to upgrade the meter, pumps or injectors. But from my own experience if I were to do it again I would do the following while my blower was being ported.
1. Install Mjchip's MafXtender.
2. Switch to Focus or Aviator fuel pumps (my own personal preference). Another option is Kenne Bell's Boost-A-Pump.
3. Install bigger injectors.

I look at it this way, why push your systems to the max and upgrade later than sooner? If there is even the possibility of maxing your meter, for example, play it safe and upgrade now. You'll have greater peace of mind and maybe fewer headaches to deal with later. And larger injectors will reduce the work your pumps have to do.

Rudy

Twin screwed
Established Member
thanks for the replies guys, I guess it's a never ending process. where is the cheapest place to get the sct maf?
what exactly happens when the pump maxed out?

MysticSN95

Established Member
If you max your pump out it won't pump enough fuel to your engine ,which means it will lean out ,which is very very bad.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Rudy said:
thanks for the replies guys, I guess it's a never ending process. where is the cheapest place to get the sct maf?
what exactly happens when the pump maxed out?
Rudy, I believe you can get it from Apten. Don't know the price. It's a good choice. Forgot to mention it above.

ALA G8R

Banned
There are two options open to you. The SCT 2400 MAF at $225 to $250 or the MAF extender at $100.

I got my SCT MAF from James at RWTD. James tuned the SCT MAF for the DiabloSport Predator. I haven't heard of too many tuners have shown that they to that to date.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread