Differential Suggestions

03venomdsg

Established Member
Hey all, my rear end is on its way out and I am preparing to have it rebuilt. I have been looking for suggestions on the best replacement and have seen mixed reviews. Car is currently 600whp with plans to increase in the future. Car does see some hard street driving, has not been to the track yet but would maybe 1-2x per year and I do enjoy windy roads. Currently torn between truetrac and wavetrac. Any suggestions or personal experience appreciated. It is an IRS car.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Hey all, my rear end is on its way out and I am preparing to have it rebuilt. I have been looking for suggestions on the best replacement and have seen mixed reviews. Car is currently 600whp with plans to increase in the future. Car does see some hard street driving, has not been to the track yet but would maybe 1-2x per year and I do enjoy windy roads. Currently torn between truetrac and wavetrac. Any suggestions or personal experience appreciated. It is an IRS car.

i have both in my street/strip cars. both are great. in one of my posts on here i go into the pros/cons of each. but you cant go wrong either way.

Albatross

Established Member
I’m running a TrueTrac with 3.73 at 700whp. I haven’t launched the car hard yet but it’s taken a pretty good beating so far. You really don’t notice it’s there until it’s doing it’s thing. I highly recommend the TrueTrac.

I was deciding between the TrueTrac and the Wavetrac also. In my research I found that a lot of people were commenting about the wavetrac durability when drag racing and launching. Seems it doesn’t like hard launches. Most forums I read said the TrueTrac was stronger. I think the wavetrac is quieter tho. Also twice the price when I was shopping.

03venomdsg

Established Member
I’m running a TrueTrac with 3.73 at 700whp. I haven’t launched the car hard yet but it’s taken a pretty good beating so far. You really don’t notice it’s there until it’s doing it’s thing. I highly recommend the TrueTrac.

I was deciding between the TrueTrac and the Wavetrac also. In my research I found that a lot of people were commenting about the wavetrac durability when drag racing and launching. Seems it doesn’t like hard launches. Most forums I read said the TrueTrac was stronger. I think the wavetrac is quieter tho. Also twice the price when I was shopping.
Yeah the more I read I'm definitely leaning more for the truetrac. At this point with mostly solid/poly mounts the noise isn't the biggest concern to me.

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Stock is typically more than adequate for your application, keep that in mind before you spend a lot of extra money.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member

not stronger. wavetrac uses 9310 grade steel vs. the trutrac, along with arp fasteners throughout. it also offers a lifetime warranty vs. one year.

you won't break either one - no matter what your hp level - but wavetrac is the stronger and higher quality piece, as the price illustrates.

another nice thing about autotech (wavetrac's manufacturing company) is that they will take it back in and adjust/customize the bias to your needs. they already did that for me once when i switched ratios.

as i said though, both are great.

olympic

Established Member
I went with the Trutrac, no regrets. It does what it's suppose to, quietly and no drama.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
TrueTrac w/3:55s with DSS axles for over 5 years, I have launched it several times on MT/ET streets 2-3k has held up great.

Saint

Established Member
What oil have you all been using in your differentials? I have a TrueTrac I'm getting ready to install and wanted to see what oil I could go with.

Albatross

Established Member
What oil have you all been using in your differentials?

I use Lucas 80w-90. Do not use friction modifier. The modifier will effect the torque bias ratio. The gear type diffs actually use friction to work. If you put modifier in it will reduce how well it works. Hope that makes sense.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I use Lucas 80w-90. Do not use friction modifier. The modifier will effect the torque bias ratio. The gear type diffs actually use friction to work. If you put modifier in it will reduce how well it works. Hope that makes sense.
What he said, use petroleum mineral based GL5 oil, no synthetics or friction mod.

03venomdsg

Established Member
Just wanted to give a little update ended up going with the wavetrac and 3.55s. Also went with MM solid rear diff mount and aluminum front bushings. Currently doing a 500mi break in so I will report back when I can give it hell. For now I can say I don't notice any extra vibration with the solid mounts, if anything I feel it is a little more smooth because of the improved drive line angle. Also to note I do have solid motor mounts and the stifflers poly trans mount.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
What oil have you all been using in your differentials? I have a TrueTrac I'm getting ready to install and wanted to see what oil I could go with.
1682512479729.png

Users who are viewing this thread