Did you have a problem getting tuned with a C&L MAF?

Tune and C&L

• Tuned with C&L, no probs

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Tuned with C&L probs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tuner asked C&L to be removed

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Tuner did not have a problem Tuning with C&L

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

rmoreau

Established Member
I have seen some posts saying that their tuner asked that the C&L MAF be removed prior to tuning becuase of problems with the MAF "fooling" the computer. Yet I've seen in many sigs chiped and tuned cars with the C&L MAF.

So, which is it??

I am at the point of putting a chip ( Autologic ) and tune and have my C&L, I dont want to sell, but if I cant tune with it it must go.

Thank you

Randy

Last edited:

93cobra03

Established Member
Use a diablo chip 4 bank they can do it. I tried an Autologic and their chip did little for the car. The Diablo required just slight amount of work from the tuner from Diablo. I have alot of mods but they got it pretty spot on.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If they are custom tuning, then there should really be no problem as far as I know. When a problem usually occurs is when you buy a standard preprogrammed chip. The reason for this is because most chips tell the computer to lean the mix down a bit, and this is what your MAF meter may be already doing. So if the tuner takes this into consideration you should be peaches. At least that is what I understand of it any ways.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
The other option is to get a predator so you will have the capability to make minor adjustments in the AF ratio. People say the C&L leans out the AF 5% across the board. Before my pulley mod I only had a C&L and catback and the C&L leaned out the tune enough for me to get a trouble code (SES light stayed on) due to a lean condition. Stock parameters are very conservative so there was not enough leaning out to cause a problem but enough leaning out to get a check engine light.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Diablo advised against using the C&L so I took it off, sold it, and bought a MAF adapter. The C&L lies to the ECC. I think it's a great product if you aren't chip'd or pully'd but it's tough for tuners to get the MAF slope to match the injector slope unless they spend a lot of time tuning with it.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
The EEC is expecting a certain voltage range and knows that at any given voltage it will be flowing a given amount of air. The main problem arises from MAFs not so much from MAFs that have a altered voltage range but those that are calibrated to work with other than stock injectors. If you simply buy a maf that has an accuratly plotted voltage/airflow table and the tuner has access to the proper variables in the EEC then tuning shouldnt be an issue. The biggest problem from what I have seen is that these aftermarket MAF's have such a low standard of quality that tuners often encounter problems because the MAF is not properly reporting voltage etc.

I personally cant wait to see what the new GT maf will do for us. Hopefully give us a bit more over head AND have the same high quality of a factory MAF.

rmoreau

Established Member
As for 1 and 4 I thought about this as well.

My thinking was:

#1 Tuner didnt know it was there, and had no problems.

#4 Tuner saw it or was told of its presence and had no problem doing it.

I also had other options in mind, then realized I really would need a "Differentiating" ( I dont even know if thats the right word!) poll that would ask the questions 1 and 2, then based on answer, 3 and 4, then based on those answers give other options.

I decided to stay with these four.

Randy

Last edited:

stang99

Danny Swanson asked me to remove the C&L. I did, but I used the plastic cover and the filter with a billet adapter on the stock mass air, so it was not a total loss. The cast body went into my pile of C&L's from my 5.0 days. The tune was great with the stock mass air.

Users who are viewing this thread