Did you gain good power from a CATTED X pipe(dyno proven)?

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Tom's_03SVT said:
upr

14rwhp up top and 9rwtq.

lost a little tq under the curve picked it back up above 4500 rpm.
Cool deal. I dynoed 439/468 on 91 octane with a custom tune and mods in sig. HP is down, but I was told an X pipe would really help me out.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I netted very little power/torque gains (about the same as Tom) with my Magnaflow catted X-pipe. Would I still install a new mid-pipe though? Yes. The cats flow better for one thing. And the exhaust has more bite. LOL! However, having had an X-pipe I would go with the MRT catted H-pipe if I were to do it again.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
I had the MRT catted H pipe with Stingers. The sound was great, except for the raspiness at around 3500 RPM. The fit is horrible and the welds is too, it leaked for a long time (3rd gen.). The H Pipe does not flow very well in the upper RPM range. The catted X pipe sounds a little higher pitched, but I think that it is better suited for our cars, especially with a tune and pulley. Mark, just get a catted Magnaflow X pipe. YOu will also need 02 extensions since you have an 04.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hmmm. Brasil, you might have had a bad one. Everyone I know who has the MRT likes it. Good quality. Good power. Good sound. As far as not flowing well in the upper RPM range, where did you get that info?

Juiced46 is making 504rwhp (Mustang Dyno) with a Stage 1 Steigemeirer port, 2.76 upper, MRT off-road H-pipe and other "basic" mods. So I would say it is very close an equal to the X-pipe on these cars. On the dyno and on the track. More boils down to a personal preference IMO. I would easily go with either one.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Bob, actually there has been some posts here lately about fitment and quality issues with the MRT pipe. Rick from Amazon and other tuners that I have spoken with, recommend the X over the H for our engine type. The H might give a little more HP/TQ down low, but it does not flow as well in the upper RPM range due to the gases not merging as effectively as the X. The X pipe shows most of its gains in the mid-high RPM. The sound difference though, is purely subjective.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I asked the question because I've never seen an actual test between the two that accurately measures the performance/flow of each. I'd love to see one some day. I did use the Magnaflow X-pipe. Power and torque gains were very nominal. I just can't see enough difference between the two at the power levels we're talking about to really make any difference either way. Then again, I could be wrong. So I'll shut the heck up now. :)

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Sure Bob, it was explained to me that the exhaust flow merges better with the X pipe, especially in our supercharges engines. I think that a mid-pipe will yield nominal gains on an unpullied Cobra, but once you port the blower, pully the car, and get a tune, I think that a mid-pipe is well worth the money.

Users who are viewing this thread