Did I Ruin my 2010 GT500?

Baby Gorilla

MACA Member #531
Established Member
I have about 175 miles on my new 2010 GT500. Last night, I did my first burnout with it (which was awesome, by the way). I'm not so concerned about that, but I revved it high enough that the rev limiter must have kicked in because the rpms suddenly cut off and went down to about 4,000. It drove fine afterwards. No bad noises or smells. Did I do any serious damage by revving it that high? My guess is no, that's why the rev limiter is there. I just wanted to see what you all thought. I'm sure I'm not the first one to have experienced this.

COBRA32

Established Member
Hitting the rev limiter will not do any harm at all. Have fun with her and do not give it a second thought. These cars in stock form are bulliet proof. I have a Kona blue with silver stripes also best combination IMHO. Did you have the traction control off when you did the burnout.

Last edited:

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
I did the very same thing the day I got my '09. The tires broke loose and I hit the limiter. Don't sweat it, you'll be fine.

Mike

red9450

Established Member
Hitting the rev limiter will not do any harm at all. Have fun with her and do not give it a second thought. These cars in stock form are bulliet proof.

x2, don't worry about it....but next time pics, and vids or ban....:burnout:

chuckstang

Established Member
I didnt do that until 500 miles but now I do that everytime I take it out

No problems, now if you remove the rev limiter, then you will have problems

sfadchi

Established Member
You have ruined the car completely! It will never be the same, but don't worry I'll go ahead and be generous and give you $5,000 for it and you can go buy another one!

breoland

Established Member
You have ruined the car completely! It will never be the same, but don't worry I'll go ahead and be generous and give you $5,000 for it and you can go buy another one!

you beat me to it! if you want i can give you 7500:beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Great method for breaking-in the engine. Your didn't hurt anything but I would take it easy on the car until to put some miles on it.

chuckstang

Established Member
No car sounds better than this one bouncing off the limiter

I know its not the fastest way to drive, but I do it just for the fun a it :D

Oh, I could not do it in stock configuration because the wheel hop was so bad but once you get rid of that, then you can really have some fun

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
nope, no problems at all! just remember dude, the rev limiter is in place to SAVE your ass, not to hurt it, lol.

people! these cars are broken in from the factory!

breoland

Established Member
hitting the limiter is fine, its the first and probably wont be the last... you know when you really cringe is when you miss a gear and everything is bouncing off of everything

Users who are viewing this thread