Did you sell your mustang when you had your first kid?

phfelts

Established Member
What's up guys, I know I've seen this topic come up a few times before, but I couldn't find any old threads so here goes. Did you sell your car when you first had kids? I always like to window shop for different cars, but since my wife and I are expecting now I'm trying to decide what will work best for me. I'm stationed in Hawaii right now, and by the time our child is born I should only have one year left before moving again. On one hand I think about just keeping my car since it's paid off, and just dealing with the fact that a rear facing car seat will make the front passenger seat useless, but my wife has an SUV so in all reality there's no reason for everyone to cram in the mustang. One the other hand I think that just trading for a four door would make things a lot easier.

Long story short, I'm curious what some of you guys did or what you replaced your fun car with. Right now I'm considering a Focus RS, 4Runner, Wrangler Unlimited, Scat Pack Charger, or maybe an SS Sedan. There's also a nice E39 M5 on island for sale, but I'm hesitant to try and daily a car that's 15 years old. An F-150 would be awesome, but not the most practical on island. Anyways, I'm just curious to hear your experiences. Thanks in advance!

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
If you're leaving the island and plan to take both cars with you in 1-1.5 years, I would just figure it out after. One thing most don't realize, just because a car is a 4dr is no guarantee it will handle a rear facing seat and the front passenger seat be able to be used normally. If you have an SUV that has a middle seat, just go with that for transporting the baby around for now.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
No...didn't sell it when my 2nd kid came either lol

I do however think about often...I never drive it and I do want a larger bassboat lol

GT500-2007

Established Member
Yup....sold it.....had a 1996 GT convertible and only way to get the car seat in was to put the top down, drop in the carrier and then top up and the stroller did not fit in trunk. Car was a daily driver. 1st child came in 1999 so traded it in for a 4 door Mitsubishi Diamanté. At the time sporty and sharp looking. Some regrets at first but made sense. Couldn't afford multiple cars back then. Upside bought a GT500 in 2007 once the kids were out of car carriers.

GT

drivebymashing

Established Member
Yep I had a 1999 cobra she had a 2005 gt Sold both bought a 2011 crew cab 5.0 f150. Was great with rear facing. Now thats shes in booster seat. She has a 2001 gt and I have a 2004 z06

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
image.jpeg

Nope, now 19 mo. Old he loves it!

Last edited:

dom418

Established Member
I sold my Terminator as well as our Newer MDX so that my wife could stay home with our son. As soon as he was born my priorities instantly changed. It's funny because people say that all the time and I never thought it would happen to me.

He's 2 now and I have no regrets. I will buy another toy one day but I have no interest or time right now.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I sold it right before our first was born. He's 19 months old now and we have a second on the way and I just bought it back. Never should have sold it.

Kiohtee

Established Member
My first is a week old today. Still have my Mustang (and it isn't going anywhere).

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
nope, both my boys grew up in both my cobras :)
I did recently purchase a 98 sahara and we love it. if you're considering a wrangler you will be happy with both kiddos in the back and the 3 piece
freedom top or even a soft top. easy to work on, can pretty much get through any weather, and just overall awesome vehicles. I love mine and to be
honest I have no regrets selling my terminator for my sahara, at least not yet.

natedog_1959

Established Member
I bought my mustang after my first child was born! I still have it now that we have two chidren (5 and 1). My 5 year old loves riding in Daddy's fast car, even though she has never been faster than highway speed in it.

Nate

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
About to have my first in the next 6 weeks. No plans to get rid of the cobra, but it falls in the toy category and not DD dury fortunately.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I eventually sold my Mustang after listening to the first wife bitch about having a car that I only drove once in a while. She is gone, and new wife doesn't care what I have as long as the bills are paid.

Blown 89

Established Member
Yup. Replaced it with a manual V wagon. The wagon is nuts but I miss my cobra

yellow03cobra

Established Member
Sold my first 2003 cobra to buy my first house 12 years ago when I got married. Children haven't affected my car purchases.

Last edited:

phfelts

Established Member
Thanks for all the responses everyone! I think part of my problem is there's no track on the island so I never really feel like I get to enjoy the car...also the roads are atrocious. It's hard to really say how often I would need to take a chile around in my car, and there's a chance our child care center could be within walking distance of home. I love not having a car payment, but I feel like getting something with a little more space would make life easier. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the local dealers put a crazy markup on the new Focus RS around here!

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Nope, and is still around after my 2nd. Both my kids love it, my 2 year old always wants to get in the car when I open the door and my daughter tells me that she is going to keep the car when she grows up.

My Cobra was our only car and my DD when my daughter was born. Bought a Maxima a lil over 6 months after but was still my daily car for work. Now she mostly sits on the garage but still gets abused when driven :-D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread