Diesels? NEED HELP

bumblebeetu

Banned
NO Im not selling my truck for a diesel or thinking baout putting a deisel in a L.

My Question:
I need a new daily and so does my dad....we like trucks. This will finally able me to get the L on the lift for mods:pepper:
Its between the big three with afterthoughts:

Ford F350/450: Love the look, Love everything about these new trucks. But, have heard they arent shit on gas milage with the new "dual" (twin) turbo setup. -- If Ford could get 20m/g dry and 12-15m/g loaded, I would stop this thread!

Dodge 3500: CUMMINS is almost worth it alone. Dont really know much about Dodge but supposedly they are the best for towing/ gas milage.?
Dont like the interior...at all.

Chevrolet 3500HD: Heard mixed about the Duramax. Heard more good things about the new ones (07-08). Dont like the IFS on all models. Love the features/interior.

I want opinions
Tell me what manufacturer, what truck, and why.

I dont know diesels for shit so HELP ME OUT PLease

Last edited:

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
7.3 and a tuner... they run forever make gob of power, and get good gas milage

dodge has 1 thing going for it... CUMMINS thats it the rest is crap

chevy... well its a chevy...

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
Ford is good. Haven't driven a newer one with the twins setup. A 7.3 is a good one but if you want new thats out

Dodge. My uncle has a new one and it does make plenty of power. I don't think the interior is that bad but once again look at Dodges general diesel truck weak point.... The tranny. They are really too new to find out about them quite yet.

Duramax. They are ok probably the least powerful of the three and this is the interior I don't like.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
I have a 7.3L PSD with an exhaust, CAI, and custom tunes from Jody at DP Tuner. It's faster than any stock 6.0L PSD, and it will last me just about forever.

If you can find an '06 or '07 6.0L PSD that hasn't had the problems the earlier models are know for, then get it. Mod it with some custom tunes from Jody at DP Tuner and you'll have one hot truck that will edge out any stock Cummins you come across.

Stewart

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
A couple of us L guys own PSDs here, take a stroll to a Powerstroke forum or look in the Superduty section here.

BTW Derek, I'll be up at Cecil this Friday if you wanna join in with some locals from a PSD forum, so far there will be over 10 PSDs.

Last edited:

OrgasmicSVT

Established Member
I've driven all three and I think I would choose an LMM Duramax. The Ford is really nice inside, but they burn so much fuel. The dodge is really cheap on the inside. but has the Cummins...
bumblebeetuna said:
NO Im not selling my truck for a diesel or thinking baout putting a deisel in a L.

My Question:
I need a new daily and so does my dad....we like trucks. This will finally able me to get the L on the lift for mods:pepper:
Its between the big three with afterthoughts:

Ford F350/450: Love the look, Love everything about these new trucks. But, have heard they arent shit on gas milage with the new "dual" (twin) turbo setup. -- If Ford could get 20m/g dry and 12-15m/g loaded, I would stop this thread!

Dodge 3500: CUMMINGS is almost worth it alone. Dont really know much about Dodge but supposedly they are the best for towing/ gas milage.?
Dont like the interior...at all.

Chevrolet 3500HD: Heard mixed about the Duramax. Heard more good things about the new ones (07-08). Dont like the IFS on all models. Love the features/interior.

I want opinions
Tell me what manufacturer, what truck, and why.

I dont know diesels for shit so HELP ME OUT PLease

Last edited:

Cichlids

I8ASRT10
Established Member
Heard somewhere that Ford is trying to put cummings in their lineup. Cummings is all Dodge has running for them.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I thought Ford was looking at Cat??? But anyway i have an 04 PSD and have had nothing but good luck with it. I got it with 118,000 miles on it and i have gone to PA to pick up a car with an 25 foot enclosed trailer and did really well with milage. 12 down and 13 on the way back. Now daily i get a little less than i could because i am only 2 miles away from work so i am right around 14-15 but on the highway i am at about 20 mpg's. If your looking at a new truck i think i would wait till 09 to get the TT setup so they get all the bugs out.....although i havent heard of to many issues but i have no first hand experience with them

20LethalVenom03

Beaver Hunter
Established Member
duramax is good, all 07+ emissons trucks are junk, new 6.7 cummins is a piece of trash, and the dmaxs are good, 6.4 TT is good, mileage improves with tuner and dpf delete.

