Difficulty pushing front brake caliper piston back

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Guys,
Was trying to do my front brakes today and everything was going smoothly until I couldn't get the front brake caliper piston to push back in far enough for my new pads. I uncapped the master cylinder too.
Maybe the new pads are just too big :shrug:
I tried and tried using the tool shown in the How-to write up.
The problem I was having is it seemed I could only push the brake caliper piston upper half, and not the bottom as the tool would not seat properly in the caliper. Not sure if this makes sense.
I should go buy a c-clamp as I feel this tool was a big part of the problem...
Any tips, I got frustrated and just shut it down. I was able to install all four speed bleeders and transfuse a few units of new brake fluid.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/436874-front-brakes.html

Last edited:

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
C-clamps should do the trick. Sometimes pistons just get stuck like that, its a pain in the ass. I have seen piston's get stuck so bad the caliper had to be replaced, don't think this is your problem since you said that you did push it in some already.

good luck!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
A ''c'' clamp and one of the old pads should do it Joe. Compress them both at the same time, and then just do them one at a time to make sure they`re in all the way. I actually a big pair of channel locks that I use. G/L

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
If you're 'cocking' the piston pushing it back in, it will jam. Get a large channel locks and put the old pad against the pistons and squeeze them back in. The old pad will help keep the pistons flat and prevent them from cocking. A c-clamp will work also.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Great info guys...will try again here in a week or two, but to clarify.
Did yall push the end of the c-clamp rod through the empty caliper hole beneath the cobra letering, since the outer pad is removed, or did you just push it back a different way?
I hope this makes sense. If not, I will use some big channel locks perhaps with the old pad flipped around...

All along, I was planning on doing the back pads, but they were almost new, lol. I studied for an hour watching ac427cobra's video, but it was the fronts that needed the work!

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
The problem I was having is it seemed I could only push the brake caliper piston upper half, and not the bottom as the tool would not seat properly in the caliper. Not sure if this makes sense

Yep the Cube needs to be modified to fit in the upper and lower grooves on the caliper properly. Take a grinder and cut the inner part of one of the pegs off, leaving half the peg there.

I seem to remember getting a c clamp on mine too because the cube was too much of a pain to use.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Thanks guys for all the input, I used a BF ViceGrip to push that piston back...just bedded those pads and they stop well and are most of all quiet, unlike the wornout stockers.
Now I gotta paint these calipers one day.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Dangit, just went on another drive and it seems I have a squeal hit or miss...
How do you lube these front brake pads?
as the only part that touches metal on metal is where the pin is, and the circle prong backing of the pads...

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Dangit, just went on another drive and it seems I have a squeal hit or miss...
How do you lube these front brake pads?
as the only part that touches metal on metal is where the pin is, and the circle prong backing of the pads...
I use NAPA brand High Temp Silicone lube (Siliglide IIRC). Use some on the pins up top and just a small dab where the bottom edge of the pad backing slides on the caliper. You may want to clean that area first. And be sure to just get it wet with lube, not too much.

Users who are viewing this thread