Differential Cover

tbone7467

Established Member
I have a small leak in my 1997 Cobra rear end. I could fix it with just a new seal but figured now is the time to do some upgrades while I'm there. lets start off easy...

what is the difference in the:

M-4033-G2 - Ford Performance Differential Cover

and

M-4033-KA - Ford Performance Finned Differential Cover

does it matter? I did read that they both extract heat from the differential. should I be looking at one over the other? while I'm in there, what other things should I look at replacing or upgrading?

Last edited:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
The first one you have listed is the better unit. It's a girdle that puts support on the differential caps.
And don't bother with those cheap seals, scrape it, blow it off with brake cleaner and use black rtv to seal it.
If you buy the Ford racing one, the cap supports have a torque spec, I forget what it is.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Isn't the finned one more shallow and is designed for the S197+? (Yes it also fits 79-98)

tbone7467

Established Member
I think I'm going to go with this: M-4033-G2 - Ford Performance Differential Cover. I wonder how much I should get into rebuilding the rear-end while I'm doing stuff there.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I think I'm going to go with this: M-4033-G2 - Ford Performance Differential Cover. I wonder how much I should get into rebuilding the rear-end while I'm doing stuff there.

Unless you have an issue or a ton of miles I doubt you'll need to touch anything in there.

tbone7467

Established Member
Just did my Rear end today, rear axels were bad and had to be replaced. I replaced quite a few parts. I'm very happy with my choice of parts today. We will see how it goes after I'm thru the break in period.

Here is what I had installed:

Ford Performance Ring And Pinion Install Kit M-4210-C
Ford Performance Traction - LOK Rebuild Kit w/ Carbon Discs - 8.8 in. M-4700-C
Ford Performance Differential Cover - 8.8 in. M-4033-G2
Ford Performance Rear Pinion Flange 8.8 in. M-4851-C
Ford Performance Ring Gear and Pinion Kit - 3.55 Gears M-4209-G355A

I went safe on the gear upgrade but I feel that should be ok

The one thing I don't know how to do or what to buy is the speed calibration for the new gear.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
The SCT Tuner for adjusting the speedo calibration does not function as intended for SN95s. That only works on 99+ cars if I'm not mistaken IIRC. You'll need the mechanical gear, speedcal or ford speedometer calibration unit.

tbone7467

Established Member
Which is the best solution. That is all I’m concerned with. Quality parts quality install

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Which is the best solution. That is all I’m concerned with. Quality parts quality install

Get a Speedcal or Ford Speedometer Recalibration Unit. No matter which gears you choose to swap to later on, with some simple adjustments you can correct the speedometer versus having to continually swap mechanical speedo gears.

Last edited:

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Speedcal hands down and you can correct for tire size changes also

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

tbone7467

Established Member
Speedcal or Ford Speedometer Recalibration Unit are they the same thing or is one better then the other

ZeroDCX

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread