Differential Oil Cooler Install with Pics

mustangsally50

She Bites
Established Member
The differential cooler was a little harder to accomplish than I expected, but I was probably a little under prepared too. Here’s a list of some of the items I used.

Mocal Oil Pump ($175, Racer Parts Wholesale)
Econo-Cool 8” x 11” heat exchanger ($70, RPW)
~11’ of -8 SS braided line ($55, Summit)
(4) ½”NPT to AN-8 , 90° (local)
(1) 3/8”NPT to AN-8 , 90° (local)
(1) 3/8”NPT to AN-8, straight (local)
(8) AN-8 hose ends (local, total all fittings about $120)
4ft. of ¾” square, .060” wall 6061 tube, ($10, Tractor supply)

Misc:
45/64 drill bit (McMaster)
½”NPT tap (McMaster)
4 qts Royal Purple 75W140
Tube of Motorcraft silicone RTV (too expensive)

Since the car is used for street and track, I didn’t want an overly obtrusive system that would create problems on the street. So I used the square tube and created a ¼” X 6” slot in one side. I put ¼” carriage bolts through the slot and into the body of the car. Now I could slide the exchanger up and down about 4”. It worked really well and seems like it’s plenty strong and stiff. I mounted the cooler to the tubing using rubber grommets between them for some vibration isolation. The pump is mounted to the body using the supplied rubber grommets. But be warned, it still vibrates the entire car. I just wired it to a 12V switch in the trunk.

Here are some tips that I learned along the way:
1. Absolutely need access to a drill press. Drill a pilot hole first.
2. Tapping takes A LOT more force than you think. I had a hard time anchoring the diff. while tapping. The suction line was tapped while the diff was in the car. The tap I used had a large taper to it, so make sure you go deep enough into the hole. Use plenty of tapping fluid
3. Be wary of NPTF and NPT threads. NPTF stands for ‘fuel’ and does not use any Teflon tape on the threads. The threads are interfering and use the galling action to seal without the tape.
4. The SS braided lines are a lot more difficult to work with than I expected. I also had a mix of hose ends from 2 different companies. I liked the XRP brand verses the fittings labeled under the local retailer. I found some helpful tips on one of the Shelby cobra kit-car forums.

I think the pictures explain the rest of the story. Enjoy

Special thanks to Kiet, the British Guy, Greg and Jerry at NASA and all the SVT forum guys who helped out.

haskett

Established Member
Outstanding! Great write-up. I like the ability to slide up and down. I've bookmarked this for when I do something similar later this year. Let us know how it performs. The cooler is smaller than what I've seen the Cobra R guys running, what made you decide on that size?

racebronco2

Established Member
i haven't put one on my car yet cause i didn't like the way they
were mounted and didn't get much air circlulation ... i like your idea of making it adjustable :beer:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Nice write up and good pics. The adjustability of the cooler is a great idea.
I wonder if it's better to have the cooler hung low for air flow or to keep it up and run with an electric fan.
Do you have a diff temp guage?

This will help me with my future install. My diff is fried now from 2 track events.

///m3

Established Member
To clarify: I'm the guy that did this diff cooler for my fiance and posted the write up under her name. Wasn't that a great Christmas present to her? :-D

Thanks for the compliments!!

That size radiator is actually not too much smaller than the Cobra R guys. The cooling width of the Econo-cool is all 11", where as the Earl's Temp-A-Cure is 15 1/4" wide, the cooling area is still only 11". Plus the Econo cool supposedly has the oil turbulators to increase the effectiveness of the cooler. But mainly becuase it was half the price. And I figured something is better than nothing. Don't forget, only about half of it hangs down below the bumper. The top half is still radiating some heat.

I haven't installed a temperature gauge yet. I'm very curious to see what the difference will be at Sebring this summer. I figured airflow would be much better than fans because of all the time that you spend at speeds more than 30mph or so. I feel the fans would block more flow than to help cool during the slow speeds.

mustangsally50

She Bites
Established Member
///m3 said:
To clarify: I'm the guy that did this diff cooler for my fiance and posted the write up under her name. Wasn't that a great Christmas present to her? :-D

Such a nice guy!! And just what I wanted for Christmas too! :rolling:

coolcobra

Established Member
I have a very similar set up, but I used my innercooler heat exchanger from the front of the car---I had installed a higher performinng heat exchanger, and had the stock exchanger setting in the garage.

It sets about two inches higher than yours when it is down. I have been to 5 road racing events, mostly during the summer months. The maximum temperature that I have seen is under 180f.

I am using the same pump, very very noisy. It vibrates the whole car. I installed a pipe to AN-8 right angle fitting under the pumpkin, to draw the rear end fluid from. I return the cooled fluid to the fill plug on the side of the differential. It is hard to determine the correct level of fluid with this configuration however. How do you return the flluid to the rear end?

///m3

Established Member
We were going to use the stock heat exchanger also, but then I decided it fit too well behind the grill of the M3 and am going to use it for the aftercooler when I install the Vortech on that car. :burnout:

I removed the entire differential from the car and was able to drill and tap the return line on top of the diff, using the same fitting that I used on the bottom. The third picture is actually the top return line fitting.

///m3

Established Member
I finally installed a temperature gauge. I mounted the sender in place of the oil fill plug and it seems to work pretty well.

The cooler works great!! It lowers the temp. from about 210 degrees down to about 150 and that's without lowering the heat exchanger for more airflow. That's highway driving at 75mph at about 75 degrees ambient.

Now if I could only figure out if 210 degrees is too hot for highway driving...

haskett

Established Member
Kevin the Clean 1 said:
Hey mustangsally50, is there any way you could rehost the picts... :shrug: I am very curious to see what your setup looks like! ;-)
The pic's are still there in the first post. :shrug:

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
No pictures... the link to pictiger works but there are no pictures. What am I doing wrong? :??: I'd like to see the installation. :shrug:

JymBart

Established Member
10thAnnvCobra said:
No pictures... the link to pictiger works but there are no pictures. What am I doing wrong? :??: I'd like to see the installation. :shrug:

Same deal, .. no photos.

JymBart

spdfrkFL

Track Addict
Established Member
Here's a pic of my set-up.
106-0623_IMG.gif

106-0622_IMG.gif

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member