DIY vortech intercooler questions

pacific4v

Established Member
I have a 97 cobra with a s-trim and a procharger 3 core intercooler set up as a blow through maf sensor with the bypass vented to the atmosphere. Im running a sct ba2600 maf sensor. I had the car tuned last summer but the tuner said my maf sensor pegged at 5600rpm. It said it was because I used too small of a diameter for the piping. From the blower to the intercooler is 3". From the intercooler to the throttle body is 2.5" diameter. They're different diameters because i had to make the smaller side myself. My question is should i use 3" or 3.5" from the intercooler to the throttle body? I don't want to go too small again but i don't want to go to big either. If i go 3" tho Im having a hard time finding a silicone coupler to mate the throttle body to the piping(4.5"-3" reducer). I only expect around 12-13psi since it made 9.5psi at 5600rpm. What do u guys think?

coposrv

Established Member
3" will be fine. 3.5 will give better MAF resolution if you have the room. Racepartssolutions.com should have couplers in both sizes.

dwtjr3

Established Member
Look at silicone intakes.

They have a great selection of couplers. I use them for all my couplers and vband clamps

SilverSteed

Established Member
Why not go slot style maf and forget pegging. I recently picked up all the stuff and found some smokin deals. Waiting on parts as we speak. :)

ctgreddy

Established Member
^ bingo! go 3" and get a vmp 05 mustang slot style maf and you wont have that issue. 3" will support plenty of power. it seems on a forced induction car with a centri/turbo the inlet piping isn't that much of a restriction, my buddy has a ysi 2v with 3" intercooler piping making around 700whp. I have another buddy with a built evo w/ gt35 making 600awhp with 2.5" piping, 40 lbs of boost. just go 3" and you wont have to worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread