Detroit True Trac users chime in

lilredcoupe

Established Member
I am about to put another set of gears in to try to get rid of the whine. I am adding a girdle this time around and having someone other than Ford do my gears. I was thinking of adding the Detroit True Trac while I had the rear end apart. Mods are in my sig. It currently makes 705/660. The car is an occasional driver and has 305/35/20 NT555r DRs. I take it to the track about 6-8 times a year and I'm thinking of putting some littles and bigs with some larger DRs in the future. I'm curious if the True Trac is a good idea for my setup. What are the downsides? How does the True Trac act on the street compared to the factory traction loc? Also should I do axles or should I be fine with the stock axles as long as I don't put slicks on the car?

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
There are no downsides to the tru trac. Mine makes no noise as a matter of fact my stock diff moaned on turns in parking lots and the tru trac is quiet as a mouse. I would stick a set of moser axles while your there. Also they don't recommend synthetic gear oil for the tru trac.

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
I second that! Love my tru trac, I've ran 9's and make 1000-1200 any given day. I did recently put a set of strange axles in it. But I have had the diff for almost 7 years and I beat on it pretty good. And yea don't run synthetic, I run just plain petroleum base valvoline 75-90W

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I had a TT in my blown 06GT and have one in the Shelby for a few years, stock axles and 775 whp (MD), drives fine.

be sure to run dino oil as mentioned.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Beats the hell of out the Detroit locker I ran several years ago. Never hear a peep out of this thing.

whiplash920

Established Member
love the tru trac, i havent heard a peep out of it and these things are performers for straight line and curves. id upgrade ur axles while ur at it...set of strange is around $260 or so. i would stay away from moser...i went that route first before the strange, horrible experience with a bent flange from the factory, sent it back to be straightened, got it back still bent and had to pay a 15% restocking fee on $400 axles...not awesome. many in my area told me moser is known for bent flanges. go with strange...i love mine.

SilverGTvert

Established Member
i have the 33 spline True Trac in my 8.8. The 33 spline version is considerably stronger than the 31 spline unit. I went with the Moser axle kit that shipped with the ABS rings already installed. Eliminating the c clips with 9" ends is a good idea, as is a girdle to preload the bearing caps.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
i have the 33 spline True Trac in my 8.8. The 33 spline version is considerably stronger than the 31 spline unit. I went with the Moser axle kit that shipped with the ABS rings already installed. Eliminating the c clips with 9" ends is a good idea, as is a girdle to preload the bearing caps.

All correct, I have a 33-spline True Trac and Mosers with ABS rings and 9" ends with stock rear brakes.
If you race the car 6-8x/year and make over 700rwhp; go with 33-splines now for sure.

Also, DRs can actually be harder on drivetrain than slicks as slicks can act as a cushion and don't tire shake like radials.
Good luck.
-J

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
I don't like the play in a Truetrac. I think the play beats on everything too hard on launch. I broke 1 Truetrac and 2 sets of axles before switching it out.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Ben was your TT a 31 or 33? I had two Wavetracs take a crap on me and then went back to a TT after they'd finally made a 33. Darned if it didn't crap out as well. I think for the average person with higher than average power that they're fine. We run one in our 8.95 2011 GT with a ratio in the high 2's and cut consistent 1.20's on it through an auto. But it's also on DRs to it's taking a beating. It's a 33.

In any case, I tossed in the towel and did the same thing you did. 33's but that oughta work.

Later-

bj

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Ben was your TT a 31 or 33? I had two Wavetracs take a crap on me and then went back to a TT after they'd finally made a 33. Darned if it didn't crap out as well. I think for the average person with higher than average power that they're fine. We run one in our 8.95 2011 GT with a ratio in the high 2's and cut consistent 1.20's on it through an auto. But it's also on DRs to it's taking a beating. It's a 33.

In any case, I tossed in the towel and did the same thing you did. 33's but that oughta work.

Later-

bj
Both of mine were 31 spline. If you jack up one of the back wheels and rotate the tire back and forth, the play is a lot. This play shocks the system which is why it breaks.

lilredcoupe

Established Member

Later-

bj

BJ, are you saying that you think I need 33 spline axles for my power level and on DRs? If so what axles do you recommend and do you sell them? What is involved in going to 9" ends? Also, should I go with c-clip eliminators?

Thx

Users who are viewing this thread