Diff cover???

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
you would not need to drop the irs but you do need to drop the differential

i have read a couple of instances where folks have tried to install/reseal the stock cover with the diff in the car but they usually say it isnt worth it. drop the whole diff and install the cover then reinstall the diff

i just started my irs overhaul over the weekend. (so far i have the car in the air lol) but i bought one of these lpw covers from am and i will post up results as i progress :beer:

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
you would not need to drop the irs but you do need to drop the differential

i have read a couple of instances where folks have tried to install/reseal the stock cover with the diff in the car but they usually say it isnt worth it. drop the whole diff and install the cover then reinstall the diff

i just started my irs overhaul over the weekend. (so far i have the car in the air lol) but i bought one of these lpw covers from am and i will post up results as i progress :beer:

I got a price of 200 for an install is that decent? I just dont wanna have to deal with it especially after just finishing the clutch install...lol

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
Ok guys I just did the LPW cover and MM diff. bushings this Saterday. And damn it sucked being on the ground doing this without a lift. It took me about 8 or 9 hrs. I will put up some pics tomorrow or tonight. The LPW cover is very nice and looks and feels pretty damn tough, I had to drop the diff. take out the half shafts, cat back & disconnect the drive shaft. I followed the directions for the diff bushings that were sent with the kit. The LPW cover bolted right up. So for "10thSVT" I would say $200.00 is pretty good for the install. I did mine myself to learn and to save some coin for other crap. All and all it when smooth and if not for my girls Dad I would have probably not finished in one day....

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
very cool swampmodular! congrats

so no interference whatsoever between the lpw cover and the mm aluminum rear diff mount?

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
Ok guys I just did the LPW cover and MM diff. bushings this Saterday. And damn it sucked being on the ground doing this without a lift. It took me about 8 or 9 hrs. I will put up some pics tomorrow or tonight. The LPW cover is very nice and looks and feels pretty damn tough, I had to drop the diff. take out the half shafts, cat back & disconnect the drive shaft. I followed the directions for the diff bushings that were sent with the kit. The LPW cover bolted right up. So for "10thSVT" I would say $200.00 is pretty good for the install. I did mine myself to learn and to save some coin for other crap. All and all it when smooth and if not for my girls Dad I would have probably not finished in one day....

Yeah I got a price on my clutch and flywheel install of 1100.00 I did it myself for just cost of parts being 487.00 Took me a few days few hours here and there but its done... The diff cover I think I will pay to have done just to not have to deal with it..

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
More. A little bit of a dirty job to say the least!! I will put up some more tonight after it was installed!!

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
thanks for sharing the pics swampmodular :beer:

reason i ask if the lpw cover has any interference problems is cuz some other folks said they had to do some grinding when using the delrin rear support bushing. but you're the first i have read on these boards using the lpw cover and the mm aluminum rear support

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
looks incompatible...

well i rec'd my lpw cover yesterday ups. it is a nice piece! i esp like the vent design and am curious how it will work out on a street application.

i haven't tried to install it yet, but i am pretty certain that it will not work with the maximum motorsports aluminum rear differential mount (without modification). it appears that it will interfere with the cover, unless when i mocked it up i had the mount upside down, which i doubt.

if you recall, fore encountered incompatibiity issues with their billet cover when using the mm mount. but they also did offer to modify it before delivery if the customer said that is what they would be using.

anyway, fwiw!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
^ c'mon dude, gettin dirty is half the fun! lol

i dropped my entire irs this weekend, and left the differential in it since i will be doing all the irs bushings at the same time. i will try to post up some pics :beer:

steve5575

Established Member
well i rec'd my lpw cover yesterday ups. it is a nice piece! i esp like the vent design and am curious how it will work out on a street application.

i haven't tried to install it yet, but i am pretty certain that it will not work with the maximum motorsports aluminum rear differential mount (without modification). it appears that it will interfere with the cover, unless when i mocked it up i had the mount upside down, which i doubt.

if you recall, fore encountered incompatibiity issues with their billet cover when using the mm mount. but they also did offer to modify it before delivery if the customer said that is what they would be using.

anyway, fwiw!

