Different Catalytic Converters

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
My car has an MAC X-Pipe with cats, that a friend sold me a year ago.

Yesterday I was driving when suddenly I saw a rock in the middle of the street. I couldn't avoid it because I had other cars around me. The rock hit the left side catalytic converter. It totally ruined the cat. It looked like a smashed beer can. All the components inside the cat broke loose making an awful sound. Thank God the rock didn't hit anything else. :thumbsup:

I went to a muffler shop to install a new cat, and they had one Magnaflow (UNIVERSAL-FIT Series 94xxx). I installed it. I have a Maganaflow catback.

My question is: Is there a problem to have two different cats? Could the car's performance be affected? Could the computer get different readings?
One is brand new and the other has around 6k miles with me. I'm not sure how many miles it had on the other car. But I can guess that above 20k miles.

I'm not sure if both cats are even high-flow.

The box of the new Magnaflow didn't say high-flow.

:shrug:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Contact Magnaflow and ask them. Then you'll know for sure.

beabout

Established Member
OK, the worst case will be you cannot ID the cat that remains usable on your car and have to replace both of them.....

You must have matching cats on your car or you risk damage to your engine.

I am sorry, I do not have the vendor info handy, but several manufacturers produce HP cats that will work on our cars and not throw codes and will pass most smog tests. Most, if not all, of the exhaust vendors Bassani, SLP just to name 2 do not manufacturer the cats they sell with their systems.

Bullitt4110

Established Member
Bassani cats will NOT pass a smog test. My buddy just tried to smog his car with Bassani cats and it failed horribly. Put the stock H-pipe on and it passed with flying colors. The Bassani cats did not not take care of the hydrocarbons.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
capello said:
OK, the worst case will be you cannot ID the cat that remains usable on your car and have to replace both of them.....

You must have matching cats on your car or you risk damage to your engine.

I am sorry, I do not have the vendor info handy, but several manufacturers produce HP cats that will work on our cars and not throw codes and will pass most smog tests. Most, if not all, of the exhaust vendors Bassani, SLP just to name 2 do not manufacturer the cats they sell with their systems.

In what way not-matching cats can damage an engine???

Both cats are working. The Magnaflow is brand new and the MAC (the one that came with the X-Pipe) is in good condition.

The computer hasn't thrown any code.

The car works great and sounds same as before.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
WhiteSnake74 said:
In what way not-matching cats can damage an engine???

Both cats are working. The Magnaflow is brand new and the MAC (the one that came with the X-Pipe) is in good condition.

The computer hasn't thrown any code.

The car works great and sounds same as before.

Your fine. You should have no issues form the 2 cats being different.

baldNittos04

Established Member
Bullitt4110 said:
Bassani cats will NOT pass a smog test. My buddy just tried to smog his car with Bassani cats and it failed horribly. Put the stock H-pipe on and it passed with flying colors. The Bassani cats did not not take care of the hydrocarbons.

CHIT!! glad i know this now

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Bullitt4110 said:

lol yeah i can vouch for this. Triple the amount of acceptable hydrocarbons at 15mph if i remember. almost double the acceptable amount at 25mph.

Hey was the H-Pipe the only change or did you guys remove the chip/tune and return the intake stuff to stock?

Bullitt4110

Established Member
thomas91169 said:
lol yeah i can vouch for this. Triple the amount of acceptable hydrocarbons at 15mph if i remember. almost double the acceptable amount at 25mph.

Hey was the H-Pipe the only change or did you guys remove the chip/tune and return the intake stuff to stock?
Yup only did the H-pipe nothing else. Even left the tune in which has the rear o2's turned off.

Users who are viewing this thread