Differential

11ride4life

Hatorade
Established Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is for my Dads GT500 not a 03/04 cobra but I figures you guys have been dealing with high horse power street cars longer than the people in the GT500 forum.

We drag race the car and also open track it, the current setup is putting down 696RWHP & 740RWTQ (on the juice) and it started to do the dreaded one wheel peal at the drag strip on Saturday. When at the strip we are running 28X10 Hoosier slicks so we need a diff that will take a lot of abuse, but it cant be a spool or locker because of the road course racing we put the car through. I am thinking either 31 or 33 spline axles but I just don't know enough about rear ends, what do you think?

Thanks for the help

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
PM 427Cobra he's all over in the GT500 forums! He should know what to do with that rear end.

racebronco2

Established Member
I am not sure if the true-trac would last under the abuse of almost 700hp and slicks. I have a tr2 for open tracking but they are not recommended for drag racing. I have had et streets on my car on several occasions and the tr2 has not broken yet. A detroit locker would be great for the drags but takes a little getting used to open tracking. I had one for about 4 years in a truck i used to open track. A few pre-cautions is never up-shift or downshift in a turn unless you rev match the speed of the car with the rpms of the engine and never let off the gas and then hard on the gas mid corner. The shelby gt350's came with detriot lockers.

racebronco2

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
you shouldnt be upshifting or downshifting in a turn anyway. you should be back at neutral throttle before corner turn-in.

Your right but with the gearing and a turbo i had to downshift to try and keep boost up. I never had to upshift just added that to give them more feedback on the detroit locker.y

Users who are viewing this thread