Detroit Truetrac durability on dragstrip with slicks, clutch dumps, etc

TonyG2

Established Member
I know that a Detroit Locker or a spool would be better, but I would like to be able to turn occasionally. I've read a ton of mixed opinions about the truetrac. It's actually kind of odd: some people beat the hell out of them on the dragstrip with 600rwhp, slicks, clutch dumps, etc, and say the TT is taking everything and asking for more. Other people break them on their first trip to the strip with 400 rwhp and drag radials. Does anyone know if there's something during the set-up/install that affects how durable the unit is?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I haven't read of too many people breaking them. like you say there are big hp guys running them with success. if set up correctly I bet it could take just about anything you can throw at it. I am very happy with mine for both street and strip.

TonyG2

Established Member
if set up correctly I bet it could take just about anything you can throw at it. I am very happy with mine for both street and strip.

Thanks. The "set up correctly" part is the thing I'm most interested in learning. I mean, how does one set these up for drag racing duty?

black-plasma

Established Member
No issues here. I was getting 1.4 60's all last year with IRS and I also open track mine.

mhinchley

Established Member
Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
600whp? How about no issues with plenty of 1k whp reviews I've read! BTW Clutch Dumping is improper on many parts not just differentials. If that's how you drive I hope you have deep pockets.

TonyG2

Established Member
Yeah, they're pretty much clutch dumps or at least very fast slips, you can see how I launch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeQoW0ZvLwk

Slipping the clutch vs dumping it like in the video translates to an extra 0.2s in ET. I have hundreds of passes like this, it's not that hard on parts, especially with the huge sidewalls on my 28" slicks. I know everything will wear out, I just hope that the Truetrac will last at least 150 passes, instead of 20 or 30.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Detroit lockers are not that bad on the street, and will turn just fine as long as you are coasting. If you foot is on the gas it is locked, and will slip the inside tire.

Gears setup for the strip are usually just tighter, less backlash, although as long as they are in spec they will be fine.

TonyG2

Established Member
With the Detroit Locker, it seems like you would have to be very cautious during turns b/c it may unexpectedly lock up. Well, I'm not worried about slow turns on local roads, but it concerns me when I think about highway speeds -like around a slow bend or something where I need to give it a little gas. Add a wet or damp road, and it seems like it could even be dangerous.

If I break the True Trac quickly, I guess I'll have to get a locker or spool and limit street driving

04cobrawhine

Established Member
I run a truetrack with 1000 HP and not an issue. Great driveability, no noise, and just looking at the thing you can tell it's a solid piece. If you still street drive it, I'd go with a truetrack

Users who are viewing this thread