DIY cluster replacement programming, anyone done that?

Poolman

Established Member
I need to replace a damaged instrument cluster in an 07 GT. Has anyone done this DIY with one of the programmers on the market? Looked at a Digiprog III and an OBDSTAR X300M. Trouble dealing with local dealership. and outrageous charges. Any suggestions?

stang910

Established Member
I did the same. I bought one of the fake VCMII's off alibi and I couldn't ever get the IDS programming to work. So I just used the device as a PASS-THRU and bought a 2 day license from the Ford service website. Worked great!

fishpick

Established Member
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Purchase/ViewProduct?productID=1177
Here you go. You won't have all the features of the ids, but you'll have all the access you need for programming.

You are seriously becoming my hero here... So this will be like a LEGIT IDS use through my un-legit VCM2 from China... When you say "You won't have all the features of the ids" - for a gauge replacement + update - I can use this to push AS BUILT to the cluster, 2013 program for the ABS module, do the PATS relearn and force the 2012 PCM to 2013, right?
The "You won't have all the features of the ids" - that's like track keys and stuff, right?

Poolman

Established Member
I did the same. I bought one of the fake VCMII's off alibi and I couldn't ever get the IDS programming to work. So I just used the device as a PASS-THRU and bought a 2 day license from the Ford service website. Worked great!

Stang910: that is one bad ass Clemson Orange Mustang! How about them Tigers! Serious nice car. Thanks for info.

stang910

Established Member
You are seriously becoming my hero here... So this will be like a LEGIT IDS use through my un-legit VCM2 from China... When you say "You won't have all the features of the ids" - for a gauge replacement + update - I can use this to push AS BUILT to the cluster, 2013 program for the ABS module, do the PATS relearn and force the 2012 PCM to 2013, right?
The "You won't have all the features of the ids" - that's like track keys and stuff, right?

Yes it will be legit. I did a 2014 PCM reprogram so I could add select shift to my car. While I was at it I also upgraded to the 2014 cluster and ABS module so I also had to do PATS. Took me a couple hours to learn my way around the IDS, but once I did it doesn't take long at all. Everything works great, even track apps. I think you could also program the track keys, but there's more to it.
Stang910: that is one bad ass Clemson Orange Mustang! How about them Tigers! Serious nice car. Thanks for info.

Thanks and glad I could help.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I've done some stuff the hard way with an EEPROM programmer, pulling files off chips, changing the vin, and reloading the file on the chip. Sounds like you found a better way.

Poolman

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, found a service to send the clusters to and they reprogram the replacement cluster for the car.
Only question, will the car start and drive without the cluster? Need to take to paint shop next week. Thanks

bigmoose

Established Member
This is great info. I never knew of this. I assume I can use it to program a second key to my terminator. Better investing in this then paying $100+ to have my dealer do it.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

fishpick

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, found a service to send the clusters to and they reprogram the replacement cluster for the car.
Only question, will the car start and drive without the cluster? Need to take to paint shop next week. Thanks
There's a difference between sending to the place in Syracuse to get the odometer set - and doing the PATS relearn... which is the passive anti theft system... and that's what needs the VCM / IDS to reteach your cars cluster that your keys are "ok" to start the car.
That has to be done IN the car - with the cluster attached - with your keys present.

jazz05

Established Member
Not to butt in, Thanks for the Link, saw it a couple years ago then could never find anything but the one year after that, have the chinese vcm, it never worked for me either, hopefully with one month subscription i can finally use it!!

bigmoose

Established Member
Not to butt in, Thanks for the Link, saw it a couple years ago then could never find anything but the one year after that, have the chinese vcm, it never worked for me either, hopefully with one month subscription i can finally use it!!
Please report back if you get your Chinese VCM working

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

jazz05

Established Member
Will do, probably be a month before i start programming, waiting for some parts from mmr

mrlrd1

Established Member
I've yet to have any success with the clone VCMs. The ones that do work are usually a 2-3 time deal before burning up the power supply pin. And not one has worked with motorcraftservice.com

fishpick

Established Member
Id love to provide an update but US Customs seems to have taken a liking to my VCM2 package... the lad at DHL told me it may be a month or more now before they release it...
Probably the dude recognized it and is updating his Mustang first!

Users who are viewing this thread