Dez vs PerformanceDyno

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Pete tuned my car perfect. No issues and perfect driveability on the street. He has tuned so many cars of friends and acquaintances and they are all 100% satisfied.

No surprise here that I had a negative experience with Dez. I wanted to buy a MAF and couldn't decide which one. Mondo Bob suggested that I ask Dez. Bob was going to a motor build for me, but sadly he is no longer with us.

Dez would NEVER call me, only email. I requested in every email that he call me and he wouldn't even acknowledge that I asked him for a call. Then when I asked a price he stopped emailing me. I would never go to him for anything. I find him unprofessional and very arrogant. Based on the comments here he shouldn't be arrogant about anything. His work isn't impressive either. These cars aren't rocket science like some think. For a while his motors were ok because Mondo Bob was building them so they were done right the first time. I don't know who builds them now.

I saw his shop once, what a dump. You can see that Dez is not a business man and probably has no education in business management. Pete is a business owner. He has his own electrical company, or did before he moved to Loudon. I'm not sure if he still does now. That experience shows in Performance Dyno. He returns calls if he doesn't answer the phone. He isn't texting, talking on the phone, doing facebook, etc while tuning your car. When you are at Pete's you are the only customer he is concerned with. Others walk in and he will greet them, but then its right back to your car until it is done.

There really is no decision here unless location is important to you. Performance Dyno is the place to go.

My2003Mach1

Established Member
Pete tuned my car perfect. No issues and perfect driveability on the street. He has tuned so many cars of friends and acquaintances and they are all 100% satisfied.

No surprise here that I had a negative experience with Dez. I wanted to buy a MAF and couldn't decide which one. Mondo Bob suggested that I ask Dez. Bob was going to a motor build for me, but sadly he is no longer with us.

Dez would NEVER call me, only email. I requested in every email that he call me and he wouldn't even acknowledge that I asked him for a call. Then when I asked a price he stopped emailing me. I would never go to him for anything. I find him unprofessional and very arrogant. Based on the comments here he shouldn't be arrogant about anything. His work isn't impressive either. These cars aren't rocket science like some think. For a while his motors were ok because Mondo Bob was building them so they were done right the first time. I don't know who builds them now.

I saw his shop once, what a dump. You can see that Dez is not a business man and probably has no education in business management. Pete is a business owner. He has his own electrical company, or did before he moved to Loudon. I'm not sure if he still does now. That experience shows in Performance Dyno. He returns calls if he doesn't answer the phone. He isn't texting, talking on the phone, doing facebook, etc while tuning your car. When you are at Pete's you are the only customer he is concerned with. Others walk in and he will greet them, but then its right back to your car until it is done.

There really is no decision here unless location is important to you. Performance Dyno is the place to go.

Very well said. I could not agree with you more!

MichaelPlummer

Established Member
Let me start with some facts:

1) Steve Leppo's White 96 Saleen: My best friend for 20+ years. We (Steve and myself) blew a head gasket on the dyno because we had a brand new Twin disc clutch from Spec (I believe) that did not hold the power and it was slipping. Steve was trying to make a new peak RWHP number on this day, so we kept adding in more timing not realizing that his brand new clutch was slipping. Noticed how I mention we and not Dez.....it was our decision. On that day with a tweaked head gasket, we made 836rwhp and 922rwhp with a new twin disc clutch from McLeod. The gasket wasn't bad at all and when it comes to parts, this car has the best of the best....No shortcuts were taken in this shortblock.

2) Steve Leppo called Pete@Performance Dyno: Because we wanted to see what other shops were charging for labor and parts to repair a head gasket. We also called Viking Motorsports, MPE Racing and another shop in Plymouth, MA. We never had any intentions of leaving Dez Racing. BTW, I say we because were I go, Steve goes.

3) My other good friend Ross McKenney (04 Cobra): Goes to Pete but he had some work done at Dez Racing when Pete wasn't available. He also dyno's at both until Ross started to develop major tire slippage at Dez Racing (rollers are worn). Recently Ross has major tire slippage on Pete's dyno and the car will be going to another dyno NOT because of the work or tuning but because of tire slippage issues on both dynos.

4) Dez Racing had/has a working relationship with the following machine/engine shops:
Mondo Bob (may he RIP): Mike@ABT did all of Mondo Bob's machine/engine work. Bob would assemble some motors while the others were from the shortblock up. Dez Racing did 90% of the tuning that needed to be done on combo's that were completed by Mondo Bob. The other 10% was dynoed by Fred Simmons@Simmons Motorsport Group.

Steve LaPointe Engines: Does all of Dez Racing's machine/engine work on Windsor engines.

Adam of 2 Nasty Engines: Does all of the machine/engine work on modular engines.

5) Both guys (Mike and Pete) are very knowledgeable and good tuners but Dez Racing is a lot busier than Performance Dyno and that's a fact. Dez Racing until recently was under staffed so work is being completed faster because Mike and Brian don't have to answer the telephone, take sales calls, etc. Tuners are not in the habit of blowing up engines. If you had or are having issues, its probably because of part failure or owner neglect. Not to say that the folks here who had issues neglected their cars but tuners are basically building ignition timing and fuel curves and based on some of the failures I've seen or read about over the years those parameters had nothing to do with their combo's breaking.

