Do 2004's have the Stall problem?

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
:shrug: Our assumption has to be that Ford didn't change the catalytic converters just for fun..therefore, there are three logical reasons they could have done that:

1. New computer program with the stall "fix" required larger cats to fix emission increase.
2. Old cats were getting clogged all the time, and of poor quality, so ford changed suppliers for their cats and used larger ones to prevent clogging.
3. Ford located a cheaper cat and is saving money by installing these, and the new cats just happen to be larger for no apparent reason.

Which of these is the real reason, we as the buying public may never know, but we can eliminate one of those options if a 2004 car developes the stall problem. I only have 350 miles on mine, so I am not a reliable test for the stall, but no stalls yet *knock on wood*.

Last edited:

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
No the 04's do not have the FIX yet just like the 03's. The cat's are different because of different emmisions for 04's. They are also bigger to try and help fuel economy to keep out of the gas guzzler tax.

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
Well: (SVTADVISOR)

If your an SVT service advisor you would know... but then
howcome idles are 750 & holding and there is a new program
code. In fact, why don't you give us the whole lowdown on all
or any updates as well as continuing problems-I/m sure the
whole board would be appreciating anything you have to
inject.

Last edited:

florida03

Banned
Its crazy!
I have had my car almost 1 year, not 1 stall
never. I feel for the some of the people going
through this BS. Allso my good friend has an 03
and no stall and he has 28000 miles on the clock.
Weird.

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
Originally posted by florida03
Its crazy!
I have had my car almost 1 year, not 1 stall
never. I feel for the some of the people going
through this BS. Allso my good friend has an 03
and no stall and he has 28000 miles on the clock.
Weird.

Perhaps it's your climate. I know that the majority of my stalls have come just after a cold front or other drastic weather change.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
I noticed that my driving habits are not conducive to creating the stall. I virtually never coast in neutral. Even when I am slowing down with my clutch in, I still shift down through the gears, so that in case I need to start up again I will be in the right gear. My understanding is that the stall happens when people are slowing down with the clutch in and the shifter in neutral.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It will be interesting to hear of a first '04 stall. Don't the '04s idle a bit higher than the '03s? If so, that might contribute to the "fix".

Wayneo

Established Member
I hate the stall in my 03. One day it happened twice in 10 minutes and the one time I was coming up to an intersection. Scared the sh*t out of me.

robbcwz

Established Member
2,500 miles and no stall. Idle started at 750 but since about 1,000 is has settled at 700. The only thing I would note is that (compared to my 02 GT) when you push in the clutch, or if you rev it at rest, it does hold the higher revs longer and the drop to idle takes much longer.

Grimlock

Established Member
1600 miles and no stall. I cruise in neutral sometimes and have yet to have a problem.

nuxx

Established Member
While my 04 is stock I'll watch out for the stall.

My 10th had a stalling problem until I put the Predator and custom tune on it, then it was fine. Without the Predator it would stall a few times.

I'll let you know. If it really bothers you, get a chip and up the idle a tiny bit.
-Peter

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
not sure about the coasting in neutral, mine has stalled a couple times sitting at a light waiting to go, cluch and break depressed
and bang stall. It hasnt happened since replace the CAI
but that might not have had anything to do with it.

mine has never stalled when coming to a stop, only while sitting at a stop. maybe a different problem.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I have 1200 miles, no stall or eratic idle. If you asked I would say that mine idles at about 800, but no higher.

CGoeschel

Established Member
Ive got an '04 vert with no stalling issues at all. The idle is better than the '03 I had as well, it doesnt "hunt" or drop below 750 rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread