Discussion of the future of gasoline cars and their values

lilcoop03

Established Member
I’d like to get everyone’s take on the future of gas powered cars and even gas itself. There is a lot of doom and gloom rhetoric out there about the two and I’d like to get more info before I draw my own conclusion. My main questions are:

1. Will gasoline remain available for the next 30+ years? If it is, will it be extremely expensive?
2. Will the values of gasoline powered cars crater or appreciate drastically? (I am Specifically high performance cars like they are producing now but am also curious about standard commuter cars)

I guess these two questions are codependent on the outcomes of each other.
I hope the market corrects and I have an opportunity to buy some cool cars for much cheaper than they are today in the next few years at least. But then, will I even be able to drive them at will in the future?

Please discuss/speculate. Any articles based in fact are welcome also.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
We’ve been running out of gas since the early 70’s. In 30 years I’ll probably be dead. If we ever run out of gas I be would think an ice vehicle would be worthless

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

lilcoop03

Established Member
We’ve been running out of gas since the early 70’s. In 30 years I’ll probably be dead. If we ever run out of gas I be would think an ice vehicle would be worthless

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I’m not worried about running out of gas, I’m worried about it being banned/regulated to death!

blk02edge

Established Member
It has zero to do with how much oil we have rather the governments outlawing it and further pushing EV. Which will happen regardless of what anyone believes. Obviously I don't know the timeline of this but it will crush the value of all ICE cars to nothingness minus a very select few museum worthy pieces

You think this is insane, look what the world did over Covid.. they DGAF what makes sense

Last edited:

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
When they ban ICE cars in 2035, there will still be ICE cars on the road for another 15 years. It will get to the point where only the rich will be able to run an ICE car. The poor and lower middle class will be stuck with public transportation since there won't be a used car market for EVs. Who is going to buy a used EV and then have to shell out $25k later to replace the battery? I'll be dead so it's not my problem.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
When they ban ICE cars in 2035, there will still be ICE cars on the road for another 15 years. It will get to the point where only the rich will be able to run an ICE car. The poor and lower middle class will be stuck with public transportation since there won't be a used car market for EVs. Who is going to buy a used EV and then have to shell out $25k later to replace the battery? I'll be dead so it's not my problem.

You'll be dead in 2035 or 2050? Do you have kids? If so don't you want them to live in a world where they can pursue the same hobby you have?

I'll be 66 in 2050 and I'll still have interest in ICE vehicles. My kid will be a few years younger in 2050 than I am now and all signs so far point to him being an enthusiast.

I know your comment was flippant but at the very least I hope we can all support the aftermarket industry, voice our support for ICE vehicles and vote for politicians who will not pursue an outright ban on ICE vehicles.

Last edited:

lilcoop03

Established Member
Yes and yes. The EV mandates will crash into the wall of reality.
In a way I hope you are right, but can you imagine the repercussions for these automakers and the economy if all of these investments into the EV sector are for nothing? I live in upstate SC where a huge BMW plant has been operating with great success for years. They just announced they are building a mulit-BILLION dollar battery plant for EV's here as well.. And that's just local to me.. When I am on the way to Road Atlanta, I pass by a HUGE new battery factory ($$$$) on I85 near Commerce where ironically, an iconic NHRA drag strip was shut down (Atlanta dragway) a year ago..
Meanwhile, new road courses are popping up in the southeast, which makes me happy. OIR in Missouri and Flat Rock in Tennessee are in their infancy. As long as I can drive my ICE cars on tracks, I will likely be happy but would like to keep them on the roads as well.

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
In a way I hope you are right, but can you imagine the repercussions for these automakers and the economy if all of these investments into the EV sector are for nothing? I live in upstate SC where a huge BMW plant has been operating with great success for years. They just announced they are building a mulit-BILLION dollar battery plant for EV's here as well.. And that's just local to me.. When I am on the way to Road Atlanta, I pass by a HUGE new battery factory ($$$$) on I85 near Commerce where ironically, an iconic NHRA drag strip was shut down (Atlanta dragway) a year ago..
Meanwhile, new road courses are popping up in the southeast, which makes me happy. OIR in Missouri and Flat Rock in Tennessee are in their infancy. As long as I can drive my ICE cars on tracks, I will be likely be happy but would like to keep them on the roads as well.

It will be brutal for everyone but the Cult of Green, they love that fewer cars will be produced. The D party may not be so happy when the soccer moms obliterate them at the polls.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The death of ICE/gas engines will be from regulation and not from lack of potential supply. EU will lead the charge and eventually CARB/Dem policies will make it that car companies will only make EV cars or be fined to death over MPG regulations.

But, heavy duty vehicles will be ICE for much longer. Elon can talk about EV semi's but the loads they carry/OTR trucks will be diesel for a long time

Adower

Established Member
I saw an article that stated the average cost of a new EV is ~50K. Cost alone puts them out of range for a good amount of people.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I don't foresee ICE or gas going away anytime soon. The left will regulate it and push EV's as much as possible and once the right get in/takes control, they'll deregulate it all and it'll be a continuous cycle as everything is.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I’d like to get everyone’s take on the future of gas powered cars and even gas itself. There is a lot of doom and gloom rhetoric out there about the two and I’d like to get more info before I draw my own conclusion. My main questions are:

1. Will gasoline remain available for the next 30+ years? If it is, will it be extremely expensive?
2. Will the values of gasoline powered cars crater or appreciate drastically? (I am Specifically high performance cars like they are producing now but am also curious about standard commuter cars)

I guess these two questions are codependent on the outcomes of each other.
I hope the market corrects and I have an opportunity to buy some cool cars for much cheaper than they are today in the next few years at least. But then, will I even be able to drive them at will in the future?

Please discuss/speculate. Any articles based in fact are welcome also.
I believe that Gasoline/Diesel will remain relatively cheap and available for the next century.

Established Member
Buy an E85 carb.
I get what you are saying, but we already grind 1/3 of our corn crop to get to E 10 needs. Our corn carry over would almost never let us get to E 15, yet alone E 85. I love the octane uses E 85 provides, but Greenies just don't understand how a calculator works, and reality has to smack them in the face and then they still never recognize they were wrong. Look at how many people by now know they were wrong about the Jab, but I still can't find one who will admit it.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The EV lie will come to an end before the next 10 years is up. If anything, the future might be in Hydrogen powered IC engines.
This is the first time in the Automotive Industry history that cars are being built/mandated without input from the public that buys them. If the auto manufacturers followed what the public wants, the EV would be a limited production small market niche car. NOBODY outside of some brain dead Politicians want EV's as the "go to" automobile.
This is financial/business suicide.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
The EV lie will come to an end before the next 10 years is up. If anything, the future might be in Hydrogen powered IC engines.
This is the first time in the Automotive Industry history that cars are being built/mandated without input from the public that buys them. If the auto manufacturers followed what the public wants, the EV would be a limited production small market niche car. NOBODY outside of some brain dead Politicians want EV's as the "go to" automobile.
This is financial/business suicide.
Agreed.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I get what you are saying, but we already grind 1/3 of our corn crop to get to E 10 needs. Our corn carry over would almost never let us get to E 15, yet alone E 85. I love the octane uses E 85 provides, but Greenies just don't understand how a calculator works, and reality has to smack them in the face and then they still never recognize they were wrong. Look at how many people by now know they were wrong about the Jab, but I still can't find one who will admit it.

I'll just brew my own from ramps and pawpaws.

Users who are viewing this thread