Do flywheel and clutch assembly have to match?

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
What are the chances my new Ford Racing billet steel flywheel doesn't match up to my new Promotion clutch assembly? I'm getting a vibration that feels like it coming from a rotating mass. Sometimes my clutch quadrant even rattles when im not touching the clutch pedal. when I'm just cruising my clutch pedal shakes very bad. I still have the vibration with clutch pedal to the floor. I'm trying to narrow things down from the tranny, to the PP, and the flywheel. I'm sending the flywheel and the PP to be spun and checked for balance and the input shaft to the tranny is getting checked as well. I hope i can turn up with something. any ideas?

SlowSVT

Established Member
If Promotion sold a Ford PP that was not a direct bolt-on replacement they would not be in business very long.

If this is a balance issue it would vibrate constantly not intermittently. It could be an out of balance drive shaft, a bad pilot or throughout bearing. The flywheel and PP fiction surface could be warped but that produces chatter when releasing it. Take it to a mechanic of a second opinion. Try to diagnose where it's coming from before you rip the car apart or you may end up with the same problem when done. My gut tells me your answer will be found inside the bell housing but don't be too sure of that.

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
If Promotion sold a Ford PP that was not a direct bolt-on replacement they would not be in business very long.

If this is a balance issue it would vibrate constantly not intermittently. It could be an out of balance drive shaft, a bad pilot or throughout bearing. The flywheel and PP fiction surface could be warped but that produces chatter when releasing it. Take it to a mechanic of a second opinion. Try to diagnose where it's coming from before you rip the car apart or you may end up with the same problem when done. My gut tells me your answer will be found inside the bell housing but don't be too sure of that.[

it doesn't do it intermittently. it does it constantly.
I bought the flywheel from tousley. and i got the dick and PP from Promotion. The shop that let install my clutch last year is the ones who installed my new setup. The mechanic was out of the shop for a month so he let his other guy put everything back in. I also brought them a new TOB, PP bolts, TOB retainer sleeve, and new flywheel bolts.
From the time that i brought my car in for a clutch job till now, it has been 2 months. And my mechanic still isnt going to be back till next week. So i have a buddy of mine that has a lift, he tore everything down and didnt see anything out of the ordinary. Except that my input shaft has a little movement. But I'm getting an opinion on that tomorrow hopefully.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
My answer is a qualified yes.

As long as the clutch and pressure plate bolt up and have the proper static pressure engagement then they will work together.

But you should take the pair to a good machine shop and have the dynamic balance checked and adjusted if necessary.

But it is so much easier to buy a matched set from one single manufacturer that it generally isn't worth bothering.

Quick Strike

Established Member
A rotating assembly out of balance will have a vibration in a particular RPM band. It will go in and out of vibration as you pass this band or will be constant in that band. It is best to have the flywheel checked and rendered 0 balance when you install it, and have the new clutch plate balanced to the flywheel as well. I have installed new Centerforce and Spec clutch plates in my car and both needed a little weight added to the clutch plate to make the balance right. Doing this before the installation is much easier then after!

Last edited:

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
A rotating assembly out of balance will have a vibration in a particular RPM band. It will go in and out of vibration as you pass this band or will be constant in that band. It is best to have the flywheel checked and rendered 0 balance when you install it, and have the new clutch plate balanced to the flywheel as well. I have installed new Centerforce and Spec clutch plates in my car and both needed a little weight added to the clutch plate to make the balance right. Doing this before the installation is much easier then after!

im having trouble finding a place out here to do that. I have a buddy with the same setup and his is fine.

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
ok, so i found a place. I brought it to them and they said the flywheel was 3 grams off and when they added the PP it is now 20 grams off. whatever that all means. i wouldnt now what is acceptable or not acceptable. of course in a perfect world it would be 0 grams, but thats not the case. I dont know how to proceed. They brought up switching back to my stock flywheel and just get it re-surfaced. But wouldnt that be the same thing as balancing it with the new flywheel in the end? they said if they was to add some weight on the PP of the new setup it would bring it down from 20 grams to 7 grams. whatever that means. oh, and the transmission shop where i dropped off the tranny says that my input shaft is fine, but wanted to ask if i wanted to go into the tranny. I'm like why would i need to do that if the shaft is fine. he says to check the endplay I would need to pull the fron cover off and use a pry bar to something and I'm like uhhh, no.. i asked how much i owed them so far for "checking the endplay and runoff" they say nothing, so, I'm going get in the morning and try and find somewhere who will actually use a dial indicator to give me some real numbers. Don't want to do this myself, i want a professional opinion. and, are our engines internally balanced or external?

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
ok, so i found a place. I brought it to them and they said the flywheel was 3 grams off and when they added the PP it is now 20 grams off. whatever that all means. i wouldnt now what is acceptable or not acceptable. of course in a perfect world it would be 0 grams, but thats not the case. I dont know how to proceed. They brought up switching back to my stock flywheel and just get it re-surfaced. But wouldnt that be the same thing as balancing it with the new flywheel in the end? they said if they was to add some weight on the PP of the new setup it would bring it down from 20 grams to 7 grams. whatever that means. oh, and the transmission shop where i dropped off the tranny says that my input shaft is fine, but wanted to ask if i wanted to go into the tranny. I'm like why would i need to do that if the shaft is fine. he says to check the endplay I would need to pull the fron cover off and use a pry bar to something and I'm like uhhh, no.. i asked how much i owed them so far for "checking the endplay and runoff" they say nothing, so, I'm going get in the morning and try and find somewhere who will actually use a dial indicator to give me some real numbers. Don't want to do this myself, i want a professional opinion. and, are our engines internally balanced or external?

PM sent

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
Had the Flywheel and PP balanced together. Everything was installed tonight. Running like a champ. I cant believe the vibration was from the PP and flywheel needing to be balanced together. Shouldn't Promotion be aware of their PP's needing balance?

TRBO VNM

Had the Flywheel and PP balanced together. Everything was installed tonight. Running like a champ. I cant believe the vibration was from the PP and flywheel needing to be balanced together. Shouldn't Promotion be aware of their PP's needing balance?

When I talked to them about this, they are supposed to be balanced before promotion even receives them. And some of their kits use factory PP's. I haven't had any issues like this with the promotion clutches I have installed. glad you got it sorted out.

DjOrionXTR

Established Member
When I talked to them about this, they are supposed to be balanced before promotion even receives them. And some of their kits use factory PP's. I haven't had any issues like this with the promotion clutches I have installed. glad you got it sorted out.

who knows... the flywheel comes into play also. it could of been the flywheel..but yeah i agree.. glad its over

Users who are viewing this thread