Dislike the steeda tri-ax shifter

LCCOBRA

Established Member
I always seem to mis gears, grind gears, etc.. wit hit. Thinking about selling tri-ax for pro-5.0. What do you all think? I know I could do a search and get lots of info, but I grinded gears and was mad. :bash:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Is the handle in the correct position for you? A lot of people use the MGW handle with the Steeda Tri-Ax. You're not going to see that much difference with the Pro 5.0 from my understanding. Don't blame the shifter for missing shifts, blame yourself. Take your time when learning the new shifter, it's very different from stock. The position is different than the stock gear box, so you will have to change your throwing position habits just a little.

I am using the stock shifter with an MGW gripper shift knob, and that knob has made all the difference. All I am looking for is a shorter throw because I already sit pretty close to the shifter (I am short). I won't think about purchasing either shifter unless I've tried them both out on other people's 03 Cobras.

I've felt the pro 5.0 and tri-ax with the car off, and the shifts were very different from stock, like learning a new car altogether. I'll have to actually drive it in motion to give the shifter a chance.

The majority vote here is the stock shifter sucks and it's one of the first things you should swap out.

The Steeda Tri-Ax handle is also adjustable.

Mike

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
From people who have tried both they are nearly identicle in feel so if your botching shifts with one you likely will with them all. The key it to simply push/pull for inner gears (3-4) and let the shifter aling it. All shifts I miss are due to me trying to man handle and guide it instead of letting it guide itself.

NBMss346

Established Member
I got a Pro 5.0 over my stock shifter. It didn't make much of a difference, but it definately feels more solid. I just bought a Lou's Short Stick to stack on it, and now THAT makes the difference. Sometimes it's the handle, not the shifter itself.

2kbill

Established Member
Do you have the stock clutch quadrant? Most that do, say that the engagement point is just off the floorboard, which would make it more prone to missing shifts. When it's near the middle or higher, less pedaling is required. Makes sense to me.

Bill

mosconiac

Established Member
I missed several shifts with the stock shifter (mostly 2-3). I have yet to miss one with the Tri-Ax. :shrug:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by 2kbill
Do you have the stock clutch quadrant? Most that do, say that the engagement point is just off the floorboard, which would make it more prone to missing shifts. When it's near the middle or higher, less pedaling is required. Makes sense to me.

Bill
I agree, I have ground a few gears myself, mainly due to not having clutch pedel firmly to floor when trying to shift fast.

Quick03SVT

Established Member
I just installed the Pro 5.0 yesterday and WOW what a difference. I got on it a few times and 3rd was a breeze. Feels so much more solid as well. A little more noise than normal but to me the more noise the better. I even love drone!

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
Stupid question but I haven't seen it asked.

Can I keep my stock boot and shift knob with teh Tri-Ax?

Dan

LCCOBRA

Established Member
thanks for the info

Forgot to say I been useing the shifter for 2 months. Though i'm still not shure what i'll do, poisons has the pro 5.0 set up and should have tried his out when we met up. Also did'nt ground any gears or miss with factory. Even though I agree it's a pos. I know the stop bolts and shifter handle are in the correct position and everything. Sometimes it's a great shifter and somtimes I want to go back to the factory set up. If I was to get the pro 5.0 shifter were is the best place to buy? And also I been hearing things about the mgw shifter handle.

Last edited:

StangGt00

Supporting the GWOT, USN!
Established Member
I've heard of people bending the Tri-ax so I just went with the Kirban. Not too short, but short enough considering how far forward the shifter is already.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by LCCOBRA
I always seem to mis gears, grind gears, etc.. wit hit. Thinking about selling tri-ax for pro-5.0. What do you all think? I know I could do a search and get lots of info, but I grinded gears and was mad. :bash:
We're on opposite sides here.
I have the Pro 5.0 and want the Tri-ax. The Pro 5.0 is ok, but I really like the Tri-ax in my 99 and I've been kicking myself for not going that route. I currently have a Tri-ax handle on the Pro 5.0. The one that comes with it is way too short. Tried the MGW handle but it kept working loose.
I still haven't found what I'm looking for. :p

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Re: Re: Dislike the steeda tri-ax shifter

You've sold me on the Pro 5.0 ... I want way too short :)

Originally posted by racerat
We're on opposite sides here.
I have the Pro 5.0 and want the Tri-ax. The Pro 5.0 is ok, but I really like the Tri-ax in my 99 and I've been kicking myself for not going that route. I currently have a Tri-ax handle on the Pro 5.0. The one that comes with it is way too short. Tried the MGW handle but it kept working loose.
I still haven't found what I'm looking for. :p

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Did you double check your installation? Some have actually intalled it backwards (reversed 180 degrees).

Not saying thats your problem, but might be worth a look.

I also recall some people got bad / wrong shifters.

Did you match up old to new exactly before the install? I did quite a but of measuring to insure it was the correct unit and that it went in right.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
It isn't your shifter it is your foot. You need to train your foot to push the clutch in faster. Since your shifter is speeding up the shift your foot must move faster to disengage the clutch. That is why you are grinding gears. Go for a drive right now concentrating on getting that clutch in fast, and not letting it out until you hear that click of the shifter in gear and you will not grind a gear.

Kyle

venomousSonic03

Established Member
I had the stock shifter for about 3 months and I missed a few shifts. Now with my steeda its almost automatic. I just throw it up (3rd) and it hits the gear almost by itself. But when i do try to force it and I am not racing...it tends to not want to go. But overall, very very pleased. Buddy of mine has a B & M and it also feels very good. Short throw is short throw to me.
Andrew

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
I have only missed once with the Tri-Ax. It was at the track racing a Z06 & i should of won :bash:

Besides that problem the Tri-Ax has been good to me. Then i tried Andorians shifter ( Tri-Ax with MGW Handle ) Damn :eek: :D

I should have the handle by tomorrow or wednesday the latest ;-)

UPR & Tri-Ax is pretty much the same design but also the 5.0 should be the same as well IMO.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've missed a 2-3 shift a couple of times with the Tri-Ax, but as mentioned above that is more driver caused. You have to let the shifter pick its position. Don't force it the gear. Not that doing that is going to be a major issue, but it will result in an occasional missed shift. Going to another shifter won't help that much, if at all in my opinion. By the way, I really like my Tri-Ax. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread