Difference between Spec Stage 2 and Stage 2+

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Is there a difference in terms of pedal effort? I want the one that requires less pedal effort for daily driving.

Thanks!

And another thing, what is the 10 or 26 spline?

01fordcobra

Established Member
10 or 26 spline is referring to the input shaft of the transmission. a Stock 3650 is a 10 spline. What transmission do you have in yours?

Also I have a Spec Stage 2+ and it really isn't that hard to push the pedal, IMO.

Fat-cat

Established Member
10 spline is the one you need if you dont plan to put the liberty shaft in

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
The stage 2+ description says the following: "The Stage 2+ was deisnged to maintain stage 2 feel for good daily drivability and offers very good wear characteristics."

So I suppose theres no difference in pedal effort.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
I've already got it. Thanks!

So you are telling me that the Spec requires more pedal effort than the stock clutch?

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
I have had both. Had the 2 before and just put a 2+ in last weekend. I also have a 26 spline shaft. The stock shaft spec is 10 spline, so you may want to find out if you have the stock shaft first before you go and order anything. In my opinion, I would upgrade it regardless since the transmission is out.

The stage 2 and 2+ are the same exact clutch, except for the clutch disc. The pressure plate is the same. It is the same pedal tension. The difference is the reverse side of the disc on the 2+ vs. the 2. It features the Carbon Kevlar Metallic pucks rather than the full carbon which is why it handles a little more torque. Both the 2 and 2+ feature full faced disc styles and are VERY streetable.

If you are between the two, go with the 2+. I like it much better than my old 2. My 2 chattered from day 1 and took awhile to go away. My 2+ is as smooth as can be. Never chattered once so far. The pedal is as light and smooth as you could ever ask in a cable style clutch. I dont even need to give throttle to get going. It will grab under its own power. I am very very pleased with it so far and if your main concern is pedal feel, well dont worry because the use the same pressure plate as the 2. Therefore the pedal is the same stiffness.

I should note that I also have a SPEC steel flyweel, firewall adjuster, and release quadrant. I HIGHLY recommend you pick up these up if you dont have them already. You should at lease have a firewall adjuster if anything and probably look into a new flywheel just in case.

SPEC also offers an option on their clutches for our cars for a low pedal requirement which is supposed to keep the pedal in a stock position feel from what I understand. However, you must have the firewall adjuster and release quadrant for that option to work properly.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Thanks for the great review mec03svt!!!

I do have the firewall adj and quadrant kit.

How lond did it take for the chatter to go away on the stage 2? Did it go completely away? That's another thing that worries me.

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
Thanks for the great review mec03svt!!!

I do have the firewall adj and quadrant kit.

How lond did it take for the chatter to go away on the stage 2? Did it go completely away? That's another thing that worries me.

No problem.

Well mine never really "went" away but it became very subtle. Enough to drive around. I can't really give you an exact time/mileage where it went "away", but I would say after the 500 mile break-in you should notice some changes in the feel of the clutch when it comes to that. As long as you break them in right, it should be a very friendly clutch. The 2+ was night and day for me. My Stage 2 didn't hold up well for some reason and the more I drive with my 2+, the more I think something was wrong with my stage 2. You would think the 2 would have been, if anything, much smoother and easier than my 2+, but it is the opposite. My 2+ is much friendlier than my 2.

It really depends on your power level and mods, and what most of your driving habits consists of. If you want a nice street clutch that isn't going to jerk the car all around and is very predictable, then I have to recommend the 2+ just because of my experience with it now. However if you don't care to spend the extra 50 dollars or so for it, then you won't go wrong with the stage 2. If you plan to do some track time, then go with the 2+. It will hold up a little better.

Last edited:

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Stage 2+ installed!!!

Love it! It feels great. No pedal tension at all. It feels like an hydraulic system. Smooth! Compared to the stock it's night & day.

It does have a little chatter compared to the stock. I'm really going very easy on it for a good break-in. Will the chatter go away after the break-in period?

five 0 ninja

Established Member
Glad to hear you like it as I am about to install my 2+. I ordered mine with the low pedal requirement did you? Hopefully the chatter goes away for you, that's the one thing that scares me. Did you reuse yor stock alumInum flywheel? If so did you have the friction surface replaced?

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
I have a 2+ in one Cobra and a 3+ in the other. The 2+ tend to chatter less and have a lighter pedal effort. I guess that means less clamping force.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
Glad to hear you like it as I am about to install my 2+. I ordered mine with the low pedal requirement did you? Hopefully the chatter goes away for you, that's the one thing that scares me. Did you reuse yor stock alumInum flywheel? If so did you have the friction surface replaced?

I have the stock flywheel but it's new and didn't require resurface. The chatter is very subtle. But the stock clutch didn't chatter at all. Hope it goes away after the break-in period. At least is a very subtle chatter.

WhiteSnake74

Established Member
1st day (Saturday) was chatter free. Very smooth. The chatter started on day 2 (Monday). Today (Wednesday) it has 100 miles of stop & go traffic driving and the chatter is a bit stronger. I've been very easy on the clutch. I hope it goes away after break-in. :(

dlaude

Established Member
Alright, here's a question to make you all feel really smart haha. What is chatter in regards to a clutch? I've got all stock stuff on mine...

Users who are viewing this thread