Dissapointing dyno #'s: torque way off

Redwing

Established Member
I'm a little dissapointed. I had the car dynoed yesterday, and while the power was OK, the torque was very low. Before they fired up the dyno (A Dynojet?) the technicians told me that because the air was very humid, it would probably read 4-5 horespower low, so the power is not so bad, but I'm curious why my torque was so low.
Best run: 392 rwhp, 365 rwtq. A/F was 11.4 all the way across. Temperature 67 degrees F, and raining lightly. I will post the graphs later.

There are 4500 miles on the car, a Densecharger, and Borla stingers. No other performance mods. On a dryer day the techs said I'd be at 396-398 HP. This particular dyno did my 03 in May (388 HP, 384 TQ, same mods but 30,000 miles), and several other Cobras (intake and exhaust mods only: all around 400hp, 375tq).

the funny thing: this car feels stronger seat of the pants than my 03 when I goose it.
I'm not really concerned about the horsepower as it seems to be in line, but I am about the torque. Should I be?
Any opinions?
Steve

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
That is a little odd, but not too terrible. With similar mods (Magnaflow CB and drop-in K&N) I made 405/388. If I scale your TQ by the ratio of our HP measurements, that would take it to 365*(405/392) = 377, which is fairly close to my 388 number. Your 03 TQ number seems about right, yet the HP is on the low side. I suppose you could always have it redone. Too bad you didnt' get a baseline.

tigerwoods

Established Member
those numbers seem about right for the conditions you mentioned. with cai and catback mine did 399/374. it was also humid here when i dynoed it. if you ever pulley and chip it your car should be right where everybody else is. it is all in the tune.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your numbers are not really out of the ordinary IMO. Better than mine were!

My pure stock numbers were 363 rwhp and 338 rwtq. I wasn't thrilled! My modded numbers were 504 rwhp and 493 rwtq. I was thrilled! Amazing what a few motor mods and a good tune will do! :coolman:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread