Do Catalytic Converters Rob Horsepower?

FlowmasterMufflers

Established Member
[video=youtube;OSMcHg_7eo4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMcHg_7eo4[/video]
Flowmaster's ceramic substrate catalytic converters are intended for severe duty/high temperature applications and are engineered to meet or exceed both OEM and USEPA standards for performance and longevity. Protected by a 25,000 mile performance/emissions warranty as well as a 5-year/50,000 mile case warranty, these 49-state catalytic converters are designed for long lasting durability and performance.

Last edited:

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
Good video, I've always wanted to see a side by side comparison with and without cats. Now if only you guys can design one that won't rob me of the roar, deceleration pops, or smell of gasoline. It just wouldn't be a cobra without them!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
interesting but Id be interested to see it done again on a much higher HP car, seems like theres got to be a point at which they become a restriction

jfsram

Established Member
Not sure how these Flowmaster catalytic converters compare to the ones from Magnaflow. The problem with Magnaflow comverters is the life is short. Not really short, but not almost "lifetime" like a factory OEM converter.

Most if not all aftermarket cat converters work great on emissions numbers when they are new but rapidly deteriorate in about 5 years. Factory converters test low emissions numbers still after 10 years.

Coiled03

Established Member
I might've halfway believed it if you tried to tell me there was no power loss. But suggesting that cats actually INCREASE power? Please.

klr16G

Established Member
Not saying cats are bad but we all know that cats rob power for the blower cars, Not so much for the N/A guys but cool product and glad they are worried about the environment. Hope they sell a lot of these to the older muscle car guys!!

mavisky

Established Member
interesting but Id be interested to see it done again on a much higher HP car, seems like theres got to be a point at which they become a restriction

I'm sure there is, but I remember back in my import days reading about a tuning shop in Japan that dealth with emissions testing by running a 3" downpipe from the turbo into a y-pipe with dual 2.5" high flow cats and back into a single 3" out the rear. They were making 850-1000hp on various turbo 4's with cats.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
This is no surprise, its not 1970 anymore.

The only gains I see are for turbo cars that gain quicker spool with the reduction of backpressure which results in a broader powerband. The rest of people I feel do it just for sound, even though many cases it sounds pretty horrendous.

92GreenGT

Turbos FTW!!!
Established Member
My GTO doesn't have cats on it and I hate it. I'll be adding a set of 3" high flows to get some of that god awful LS sound out of it. My turbo fox had a single 3" cat and it lost 2-3hp and gained a few trq numbers.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
This is no surprise, its not 1970 anymore.

The only gains I see are for turbo cars that gain quicker spool with the reduction of backpressure which results in a broader powerband. The rest of people I feel do it just for sound, even though many cases it sounds pretty horrendous.
Pretty much this.

oldmodman

Established Member
and let me guess, CA is the one state these are not compliant for?

That's right.

I have had the SMOG test tech actually get a mirror to look under my lowered Cobra to look at the cats. He went all the to the point where he wrote down the numbers on the cats and entered them into his computer.

I asked him what you have to do if you hit a speed bump and crush them. I was told that you must purchase them from Ford or an authorized re-manufacturer that has engraved a California EO# on the part.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
That's right.

I have had the SMOG test tech actually get a mirror to look under my lowered Cobra to look at the cats. He went all the to the point where he wrote down the numbers on the cats and entered them into his computer.

I asked him what you have to do if you hit a speed bump and crush them. I was told that you must purchase them from Ford or an authorized re-manufacturer that has engraved a California EO# on the part.

Which I'm sure is very affordable.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm always on the fence with which to go with. I want maximum hp with my exhaust setup. This winter I'll be buying ARH LT headers along with there midpipe, and can't decide if I should go with cats or not?

Users who are viewing this thread