Dirty sock smell comming from A/C...?

blkstang302

Established Member
Kind of concerned.. smells like a sweaty sock you just took off after mowing the lawn. If you know what that smells like lol. Its not an overwhelming smell but it made me turn the A/C off and roll down the windows. When I came up to a red light I could still kind of smell it even with the A/C off. Car drives the same as far as I can tell. I popped the hood and looked underneath did not see any oil or smoke. It was dark I did not see any smoke coming from anywhere else. :shrug:

Mods in sig

Any thoughts?

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Might be condensation from the evaporator with the ac on. Can't see where you are from on tapatalk but if its humid you could get a funky smell from condensation

Last edited:

keoni1984

Established Member
Probably need to replace the cabin air filter. My old Tacoma pickup used to have that problem. It went away when I replaced the filter.

ultrajetboat

Established Member
Check and make sure your evap is draining, if it gets clogged the water will stay in there and form mold. On the boats we check the drains and poor some bleach/water mix through it to kill any mold.

v8stang

Established Member
Ive also had funky smells coming from the a/c on my '13. At times it smelled like wet paint, other times wet dirt.. all randomly.
I changed the cabin filter a few hundred miles ago, but it has done it a couple more times.
I'm at 11,1xx right now.

Good luck! Post up if you find a cure.

dead man walkin

Established Member
First step replace your cabin filter. Next and this is the ford approved repair. Go inside the car and turn the fan on high. Next go to your cowl and see those vents at the base of the windshield and rear of your hood? Take a can of Lysol (we used the orange scent. You don't have to) and spray it in there. This will kill all the mold and mildew. Spray for 20 to 30 seconds. Check the vent smell . Repeat if needed.

v8stang

Established Member
^^^ thanks, gonna try that. Mine has been increasingly smelling like a damp cloth.

OP, have you gotten it taken care of yet?

JerryC

Established Member
Put the windows down and run the heat and A/C together to cook the funk out of the system. I do that every spring to get sock smell out of the AC.

Users who are viewing this thread