Did straight pipes on my C6 Z06

BoostedZ06

Established Member
So my C5 Z06 was beastly; D1 blower, on a forged motor, with a healthy blower cam, headers, no cats, and bullets. Daily drove it and it was awesome.

I got my C6 Z06 several years ago and loved it, but of course it was silent. Did the mild to wild which opened up the stock butterfly baffles in the mufflers... better, but still quiet. A year or so later did the muffler mod, which cuts open the stock mufflers and seals the perforated pipe to make it 30% louder or so, which sufficed for another year or so, but still wasn't doing it for me. My car is an 08 and I love the warranty aspect, so I did not want to get headers and tune the car in fear of voiding my warranty. But I still wanted some loudness.

I did some research and found little written up about straight pipes on an otherwise stock C6 Z06. Fabspeed did one set which sounded awesome, but was a one-off and never went into production.

A friend of mine owns a local shop and I sat down with them and talked about making a straight pipe system. I did not want to just hack off the mufflers and weld on some pipe, I wanted them to bend me a full 3" section so that if i didn't like it, I could easily take them off and bolt up my stock (modded) mufflers.

Long story short, we did it. 3" piping from the midpipe out to twin 5" tips, and had the whole system painted black. Here's a very quick preview of it, but I love it. It's LOUD, but not droney. I was afraid it would be a droney loud, but there really isnt much drone if your easy on the throttle. I've cruised on the freeway, around town, etc. And it sounds wicked. Very comparable in loudness to my C5Z with a blower/cam/headers/no cats/bullets... just different

By the way - it shaved ~45 pounds compared to the stock system!

With headers it would definitely be way too much. But with stock manifolds and cats, its really awesome. Its deep, raspy with lots of popping. its LOUD, thats for sure.

I'm very very happy with it. I will take some video clips of it when I get a chance, but here is a preview a friend snapped really quick on his phone. It really doesn't do it justice though.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

[youtube_browser]oQF4x9lBiHg[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

dads01dream

Established Member
Pretty cool, but with the many cops/sheriffs where I live..... OUCH!! Looking forward to more video, maybe some in-car footage @ various rpm's, I'd be curious about droning - ENJOY & glad you found the sound you're after! :beer:

stangaholic280

Established Member
Those LS7 motors sound wicked for sure. I know on my Z06 I ran LG LT headers with no cats and stock catback with butterflys open and it sounded sick.

BoostedZ06

Established Member
Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with it, just a little cautious about how the local leos will be feeling about it haha. The car isn't my DD, hence why I'm okay with it very loud.

leftlane86gt

Established Member
Sounds good a WOT but, sounds like a mercury outboard most of the time. I'll pass. Nice car though.

Play this video and close your eyes. At some point you will be waiting for "the car" to hit WOT. More idle and less reving toward the end of the video.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DleIcwsJpD0&feature=related"]YouTube - Drilled Exhaust[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread