DIY Lower Grille Delete Help

Fluffy110

Established Member
Looking for some detailed pics and information on a lower grille delete without having to buy the roush kit...

I know Five.Slow and some other members have done them nicely, just looking for info on them.

Thanks everyone...

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
It is actually pretty simple.

-Remove your front bumper

-Remove stock lower grille

-Take a Dremel and cut the plastic structuring out that is behind the lower grille

-Reinstall front bumper

Relatively easy but the Roush insert does look nice.

Fluffy110

Established Member
Fair enough....

Thank you GPcalero.

Yeah I was looking at it and it's really nice, but it's ridiculous to pay for parts I don't need...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I was going to do it DIY also but when I found out whats included with the Roush kit, you'd be crazy to not buy it.

It actually comes with steel reinforcements that firm up the "floppiness" of that area of the bumper which becomes even more pronounced when you cut out the lower section.

For $290 its a no brainer.

Plus it hides your cuts real well with the included plastic air dam.

IMG_0614_zpslikfbmvs.jpg

IMG_0616_zpsrirmdqtz.jpg

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I was going to do it DIY also but when I found out whats included with the Roush kit, you'd be crazy to not buy it.

It actually comes with steel reinforcements that firm up the "floppiness" of that area of the bumper which becomes even more pronounced when you cut out the lower section.

For $290 its a no brainer.

Plus it hides your cuts real well with the included plastic air dam.

IMG_0614_zpslikfbmvs.jpg

IMG_0616_zpsrirmdqtz.jpg

I've installed three of these so far, including my own, and not on one have I installed the brackets. PITA and isn't really needed to me. None of them seemed floppy so in the trash the brackets went. A lot of people don't end up using the brackets and that makes the cost of the thing pretty pricey for a piece of plastic and a pain to install lol

I've taken mine up to 160 and had no problems lol.

Yours looks great btw.

23FDAC9D-846E-4763-9701-36F4FA2CA2E2_zpsnf9xct1p.jpg

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I respectfully VERY much disagree. The brackets make the kit and are very much needed IMO.

Especially if you don't run the bottom air dam like I don't.

you car looks great!! love f14s.

Fluffy110

Established Member
So it seems like worst case scenario, I could make a bracket or piece to reinforce the bummer if it seems too weak?!?!..

Sorry for the questions guys, I build superbikes, not cars this is a new world to me...

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
I don't run the brackets ether, when I put the vmp intercooler in they were in the way so I took them off.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
lol you mean the heat exchanger.

Yeah I don't think they seemed like they would fit with mine either, but didn't try.

Vert

Established Member
I run the vmp 3 core HE and you can't use the brackets and I've not had any issues.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
The rough kit is a dumb joke on price. Oh and the reinforcements? Why? They are not needed. Over engineered. Sorry but il stick with my $50 delete.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The brackets don't fit unless you improvise.

I had to weld mine to the bumper bracket vs bolting them on because the bolt heads would interfere with the IC.

The support is the main reason I bought the roush kit.

Fluffy110

Established Member
Five.slow, thank you brother. Yeah I can fabricate it if I know what exactly I should be fabricating to fit...... if you could post some pics or send me a message and I'll shoot you my email or something, I would really appreciate it. I've heard of companies being proud of their products, but 300 bux for a couple bolts, unnecessary brackets, some plastic, and a black sticker is next level, lol...

Looking for all the help, guidance I can get....

Also, if anyone in the charlotte area has a recommendation on a shop or person to install new gearing, I'll take the recommendation...

Thanks again guys

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Ok keep in mind I am currently very limited with sheet metal tools and made this version of the delete after the blower went on a month or so ago. I was extremely drunk when I made it too... Usually when the m drunk my projects come out great like the flawless installation on my Paxton that had zero issue upon start up lol. Here are the shitty pics.

Cut the honey comb out of the factory grill and sand smooth them shoot on some bed liner.

0da7bcdbe1db449eb6eb4ad3872f6b49.jpg

The lower section is riveted on first to the bumper and to a bracket that is made between the intercooler and radiator. Then the sides are put in and riveted to the lower sheet metal and sone part of the factor bumper but I was too drunk so I don't remember lol. After that get a few super small headed stainless screws and use them to attach the modified grill surround.
4e3ebefa31cb5fd3abc2c5cf6abddd02.jpg
e765212310c501b60ec44adeca163328.jpg
b20a21cce02ecd27cd9689fe61cd2fc3.jpg

Just gotta get creative when doing this. I will be redoing it when I get back to Texas and have unlimited amount of tools and shit. The current grill is a 15 footer.

Users who are viewing this thread