*DIY* Oil Separator/Catch Can w/Pics & Write Up!!! :)

HandsomeRob

Established Member
The blue matches good
0ba5e36f.jpg

ssp.vortech

Established Member
lol
i think i forgot a step in my 'How To"
My seperator dripped oil on my headers for a couple days.
I was driving around town smelling burnt oil and couldnt figure it out till one day i caught the sum of a bitch. I ended up using epoxy on the Seperator i bought from lowes and used a rubber vacuum cap on the Husky unit from home depot.
The oil leak could have been due to the separator expanding from engine heat

HandsomeRob

Established Member
the oil leak was from the plastic container not being built for negative pressure. Its built to seal with positive pressure. When hooked up to a PCV valve its literally sucking it open at the bottom. So u have to epoxy it. A vacuum cap wont work either

xTomKx

Established Member
Rob,
What type of epoxy did you use? JB weld?

Where did you get those T-bolt clamps for the TB?

Last edited:

HandsomeRob

Established Member
T bolt clamps are hard to find sometimes.
Call this # he has a shit load of them. They are from turbonetics
1(877)SPOOL-UP Its the shop that did my intercooler. Deeds Performance in chatsworth CA
Tell Josh that Rob with the white cobra sent you.
He has all diferent sizes. The ones on my tB are 4.5"
Dont use JB Weld. Just normal Epoxy!
Check Target or Walmart
Example!
http://www.buy.com/prod/loctite-quick-set-epoxy/q/listingid/47147541/loc/66357/210578627.html

MOmystic

WashMOmystic
Established Member
Handsome Rob - I like your oil seperator/catch can so much that I went out and bought the one at Lowe's like you have. I am pretty dumb when it comes to ordering an fittings and was wondering if you have the part #'s of the fittings and ss hose you needed to make this work. Im sure I have to order special fittings so they will connect right to the pcv and vacuum nipple, right? I also want to run my passenger side to my powerpipe like you have. What do I need to make this work? Your help is greatly appreciated.

xTomKx

Established Member
-8 AN lines and hose clamps. Copper fittings for the catch can you can get from lowes or home depot.

Rob, Thanks for the info on the T-bolt clamps.

MOmystic

WashMOmystic
Established Member
-8 AN lines and hose clamps. Copper fittings for the catch can you can get from lowes or home depot.

Rob, Thanks for the info on the T-bolt clamps.

Im still lost. Do you have a pic or part number to the an fitiings I should order? I just want to make sure they fit on the intake vacuum nipple and pcv valve.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
Looks like I'm going to be jumping on this wagon. After the mobile 1 and Lucas oil change I noticed some extra oil on my valve covers that I normally did not see over the years. I run a breather on each valve cover for my N/A stocker. I wonder If the lucas sealed up some of my valve seals? I'm going with the Summit catch can (G1304) and running a hose out of each valve cover to the catch can. The intake is already plugged.
Thanks for the info SVTP:beer: BTW I also saw a G1504 and cant see a difference. Does anybody know the difference between the 2 from summit?

sum-g1304_w.gif

the 1504 looks skinnier and more round to me. plus i compared them both and feature wise they are identical except for the 1504 comes with mounting hardware while the 1304 does not. Not really a big deal though.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Hay thanks alot. good eye. Mine should be here today. not sure which one I got. but it's basically like those 2. From what I understand JAZ make them anyway.
Thanks Rob for starting this thread a while back cause I would have never done this simple mod. I was never really sold on the oil separator because I do not want anything going into my intake.

Last edited:

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
Guys,

Not to trying to lick the red off anyone's candy here, but one one of the main reasons for venting the valve covers is due to the oil mist that travels into the inlet tube from the passenger valve cover. Especially as an engine ages, the oil that can travel into the TB can be excessive. The approach used here seems to help with oil travelling through the PCV but you need to also make sure none travels through the TB from the other vent. I guess you could always add a 2nd catch can on that side.

The other reason is to depressurize the crank case under boost. I remember a test where by venting the valve covers a guy gained 15 rwhp on his 550rwhp 99GT. Some guys go as far as to use a small vacuum pump to suck on the valve covers.

Food for thought.

Chris

Last edited:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Rob,

The way an oil separator works:

The separator is a wide space in the hose. As a gas goes through a wide space in a hose, the relative pressure drops compared to the pressure in the hose. When the pressure drops, vapors tend to condense and form drops and the drops falls. This is exactly the same way rain forms in low pressure atmospheric conditions.

In the atmosphere, the raindrop condensation is started around tiny little dust particles, because a bit of solid matter makes it easier for the drops to form.

The loofah or the steel wool (or whatever) just provides that solid matter that encourages the oil drops to form and the oil "rain" to fall into the bottom of the separator. Different material won't matter as long as it doesn't plug up, such as what happens if you leave a ceramic filter in the separator. So you can put pretty much whatever you want, scrubber, loofah, steel wool or window screen mesh and it will work. In fact Honda B-series motors have a can full of steel wool that automatically drains back into the block.

The only thing to worry about are bits of metal getting back into your intake via the PCV system if you are still using it. With my PCV system, I use aluminum screen material with the ends crimped so I get condensation and no bits of aluminum back in my intake.

HandsomeRob

Established Member
good info
I dont think the copper will ever break apart but can u show me a pic of the aluminum screen. I am open for new ideas. Let me see your pimp PCV system :)

4CAMMR

Established Member
This is a really great thread. I've been running an open filter on the driver's side valve cover, but really hate the oil smell when I have the vents on (I assume I'm pulling it in through the cowl).

Quick question: this setup only takes care of the PCV setup on the driver's side of the engine. The passenger side valve cover also vents to the intake track. Is anyone teeing the two sides together and running the, both into one separator, or is that not necessary for some reason?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Actually, when the PCV system is working, the normal air flow goes from the intake into the passenger side valve cover, down through the crackcase, back up through the driver's side valve cover, through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold. The PCV valve is supposed to keep it from flowing the other way.

If you vent one one side to atmosphere, you should not leave the other side hooked up to the intake system or you will let unmetered air into the system.

If you are venting one side of the crankcase, then you are actually venting both, so running a pipe from both places to a common separator will work the same as plugging one side and running the other to the separator.

Users who are viewing this thread