DLP, LCD, or Plasma??

astig00

The MONEY PIT!!
Established Member
I haven't bought a new TV in damn near 10 years. Now we are in the market for one and there are so many choices. I would like a 60" or bigger TV but am unsure of what type, brand to get, or stay away from. I would appreciate your help!!

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
astig00 said:
I haven't bought a new TV in damn near 10 years. Now we are in the market for one and there are so many choices. I would like a 60" or bigger TV but am unsure of what type, brand to get, or stay away from. I would appreciate your help!!
What's your source? (digi cable, digi sat, etc) The toshiba dlp's kick ass and are very reasonable imo, they look awesome on digi sat. Sony's grand wega lcd looks awesome too, esp on digi cable...I might be picking up a 42" soon. Plasma is good but I want my expensive tv to last alot longer, plus they're all over-priced imo. Stay away from anything sharp/zenith/rca.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
Get an LCD or a DLP. My dad just bought a 61" lcd and its amazing.
Too bad you didnt live close, you could use my discount at bestbuy.

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I have a 60" Sony Grand Wega LCD. It looks really good (especially in HD) and I haven't had any problems with it at all in 2.5 years. The only drawbacks to the LCD tv's are black replication, but my tv looks fine. LCD's have very bright, vibrant colors. A similarly sized plasma that performs this well would cost at least double what I paid for this one.

davidsk5018

Established Member
Go with a DLP. My father in law has a 60 inch with HD. It is really nice. He had a plasma, but took it back after 1 day. He is having a 106" screen put in the media room in his new house with a DLP projector. Can't wait to watch christmas football on that beast!

astig00

The MONEY PIT!!
Established Member
We will be using DISH Network for service. So Samsung, Sony, Mitsubishi are decent brands?? Also, would you recommend going to Best Buy/ Circuit City and buying their extended warranties??

Last edited:

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...d=cat03001&type=category&categoryRep=cat03000

Check out the "Understand TV Technologies". They show the options you suggested, plus some. If this is too biased for you, just do a search on google and you'll come up with a plethora of information.

I used to work at Circuit City and can attest to the cons of Plasma. They are cool if you want that shock value for when people come in your home. However, you can attain similar, if not the same results with DLP and/or LCD.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Check out the JVC HD-ILA lineup. JVC claims good things about them, being better than either LCD or DLP (but of course JVC wants to sell their product). I would normally stay away from JVC, but a friend of mine who works for an electronics distributor turned me on to this lineup of TV's and he claims the image is way better than any DLP or LCD he's seen from Sony, Phillip's, etc.

Here's a link...

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD4208500&PathId=114#

Pussy_Liquor

...Your Honda Sux
Established Member
If you're looking for a 60", go DLP. Don't waste you're money on the built-in HD tuner (unless you want broadcast HDTV which you will override with the Dish anyway). As for brands, Sony is the best overall but a little more pricey than the competition. Samsung is underrated and has a ton of cool features that the others don't. JVC HDILA probably has the best picture but also has alot of problems. When I sold JVC, about half would get returned due to malfuntions. Hitachi is up there with Sony but has uglier cases IMO. As for the warranty, make sure it covers the bulb. Have them circle it in the pamplet or put it in writing. VERY IMPORTANT! The bulbs tend to have a short life span. They can range from $100 to about $450 plus install. Good luck.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I have all 3 in my house, well we gave the dlp away. i have a 32" samsung lcd in my room and a 42" and 60" lg plasma in the front room and master bedroom...we used to have a 60" sony dlp...I like the plasma's pic the best. It seems the lcd is real clear, but it seems to not keep up with color change as fast and smooth as the plasma. The DLP is a great bang for the buck...it has an awesome picture (not as good as the plasma or lcd, but close when on HD), but it's really bulky. For non HD, the 32" lcd rules...then the plasma. I though regular non HD tv on the dlp was sub par...almost to the point where a tube is better.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
If you buy the tv at costco, you can return it whenever. It has a lifetime guarantee. I will have a Samsung dlp most likely. If it were plasma I would buy it at costco so I could exchange it for a new one if it ever failed.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
mjzilinski said:
Get an LCD or a DLP. My dad just bought a 61" lcd and its amazing.
Too bad you didnt live close, you could use my discount at bestbuy.
Haha, I am also a Best Buy employee at the moment. Nothing like a $5000 TV for $2800.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
plan b said:
If you buy the tv at costco, you can return it whenever. It has a lifetime guarantee. I will have a Samsung dlp most likely. If it were plasma I would buy it at costco so I could exchange it for a new one if it ever failed.

AMEN, brotha.

I just traded my 53" projection for a 60" LCD, plus the difference in cost of course.

Costco RULES!!!

FuryShift

You are slow.
Established Member
I'd get a plasma, no other tv is nearly as bright or clear, period. They are a bit more expensive obviously but the difference is worth it. They do get a little warmer than others because of the gas reaction though so you need it in a well ventilated area to increase longetivity. By the time it wears out there will be televisions available that will make it obsolete anyways, everyone will always want something better.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Doesn't the tube in the plasma last longer than the LCD? I was told that although the LCDs were cheaper (and near plasma in picture quality) they only lasted about 5 years.

Every time I go to Costco I am mezermised by their LCD sets. Great prices, too. Except I always noticed a big difference in color between them. Makes me wonder what I'll actually get when I get it home.

Users who are viewing this thread