Do Diff Covers Work or Are They Just Bling?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
For me the greatest value in aftermarket is making it much easier to change the fluid.

Buying a $200 cover with a drain> taking off and resealing the cover every time you change the fluid.

One time my dad took the excursion back and forth to Orlando under some load and was driving at a spirited pace. Burned up the rear end. Swapped on a mag hytec and has yet to destroy the rear end.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Ask yourself this:

If you were a car manufacturer who warranteed the drivetrain in the vehicles you sold, wouldn't you put this on your truck/suv lineup if it worked to help reduce rear end failures at all?

Beyond that, the covers that offer cap pre-loading bolts only bandaid deflection on diffs that are way overloaded, like using an GM 8-bolt with slicks.....they'll still break

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I had a Mag HyTec on my 2012 Raptor and made changing the fluid (the one time I did it) easier. It looked nice, but that's not enough reason to put one on my 2018 Raptor.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I had a Mag HyTec on my 2012 Raptor and made changing the fluid (the one time I did it) easier. It looked nice, but that's not enough reason to put one on my 2018 Raptor.

I have Mag HyTecs on both axles and the trans on my F-350. I don't know about the diffs, but the pan def made a big temperature difference on the trans.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I have Mag HyTecs on both axles and the trans on my F-350. I don't know about the diffs, but the pan def made a big temperature difference on the trans.

Put one on the Lightning. Temp stays really low, like 150-160 degrees.
Only downside it hangs low.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Put one on the Lightning. Temp stays really low, like 150-160 degrees.
Only downside it hangs low.

I had a Moroso pan for it that I never installed. It didn't hang any lower than stock. However, it would not fit with my Kenny Brown X-Factor brace. So I still just have the stock pan on the L.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I think it's context that truly determines it's effectiveness.

Case in point: My IRS swapped fox. LPW cover is without a doubt 20 times thicker, stronger, and easier to work with due to the drain/fill plugs.

Stick axle 8.8 foxbody with a mini spool/slicks? Nah. It's still going to break even with a cover. Fluid capacity, cap loads, and temp has nothing to do when you're ringing the teeth off a gear.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Both the 11 & 14 came with these..
IMG_3019.jpg

01-02-2015_free_oil_change_002.jpg

omj

Established Member
For me the greatest value in aftermarket is making it much easier to change the fluid.

Buying a $200 cover with a drain> taking off and resealing the cover every time you change the fluid.

One time my dad took the excursion back and forth to Orlando under some load and was driving at a spirited pace. Burned up the rear end. Swapped on a mag hytec and has yet to destroy the rear end.

I use the stock covers with a lube locker gasket. I just loosen the bolts, let it drain, then retorque.

Users who are viewing this thread