Do Certain Colors Bring More Money on the Used Terminator Market?

zredfire04

Established Member
meh...when i was shopping for cars color was at the bottom of my list of concerns. my personal preference is for the less loud colors, so the "premium" for CO and MC wouldn't apply to me in terms of perceived value...meaning, i wouldn't pay extra for those colors simply because i don't see any extra value in them. especially MC...you gonna paint the whole car when it gets scratched?

i've owned 4 mustangs. 2 red, 2 blue. not because i'm partial to those colors, just because that's what i ended up with LOL.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I understand comp orange is a rare color on Terminators, but I see a lot of comp orange out driving around and they all seem to be V6s. I’d get more fired-up about the color if it was only on the Terminators. I personally wouldn’t pay a premium for it, but that’s what makes this hobby so fun and interesting. We all have different tastes and can get whatever tickles our fancy. ANY Terminator is awesome, no matter what the color. Some colors just have a larger fan base than others.
I have been saying this for years, everyone get all excited because it is rare on the cobras but in reality it was used on every vehicle ford produces. For now it will hold its value but i honestly don’t think it will last. MC on the other hand was only available on the cobras and if any color will maintain the premium it is MC. I could sell my MC today for what I paid in 06 in spite of the fact it has more miles on it

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
especially MC...you gonna paint the whole car when it gets scratched?

Not true. Some Mystichrome owners have had parts repainted successfully. My understanding is unlike a regular color where you would most likely paint to a panel line, with Mystichrome, you blend and stop prior to a panel line/end. The paint has a vivid flop. If the panel flops a different color, it might stand out, but if the middle of the panel flops differently, it blends better with the shifting colors across the car.

Someone that has done some MC paint work might be able to give more or better info.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Not true. Some Mystichrome owners have had parts repainted successfully. My understanding is unlike a regular color where you would most likely paint to a panel line, with Mystichrome, you blend and stop prior to a panel line/end. The paint has a vivid flop. If the panel flops a different color, it might stand out, but if the middle of the panel flops differently, it blends better with the shifting colors across the car.

Someone that has done some MC paint work might be able to give more or better info.
Pretty much spot on. I had my underhood painted and the guy that did it said that it was not that hard to blend if the painter knew what they were doing. I would be checking the refs of anyone I was thinking of doing my paint

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I will absolutely pay more for a color (and did). However, the condition of the car will equally influence this premium. Another case in point of a price premium for a color? Try comparing the prices of a red 06 FGT to a "heritage" FGT.

As for matching MC? Saleen did it, the Saleen body kit on our termileen matches perfectly.

GodStang

Established Member
As said before the rare colors do usually come with a premium. Over the 15 years I have had this car I have always watched the markets and it seems CO, MC, and Sonic Blue have been the most sought after and bring the highest prices over the years. In fact when I was first looking for one I wanted SB or CO but decided that being a gamecock alum I could not own an Orange car.

dom418

Established Member
I have been saying this for years, everyone get all excited because it is rare on the cobras but in reality it was used on every vehicle ford produces. For now it will hold its value but i honestly don’t think it will last. MC on the other hand was only available on the cobras and if any color will maintain the premium it is MC. I could sell my MC today for what I paid in 06 in spite of the fact it has more miles on it

For CO, It’s been 14 years and shows no signs of stopping. It’s simply a fact that color brings more whether people like it or hate it, or whether it was produced on V6s. To me that does not matter. If someone wants a Cobra in CO, They have to pay up. It’s a rare color on the cobra

People shopping for a CO aren’t cross shopping V6 mustangs or Mach 1s.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
IMO CO has always pulled more money than anything else. I feel like MC is second (again thats just my opinion). I did make money on an OW car but I honestly feel like the way I take care of my cars and the timing of when I bought and sold it, I could have made money on just about any color.

I like about every color, even ZY has its moments but I feel like ZY and Black are at the bottom of the list. A clean black 10th car can be a game changer though.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
You are Glenn. Me well, just a...

LOL, thanks for the confidence booster Brad LMAO!!! However, I agree and do consider myself officially over the hill LOL.....:p

I feel like ZY and Black are at the bottom of the list.

I agree with you only because black is a job to own. My 380R is black and I will never buy another black car. However, black is the color produced the most on a Cobra and I think a black Cobra looks the meanest of them all.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Where does Oxford White fall in the scheme?
I too was wondering this since I have one. It was sub 10k miles when I purchase it and I paid what I feel was a premium. I would have paid the same price for a CO, Mystichrome, or black. But some of the other colors I don’t think I would have pulled the trigger.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I too was wondering this since I have one. It was sub 10k miles when I purchase it and I paid what I feel was a premium. I would have paid the same price for a CO, Mystichrome, or black. But some of the other colors I don’t think I would have pulled the trigger.

Just remember your matching diecast increases the value of your car LMAO!!!!

Comp04svt

Established Member
I've owned mine for 9 years, and at the time, really didn't realize that CO was rare. I wasn't really looking for CO either, I was just looking for something clean, low miles and modded. With that said what I paid I thought was a premium, more for the condition of the car and mods, not the color. It worked out that this car I felt was the nicest car available at the time, happened to be CO. I've been keeping an eye on the market for CO, and yeah there's definitely more of a premium for them. I guess if I ever chose to sell it, its nice id probably get at least what I paid, or more for it. But the nice thing is, that in general the market for these cars has been pretty solid regardless of color. So even if you didn't pay a color premium it seems you would still break even in a lot of cases.

AzSonicSnake

Slowpiece
Established Member
I know when I bought mine in '06 the color seemed to really vary the price. I searched high and low to find my SB coupe. Paid a premium ($24k) for a high mileage car (43k) as well. But, thankfully since it isn't my DD i've only put 11k on it since i bought it. Seems like I am asked at every car show I've been to if I'd sell it. 12 years later and the song remains the same.

Users who are viewing this thread