Difference between heat exchangers

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Anyone know the differrence between these two exchangers:

Shelby High Performance Heat Exchanger

and...

Shelby American Competition Heat Exchanger

$400 difference, but the only thing I saw in the description is the second one supposedly cools better than the first. Doesn't give any indication as to why.

The first appears to be the exact unit Van recommends (I believe he said he carries the C&R-labelled one because of a premium Shelby charges, or something to that effect). That said, the second one looks to be exactly the same. Maybe he can chime in on this one.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I run the first one and it's more then you will ever need to keep things cool. The second one is to new and it has been asked several times and nobody seems to have any info on it, to me it seems like overkill.

Van@RevanRacing

Anyone know the differrence between these two exchangers:

Shelby High Performance Heat Exchanger

and...

Shelby American Competition Heat Exchanger

$400 difference, but the only thing I saw in the description is the second one supposedly cools better than the first. Doesn't give any indication as to why.

The first appears to be the exact unit Van recommends (I believe he said he carries the C&R-labelled one because of a premium Shelby charges, or something to that effect). That said, the second one looks to be exactly the same. Maybe he can chime in on this one.

I use a Visteon Core in my original design heat exchanger. Shelby's new heat exchanger utilizes a Denso Core that was 10-15% more efficient than the Visteon when we were going through design development and testing.

I have not had an opportunity to utilize the new heat exchanger and data log it.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
I use a Visteon Core in my original design heat exchanger. Shelby's new heat exchanger utilizes a Denso Core that was 10-15% more efficient than the Visteon when we were going through design development and testing.

I have not had an opportunity to utilize the new heat exchanger and data log it.

Thanks for weighing in on this one, Van. So the first Shelby unit I linked has the same specs as the one you carry (visteon core)?

91z28350

Established Member
I believe the first one you linked is the one Van designed for Shelby (don't take this as gospel, I am going of memory here).

Stew2011

Established Member
I use one of Van's H/E and you could definitely see the difference on the dyno. The fans on the H/E move an incredible amount of air and heat soak was non existent. Just my 2 cents.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Out of curiosity, how loud are these things in action? Also, do the fans activate automatically when the temps dictate? Not really familiar with their operation.

Also, how long/difficult is a typical install?

TexasShelby

Established Member
Not meaning to jack your thread, but I've looked at both of those and decided that Van's unit and the Roush resv is the direction I'm going when I upgrade the HE in a few weeks.
I'm 95% street/traffic driving, and just knowing Van will be there if I need anything, is more than anything SPP can offer.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Not meaning to jack your thread, but I've looked at both of those and decided that Van's unit and the Roush resv is the direction I'm going when I upgrade the HE in a few weeks.
I'm 95% street/traffic driving, and just knowing Van will be there if I need anything, is more than anything SPP can offer.

No worries. And yeah, I was wondering about the roush reservoir when I read the listing on van's site. Got a pic of it?

Still curious about the noise/operation questions I asked, too.

E.Marquez

Established Member
No worries. And yeah, I was wondering about the roush reservoir when I read the listing on van's site. Got a pic of it?

Still curious about the noise/operation questions I asked, too.

RoushCoolanttank004.jpg

gt500ictank.jpg

2011-ford-shelby-GT350-engine.jpg

What noise / operation question? Must have missed it/

When first installed you will here the HE fans running and think they are loud while outside the car.. After a week, you will not even notice them.

Operation? Nothing to operate, they come on, they go off on their own if wired as recommended. :pepper:

T.O.Snake

Established Member
What noise / operation question? Must have missed it/

When first installed you will here the HE fans running and think they are loud while outside the car.. After a week, you will not even notice them.

Operation? Nothing to operate, they come on, they go off on their own if wired as recommended. :pepper:

So there's no switch to operate - fans just come on themselves as temps rise?

And yes, I'm trying to get a sense of how loud/intrusive the sound is. Sounds as though the benefits clearly outweigh noise, but curious nonetheless.

TexasShelby

Established Member
On the 3 sites that I have contributed to for over 6 years, I've never heard of anyone having a complaint about any noise whatsoever concerning the level of sound coming from the fans/HE.
And I've never heard any negative comments from anyone concerning the lack of improvement in performance from the H/E swap.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
On the 3 sites that I have contributed to for over 6 years, I've never heard of anyone having a complaint about any noise whatsoever concerning the level of sound coming from the fans/HE.
And I've never heard any negative comments from anyone concerning the lack of improvement in performance from the H/E swap.

Yes, as I said, I'm sure the benefits would far overshadow any noise increase. Still just interested in the degree of noise, whether heard from outside or inside.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Yes, as I said, I'm sure the benefits would far overshadow any noise increase. Still just interested in the degree of noise, whether heard from outside or inside.

You can hear them outside the car- no question.

I have a vert and with the top down the only time I hear them is of the radio is off and I am in an enclosed parking garage.

Users who are viewing this thread