I forgot that MM offered two different diff bushing kits. My original question was about the solid blue bushing.

I just got off the phone with Maximum and the tech that answered the phone said that the factory Ford cover doesn't require additional strengthening after the installation of that large solid blue bushing. He said that their IRS cars do not run after market covers. I commented on what a pain it is to drain the fluid but he said that a fluid change is not required very often and removing the cover is really the only way to remove all of the oil in the pumpkin. I tend to trust what these guy tell me. It looks like my 450RWHP daily driver is going to just keep the factory cover. :beer:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I forgot that MM offered two different diff bushing kits. My original question was about the solid blue bushing.

I just got off the phone with Maximum and the tech that answered the phone said that the factory Ford cover doesn't require additional strengthening after the installation of that large solid blue bushing. He said that their IRS cars do not run after market covers. I commented on what a pain it is to drain the fluid but he said that a fluid change is not required very often and removing the cover is really the only way to remove all of the oil in the pumpkin. I tend to trust what these guy tell me. It looks like my 450RWHP daily driver is going to just keep the factory cover. :beer:

good point! i noticed this morning when i posted that swampmodular was not using that big blue aluminum one in those pics, he was using the other mm bushing that fits into the stock housing.

well i have both now, so i figure if i ever want to swap them out i can lol. i would use the stock cover with the mm blue aluminum piece, or the lpw cover with bruces delrin bushing. and i will sell my billetflow brace.

someone did mention in another thread that some grinding would be required with the lpw and delrin. however, bruce's instructions do say to chamfer the edge, even with the stock cover, so i am curious to see how it works and i will post up my results when i get it back together.

steve5575

Established Member
good point! I noticed this morning when i posted that swampmodular was not using that big blue aluminum one in those pics, he was using the other mm bushing that fits into the stock housing.

Well i have both now, so i figure if i ever want to swap them out i can lol. I would use the stock cover with the mm blue aluminum piece, or the lpw cover with bruces delrin bushing. And i will sell my billetflow brace.

Someone did mention in another thread that some grinding would be required with the lpw and delrin. However, bruce's instructions do say to chamfer the edge, even with the stock cover, so i am curious to see how it works and i will post up my results when i get it back together.

great!!

black 10th vert

Established Member

That is partially true. The correct way to do it, however, is to drill, and tap the bottom of the case for a 1/2" npt plug. I used to do every IRS diff that I built that way. I had a fixture to do the job set up on my Bridgeport, but it could be done (very carefully) by hand also. I'm definitely going to do the one in my car when I drop my irs for bushing install.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
That is partially true. The correct way to do it, however, is to drill, and tap the bottom of the case for a 1/2" npt plug. I used to do every IRS diff that I built that way. I had a fixture to do the job set up on my Bridgeport, but it could be done (very carefully) by hand also. I'm definitely going to do the one in my car when I drop my irs for bushing install.

here is a nice writeup that ashley did a few years back. if i ever pick up a spare case then i might give it a shot eventually

[ame=http://www.socalterminators.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13440]I can drain my diff now! - SoCalTerminators.com Forums[/ame]

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
scratch that...

i might have been wrong earlier when i said that the mm aluminum rear diff mount would not be compatible with the lpw cover.

i haven't bolted it back up yet (pumpkin still at drivetrain shop) but it looks like the flat part of the mm mount goes towards the front of the car. i thought that the stepped side went towards the front of the car, which would interfere with the lpw cover. i was under that impression because mm's directions show a pic with the stepped side towards the front, but i think those directions show a pic that is wrong.
here are those instructions: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/content/install/pdf/irs/MMIRSB-40_1.pdf

here are some pics...

diff off to shop...

when i get the diff back i will verify the compatibility... :beer:

Last edited:

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
Yes i used the MM bushings, I was going to spring for the solid stuff but I have seen two different IRS housings crack the ears because of using them, so thats why I used the others.

Users who are viewing this thread