6) Cleanliness: Pete's place is more organized but Dez Racing with the addition of more staffing is getting their shop in order too.

My advice to the original poster: Visit the shop, talk with the tuner and the person doing the work and do business with the one you feel more comfortable with its that simple.

Good luck.
Michael Plummer

Last edited:

My2003Mach1

Established Member
My opinions been left too many times. It's a very sore subject for me. Way to easy to get wrapped up in it .
All comments and drama removed.

Last edited:

MichaelPlummer

Established Member
My2003Mach1: Not sure why its okay for name calling when I only pointed out facts concerning Steve Leppo's car, why we called around and which shops were doing the machine/engine work for Dez Racing.

I think its great when people can post their experiences good or bad on forums such as this one and others but either shop (Performance Dyno or Dez Racing) are good performance shops with knowledgeable people.

Again, my advice to the original poster: Visit the shop, talk with the tuner and the person doing the work and do business with the one you feel more comfortable with its that simple.

matt87

Established Member
ya there are certain folks on here(no names) that like to bash Dez any chance they can. thats ok...its a public forum and this is america. my current car and my old 01 cobra have both been to Dez and i've been happy every time. my cobra runs great, no popping, bucking or idle issues. Dez did a d1 install for me on my 01 cobra. it was a used kit in a cardboard box. Brian took the time to piece it together and make the piping better. it ran awsome. anyone who has not dealt with Dez on the phone recently has not seen the difference. they have 2 guys up front in their new storefront answering the phone and doing sales. i say go check out both shops and make an unbiased decision.

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
Very sore subject.... Drama removed ....

We all have sore subject matters in our lives. I certainly understand how its hard to let some things go.
I haven't met you yet, I hope to sometime in the future, but your car is posting up some GREAT numbers!!! When I was at Petes, I asked him if he had tuned any cars that ever scared him while on the Dyno and he mentioned only yours. Thats truly impressive and certainly a feather in your cap. :beer:

MichaelPlummer

Established Member
My opinions been left too many times. It's a very sore subject for me. Way to easy to get wrapped up in it .
All comments and drama removed.

Jon,
I agree with Jibber and I understand this is a very sore subject for you and I respect you for taking the high road and removing comments that were probably left in anger. If I see you at an event, I'll be the first to extend my hand and introduce myself and I'm sure we'll have a laugh over this.

Now, I give Jon aka My2003Mach1 credit, maybe all of your comments at Dez Racing made Mike Dez take a hard look at his business and make some changes.
1) Outside of bldg got painted
2) Gravel pit outside of dyno area got paved....finally
3) Clutter: Currently being moved out
4) More staff: Hopefully increased productivity and efficiency
5) Etc.

If Dez Racing is making these changes because of LOUD comments made by My2003Mach1, then My2003Mach1 gets the credit for speaking loud and clear and Dez Racing also gets credit for listening.

With that said, My2003Mach1 speak your mind its a free country, I like it when people voice their opinion just leave out the name calling.

See ya
Michael Plummer

Last edited:

dark_cobra_01

Established Member
Jon,
I agree with Jibber and I understand this is a very sore subject for you and I respect you for taking the high road and removing comments that were probably left in anger. If I see you at an event, I'll be the first to extend my hand and introduce myself and I'm sure we'll have a laugh over this.

Now, I give Jon aka My2003Mach1 credit, maybe all of your comments at Dez Racing made Mike Dez take a hard look at his business and make some changes.
1) Outside of bldg got painted
2) Gravel pit outside of dyno area got paved....finally
3) Clutter: Currently being moved out
4) More staff: Hopefully increased productivity and efficiency
5) Etc.

If Dez Racing is making these changes because of LOUD comments made by My2003Mach1, then he gets the credit for speaking load and clear and Dez Racing also gets credit for listening.

With that said, My2003Mach1 speak your mind, its a free country I like it when people voice their opinion just leave out the name calling.

See ya
Michael Plummer

Mike.. I always have the upmost professional respect for ya even when I'm way over here on the sidelines lately... Good Post.

-Joe DC

My2003Mach1

Established Member
We all have sore subject matters in our lives. I certainly understand how its hard to let some things go.
I haven't met you yet, I hope to sometime in the future, but your car is posting up some GREAT numbers!!! When I was at Petes, I asked him if he had tuned any cars that ever scared him while on the Dyno and he mentioned only yours. Thats truly impressive and certainly a feather in your cap. :beer:

WOW thank you Jibber That is really kind of you to mention. Most people find it hard to give praise where praise is due. It was quite the task putting together the combination of parts... (LOL Pete) Love that guy! :burnout:

Michael you are a stand up type of gentlemen.

Michael we all can learn a lot from you for sure, so thank you for making me take a hard look at myself...

I hope to meet you both some day soon... feel free to PM me anytime.

Cobraluver

Established Member
I would recommend performance-dyno because they did an extremely good job tuning my cobra. With little modifications he can make you have a lot of horsepower and on a safe tune.

Users who are viewing this thread