diff leak

386tunchi

usmc
Established Member
i noticed yesterday my rear end was leaking when i changed my cat back, not leaking but forming a drip. the bottom bolt wasnt tight but snug, and i have read a thread where wheel hop would do that, yes i did tighten it but i guess im just going to pull it and swap the gasket since im at 52xxx. i couldnt find the how to thread where the a arms and axles stayed and he just pulled the chunk by itself so if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated:beer:

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
At your miles, you might as well go ahead and rebuild the diff. Do all new bearings, including the carrier bearings, and new clutch packs for the diff. The bearings in my diff as well as the carrier were trashed at 45k

I used ford TA-29 to seal my diff. no leaks yet and it's been 2000 miles and a hell of a lot of abuse

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i noticed yesterday my rear end was leaking when i changed my cat back, not leaking but forming a drip. the bottom bolt wasnt tight but snug, and i have read a thread where wheel hop would do that, yes i did tighten it but i guess im just going to pull it and swap the gasket since im at 52xxx. i couldnt find the how to thread where the a arms and axles stayed and he just pulled the chunk by itself so if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated:beer:

you can leave the a-arms, but you would need to pull the axles. there have been a couple of guys who say they were able to reseal it while still in the car, but most of us think it is easier to just drop the pumpkin to reseal it. best of luck :beer:

evers86

Established Member
Just did mine this weekend. Not that bad of a job to pull it. make sure you get new diff bushings though. I had to buy a new diff torque bar mine was tweaked so bad.

386tunchi

usmc
Established Member
Is rebuilding it pretty much a basic hand tools DIY in your garage or a higher echelon of maintenance? Just thinking about it has gotten me pretty skidish about driving it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotcobra03

Established Member
cover can be removed with rear still in car..problem is oil drips for ever...it has to be dry for good seal

to do this ..pull catback..drop rear of driveshaft...remove front of diff brace than rear will move forward enough to get cover off...

to pull center you only need to open 1 side at hub ...remove axle than slide center section out to do on bench...

or send out for rebuild....

this is also the time to do fuel filter why its open

Users who are viewing this thread