Disgruntled after ford service visit

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Having been in both a dealer and an independent, I can say without question that this is an incredibly ignorant statement. Dealer techs have better training, shop tools, reference material, and that's it. However many don't know what do with it.

Most of the good dealer techs eventually leave for independent shops.

I agree with this. My dad worked at dealers for years back in the 80's and early 90's. The school he teaches automotive tech at now came to the last dealer he worked at and offered him the position. He has his own shop as well and doesn't charge nearly what the dealer would charge. I just had a coworker bring her car to him after the dealer wanted over 1K to change the lower intake gasket on her Altima. My dad said he charged her half of that. I know he does just as good or a better job than the dealer would have, hell he places some of his students at dealers around here lol.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your argument was that you are paying more at a Ford dealer for service because the techs are inherently better. Now you are admitting that the good techs leave Ford to work elsewhere. Which is it?

The truth is that Ford service departments charge more because they can. They charge even more in highly populated urban areas because they can. If a small independent shop in BFE tried to charge by "book" hours they would not last.

It is a huge source of revenue for dealers and the raping will not end as long as people keep paying for it.

Again, after reading your sole feedback rating, I take what you say as a grain of salt.

My argument is that Ford technicians obtain certifications constantly in order to stay on top of new technology and the service on that technology. Independent stores aren't like that.

An example of a specialty store would be a performance shop. Yes, I would rather have them do performance upgrades to my car than a regular technician. However, I would rather have a a Ford technician perform service on my car that is routine to them.

Yes, the service department is a source of income for dealers, the main source. With the new and used vehicle market basically teetering on the black/red line, they have to make money.

blackbolt2003

Established Member
Anyone can leave feedback for anyone at any time without evidence or merit. The guy misrepresented the part he was selling. It was from a different MY than he stated and did not match the same part on the opposite side of my vehicle. I cancelled the Paypal payment after I didn't hear back from him.(He took offense to this and left the feedback) That's it, I'm not one of these guys who sold a product, didn't deliver, and ignored correspondence for months. The feedback he left says nothing about what happened. Don't you think that is a little fishy?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Anyone can leave feedback for anyone at any time without evidence or merit. The guy misrepresented the part he was selling. It was from a different MY than he stated and did not match the same part on the opposite side of my vehicle. I cancelled the Paypal payment after I didn't hear back from him.(He took offense to this and left the feedback) That's it, I'm not one of these guys who sold a product, didn't deliver, and ignored correspondence for months. The feedback he left says nothing about what happened. Don't you think that is a little fishy?

If that's the case, you should have the mods investigate, then remove it.

blackbolt2003

Established Member
It was 6 years ago. I don't think it would be worth the effort at this point and I don't buy/sell anything on this site. Members are constantly scamming each other.

mrlrd1

Established Member
The truth is that Ford service departments charge more because they can. They charge even more in highly populated urban areas because they can. If a small independent shop in BFE tried to charge by "book" hours they would not last.

Yet ANOTHER incredibly ignorant statement. They charge the high rates because they HAVE to. Dealers (not Ford exclusive) have to pay for their OEM mandated overhead. Whereas the independent can source alternative equipment or methods, the OEM requires the dealer to have the latest and greatest, and that comes with considerable cost.

As far a book labor times: who do you think creates those times? It's not Mitchell, ALLDATA, or Motor, it's the OEMs. Any dealer or independent that goes above book time without just cause (rust, aftermarket equipment, etc) is being dishonest IN MY OPINION. However, it's their right to do so and you always maintain the right to decline the work.

blackbolt2003

Established Member
It's their right to try to screw someone by going above book time? I don't see how this is different than telling someone they need their blinker fluid filled. Either way they are charging for time/services that were not performed.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's their right to try to screw someone by going above book time? I don't see how this is different than telling someone they need their blinker fluid filled. Either way they are charging for time/services that were not performed.
Anyways.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Alldata, etc are labor time GUIDES. There is no set time and any shop is free to charge what they want. Same as parts can charge what they see fit for parts. Not to mention the labor guides never match. You can go from alldata to Mitchell and have a labor time difference.

mrlrd1

Established Member

I bolded part of the last sentence of my reply for people like you. I STRONGLY suggest you go back and read it again, and let it sink in. Remember where I said additional time is often added for extraneous issues like rust? Your Ranger is a rusted pile.

blackbolt2003

Established Member
In my opinion, extra time should be added to the bill if the rust actually causes the job to take longer or more parts to be used. Otherwise, the customer is being charged for something that was not performed.

I understand that you feel the dealer has the right to charge/estimate whatever they wish for a job. I agree, however, my question is: What is the ethically/morally correct thing to do?

Some amount of logical thinking should to go into this at some point. Who's first reaction to, "$575 to replace a brake line", is "Yeah, seems about right"? The answer is the people who have been part of the system for years and can't see past it. Anyone outside the system with an ounce of car knowledge would say "WTF!".

mrlrd1

Established Member
In my opinion, extra time should be added to the bill if the rust actually causes the job to take longer or more parts to be used. Otherwise, the customer is being charged for something that was not performed.

That was, as you admitted, the case on your truck. The line broke due to rust and the bleeders were seized. Can you not see this? Why continue to argue?

I understand that you feel the dealer has the right to charge/estimate whatever they wish for a job. I agree, however, my question is: What is the ethically/morally correct thing to do?

The morally correct thing to do is charge adequately for the job, and that does not necessarily mean book time. From what you've already stated and my extensive experience with these trucks, the repairs and cost seem justified.

Some amount of logical thinking should to go into this at some point. Who's first reaction to, "$575 to replace a brake line", is "Yeah, seems about right"? The answer is the people who have been part of the system for years and can't see past it. Anyone outside the system with an ounce of car knowledge would say "WTF!".

They agree it sounds right because they understand what you and many others do not.

Users who are viewing this thread