ditch the bed cover?

lightning2181

Established Member
im thinking about ditching my bed cover. its a leer 700 something or other. i had a work truck, but that took a shit so now i was wanting to actually use the bed for a few "clean" things. ive got a few questions though.
1. what is the market for my used cover? about how much do you think i could sell it for?
2. is there any dammage done to the truck from it being mounted? i see some things were screwed into the plastic bumper on the rail, unless i am mistaken.
3. what are some other options? i was thinking of maybe a velcro, or snap on cover that can be easily removed. but something that wont ruin the truck at all. also, what should i do to line the bed? plastic, or spray on? is spray on actually that heavy?

Canadian_Bacon

Armchair Athlete
Established Member
If you want a soft cover DO NOT get a snap type!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as the temps get cooler good luck trying to put it back on. Plus the snaps can rust very easily, again good luck putting it back on. I have nothing but problems with people when they buy the snap type.

Velcro isn't as bad but is still a c-unt to get on in the cool temps.

I would go soft folding if you want to take it on and off. It's got a couple C clamps holding it and it's easy to put on and off.

As for Spray in bed liner I don't know about the weight but it's the prcticality. If you need to take your bed off the truck you will not be able to with a spray in, or it will be a real bitch. I have and will always recomend a Bedliner, but that's just my oppinion.

lightning2181

Established Member
i was looking for one of those hard covers that roll up twoards the cab easily. now another question, what do you think my top would go for?

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
one of the best covers for the L is the stock soft cover. No snaps, no velcro, sits flush, rolls up very easily, etc. can't beat it in my eyes.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
^it was over the lip right?

no it sat flush with the bed rails. There are a ton of pictures on this site of guys who still have the stock cover. If you do a search i am sure you can find some pictures of stock tonneaus. The tonneau of was a plasticwedge type thing. The back bar detached with just two clips and would roll up with the tonneau and help keep it straight and neat.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2nd-generation-22/497128-tonneau-cover.html

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
one of the best covers for the L is the stock soft cover. No snaps, no velcro, sits flush, rolls up very easily, etc. can't beat it in my eyes.

I feel it's one of the best out there. I wish I could find one of that design for the SVTP F-350.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
contact FORDSVTPARTS here on the site. He can get you discount prices from Ford. The actually dealership is the only place to get the factory cover unless you can find one on ebay. Good luck with ebay because they are usuallly snatched up very quickly or torn up.

Smokinjoe

Established Member
I agree the factory cover can't be beat. I'm not a fan of hard covers. They're heavy and IMHO, tacky.

I decided to go with a bedrug for my truck. The spray-in liners are around $400, are permanant, and they add a lot of extra weight. Regular bedliners can get moisture undernieth and cause rust problems.

Plus the bedrug looks great, and can still haul whatever you need.

03auto

Established Member
I would like to see some pics of the factory covers. But cant seem to find any. If any one has any pics could you post them up.

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Factory cover FTW, mine is just starting to come apart on the corners unfortunately but its had its use over the years!

DSC04964.jpg

All3.jpg

LGSCHMIDTJR

Established Member
Factory cover FTW, mine is just starting to come apart on the corners unfortunately but its had its use over the years!

DSC04964.jpg

All3.jpg

Infamous
i am not sure if it will work for you, but i had a friend with the factory cover with the corners coming up and he ran a bunge cord through the loop under the cover and connected it to the hook in the bed and it worked out well.

Laurence

Users who are viewing this thread