BlownBolt

Doesn't Care
Established Member
Dont buy a the 6.7 Cummins if you are buying a new truck. They are having a lot of problems with them. The new Fords are bad ass, but your right fuel milage isn't good.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
my 2cents....................

the cummins is by far the best medium duty engine out there. No ifs ands buts about it. However, the dodge has a k-mart interior and tranny thats suspicous at best. Lower entry price than ford and chevy though.

The ford superduty is has the strongest frame, great build quality and the most luxurious interior. The tranny and driveline are also top notch. Most expensive truck out there. As far as the engine, the power joke would not be your best investment. Its poorly designed and overly complex. With the low fuel mileage, high diesel prices and costly maintenance you'll come out much cheaper just getting a gas v-10.

The duramax is a great engine. Unlike ford or dodge, GM has acquired design controll from Isuzu. This is definately the hot rod of the 3. The interior, body, chassis are halfway between ford and dodge. Not expensive as ford. My only problem with the truck is it has a low ride height and a wheel/tire package from a hyundai. If you buy one drive it straight from the dealer to the nearest off-road shop. You'll need at least a 6in lift and 38's

Last edited:

bumblebeetu

Banned
damn guys, thanks for the input. I apreaciate how Opinions are shared openly. Ill check out the other forums.

20lethalvenom03- You have quite a truck. You probably have a better idea than some of us L guys. What other forums would you recommend?

bocalightning89

Established Member
if you want to be able to go as fast or faster than an L in a diesel, then go cummins or d-max, preferably an 07 or older cause the newones have all that emissions shit on them, the same emissions shit is on the new powerstrokes, but they arent as able to make as much power as the other two. if that dosent matter to you go for a 6.0 or 6.4 powerstroke and stay with ford, they are the best all around truck out there. you can add 150+hp and 250+tq to all the three for about a grand, get good fuel milage, tow a house, and run high 13s all day
and pick up a diesel power magazine before you buy anything

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Getting any diesel to turn 12s in the 1/4 isn't cheap.

Ford has a CAT and I even think a Cummins option (bigger Cummins) in their Commercial F-series, the F650 and above.

I doubt the "smaller" F-series will ever see a Cummins come stock.

PSD

Established Member
Im big into diesels.... Dodge's on average to get better fuel mileage but im with you, the interior SUCKS. For that reason alone i will never buy one. Duramax- it seems to be a good engine/ trans combo, not real sure what they get for mileage but they are right up there in power. I dont like the IFS though. Ford- well they dang sure got the looks, just hope the new engine is up to par. I have a good friend who is a master tech, the 6.4 is a bastard to work on but has MUCH less problems than the 6.0 and manages mid teens empty. Honestly after test driving the big 3 a ford is what id buy based on looks and performance.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
You know what websters dictionary defines dodge as??? TO AVOID!!

I have been hearing good things about the 6.7 dodge, not much on the 6.4. I wouldn't have a d-max shoved up my ass.

20LethalVenom03

Beaver Hunter
Established Member
damn guys, thanks for the input. I apreaciate how Opinions are shared openly. Ill check out the other forums.

20lethalvenom03- You have quite a truck. You probably have a better idea than some of us L guys. What other forums would you recommend?

thanks, www.thedieselgarage.com and www.fordtruckworld.com, thedieselgarage is the best place for good solid information. IMO Go with a V10/automatic and supercharge it, or a chipped 7.3, you can buy a 6.0L, but run an OASIS report first (free on thedieselgarage) to make sure it hasnt been in the shop, usually with the 6L, they either run awesome or live in the shop, depends on the truck for some reason its hit or miss.

Users who are viewing this thread