Difference between Corvette C5 and C5 Zo6

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
I know, I know, wrong WEBSITE.

But theres some INFORMED people on here and a buddy is trying to decide between the 2.

So far Ive come across this much, correct me if Im wrong:

Different -

Brakes
Suspension
Heads
Cam
Transmission

Anything else major? Besides the obvious Targa/Vert/ options?

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
The C5 comes with a LS1 (340hp), while the Z06 comes with the LS6 (400hp). The Z has a LS6 intake, LS6 cam, and LS6 heads, and I'm pretty sure they have different exhausts too. They have a better braking system too, and a different suspension.

If he's got the money, A C5 Z is an all around better car.

Basically, the C5 Z handles better, pulls harder, and you're forced to get a M6. What else is there to know?

Last edited:

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
One would think this is an easy decision. Why settle for just a C5 when he could have the mighty Z06? Better all around car, except for the interior, it's pretty much the same.

-Eric

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
The C5Z is a FRC, fixed roof coupe.

It's about 100lbs lighter and everything else mentioned above.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
The C5 comes with a LS1 (340hp), while the Z06 comes with the LS6 (400hp). The Z has a LS6 intake, LS6 cam, and LS6 heads, and I'm pretty sure they have different exhausts too. They have a better braking system too, and a different suspension.

If he's got the money, A C5 Z is an all around better car.

Basically, the C5 Z handles better, pulls harder, and you're forced to get a M6. What else is there to know?

Thanks!

But to answer your question, hes MAINLY gonna drag race it, so thats why the questions come up. Is it worth buying the suspension, brakes, etc. When he isnt gonna Road Race.

Thanks for the quick response!!!

:beer:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Thanks!

But to answer your question, hes MAINLY gonna drag race it, so thats why the questions come up. Is it worth buying the suspension, brakes, etc. When he isnt gonna Road Race.

Thanks for the quick response!!!

:beer:

They're night and day on a dragstrip too. A C5Z will run mid to low 12s stock, a base C5 is a 13 second car.

The rigidity of the coupe and suspension help on a drag strip as well. The C5Z also has an M12 with superior gear ratios.

LS1/MM6 vs. LS6/M12
1st Gear 2.66:1 2.97:1
2nd Gear 1.78:1 2.07:1
3rd Gear 1.30:1 1.43:1
4th Gear 1.00:1 1.00:1
5th Gear 0.74:1 0.84:1
6th Gear 0.50:1 0.56:1
Reverse 2.90:1 3.28:1

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
If he wants to make a track car out of it, why not get a fbody? cheaper to buy, build, and maintain.

How far is he gonna take it too? Just bolt-ons? If so, Z06. If he wants to make 700hp, just get a C5. You'll take anything that makes a Z06 out anyways.

have him research what it takes to make one of these fast, and how much parts are too.

oilwell1415

Established Member
If he wants to make a track car out of it, why not get a fbody? cheaper to buy, build, and maintain.

How far is he gonna take it too? Just bolt-ons? If so, Z06. If he wants to make 700hp, just get a C5. You'll take anything that makes a Z06 out anyways.

have him research what it takes to make one of these fast, and how much parts are too.

There is a lot of truth here! To make big power all of the Z engine parts will be gone, but the rest of the car is still worth having and there is a market for used Z engine parts.

I would avoid the first year of the Z, it was only 375hp and wasn't as refined as the later cars.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

So much win in this post.

Would be like someone buying a 03/04 Cobra for $25k, then rebuilding the motor, trans, going SRA, etc. Might as well have started with a GT at that point and just worked up, and saved a shitload of $$$.

If I was buying a C5 to stay mostly stock/boltons, it would be a Z. If I was buying one to gut the motor and do a stroker with a power adder and go crazy with the suspension, just get a base C5.

oilwell1415

Established Member
Wasn't the c5 hardtop a one year only platform? They are rare, and unless there is a penalty in class rules or something I believe the Z would be a better platform.

If the intent is mainly drag racing I will second the f body idea. A basic hardtop v8 can be had cheap and is a better drag platform than the Vette. It also come with a solid axle which is required by the rules at some point on the ET chart.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
FRC's are another option as mentioned if he likes the looks of te Z06's. A friend has a 99 FRC that was built for the watkins glen. Saved a ton in the process since he went through the whole car.

Also, is he going to be doing the work himself?

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member

Not a DEDICATED track/drag car. Otherwise an old foxbody would be in the picture.

He knows how much parts are. :beer:

But ALL my friends have Mustangs, and hes gone from a 05GT, to the P51a, to wanting something different, something cruisable, that he can still toy with.
If he ever hit 500RWHP with it Id be surprised.

chimazo

Established Member
'01's rated at 385hp, while '02-'04's are rated at 405hp.
'02-'04 have standard HUD.
Wheels and tires are different from standard C5, and I can tell you personally that you'd be hard-pressed to find a lighter wheel than a C5 Z06 has.
Z06 is 100lbs lighter than standard C5, and even the front and rear glass is thinner to save weight, and the over-axle section of the exhaust is titanium, which saves almost 20lbs vs. stainless.

They are great cars and quite comfortable. I sold my blown '02 because I got an offer I couldn't refuse.
IMG_0322.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread