Did Ford ever update the strut mounts in 2012, 13, 14???

TurboX2

Established Member
I have a 2011 and having lowered it of course the strut mounts gave way. Recently put in Koni STR.T with GT500 mounts and on bad roads I just find too much harshness and noise, not squeaks or pops just road noise and thumps from every crack and expansion joint. I'm making an assumption that its from the strut damping and not the GT500 mounts, there's no way that kind of NVH would have been tolerated on a high dollar car... One option is to go back to my stock struts and shocks, but that leaves the problem of the 2011 style mounts failing. Did Ford upgrade them in any of the following years? Also considering Steeda Pro Action, but can't find any real answers on whether they have the same kind of harshness over cracks and expansion joints. Thanks for any input..

Kyle55R

Established Member
A friend and I lowered both of our '13s last spring. His strut mounts gave out soon after being lowered, mine are on their way out now.

Kornilov

Established Member
I have a 2011 and having lowered it of course the strut mounts gave way. Recently put in Koni STR.T with GT500 mounts and on bad roads I just find too much harshness and noise, not squeaks or pops just road noise and thumps from every crack and expansion joint. I'm making an assumption that its from the strut damping and not the GT500 mounts, there's no way that kind of NVH would have been tolerated on a high dollar car... One option is to go back to my stock struts and shocks, but that leaves the problem of the 2011 style mounts failing. Did Ford upgrade them in any of the following years? Also considering Steeda Pro Action, but can't find any real answers on whether they have the same kind of harshness over cracks and expansion joints. Thanks for any input..

Interesting.

I have STR.Ts and dont experience the same noise you do. either, I am more tolerant of road noise than you (quite possible) or you may have noisy tires. I run 19 x 9.5 wheels all around with BFG 275/40/19s. So the issue may be your tires.

TurboX2

Established Member
Interesting.

I have STR.Ts and dont experience the same noise you do. either, I am more tolerant of road noise than you (quite possible) or you may have noisy tires. I run 19 x 9.5 wheels all around with BFG 275/40/19s. So the issue may be your tires.

The tires didn't change with the recent strut change, so while they aren't super quiet (19" Eagle F1 Supercar 255/285) the big increase in noise on rough roads isn't from them....that being said a different tire that would have been quieter with the old setup would also be quieter now, but I wouldn't think by a large amount. Ride quality is so subjective it's not possible to find any definitive information, unlike a lot of parts where you can do a lot more direct A to B comparison... May have to give the Pro Action a try, Steeda has always seemed to put a premium on maintaining ride quality, which is why I went with their UltraLight springs that I couldn't be happier with (stock ride quality with just those installed), probably should have just stuck with them instead of jumping on a used deal on the STR.T..... :-D

TurboX2

Established Member
Do the stock GT '05-10 mounts fail also? Just curious why those aren't ever mentioned as an option? Didn't hear about mounts failing until the '11 and up cars. Since I have the '05-10 STR.T wouldn't I be able to try stock '05-10 mounts to see if the harshness comes from the GT500 mounts? I doubt they are the cause, but if they are I don't want to end up swapping struts/shocks and have the same thing.... :kaboom:

AKDMB

Established Member
I took a set of 05-10 mounts out of a freinds car with 40K miles on them, they were like new, to the point that we almost got the brand new GT500 strut mounts he ordered mixed up with his used ones. I couldn't tell a difference between them really, Kelly @ BMR should be able to tell us, I heard somewhere that the mounts have a slightly stiffer rubber in them. I doubt the NVH is from the mounts, they should be just as quiet as OEM, noises suck though, they are hard to pin down. The Koni's are very well made struts and should be as quiet as OEM as well.

TurboX2

Established Member
The Koni's are very well made struts and should be as quiet as OEM as well.

Not sure if I was clear enough before, it's not the struts making noise, it's increased road and tire noise. I get tire thump on every expansion joint and crack, to the point where bad quality roads make me want to put something in... When it's just me in the car I could put up with it, but I become much more conscious of it when wife and kids are on board... :)

Users who are viewing this thread