detailed my engine today...

spree

Established Member
My car turned 1 a few days ago, so I figured I'd celebrate by giving it a little engine detail...

products used:
303 aerospace degreaser
Wolfgang Vinyl/Rubber Protectant
Clearkote Vanilla Moose

Before (please forgive the foil on the battery, i already had it on there and was too lazy to remove it):
img_0247.jpg

After:
img_0248.jpg

Juiced-03

Established Member
wow, huge difference man. I just did mine the other day too. It's amazing how much better you feel about driving around with a clean engine even though it's not something you see everyday!

Martinrulz

Established Member
Wow looks great spree. So how did you go about it exactly. Did you just spray on that degreaser all over then spray down with the hose?

Htown05

Established Member
Looks really nice. It sure was dusty before. Good work. :beer:

How often do you wash your car? I notice on my black car it gets dusty just in one day. Do you carry around a california car duster and some detail spray?

Last edited:

spree

Established Member
Martinrulz said:
Wow looks great spree. So how did you go about it exactly. Did you just spray on that degreaser all over then spray down with the hose?

Pretty easy...you want to do this when your engine is warm, but not hot...

1) cover up any parts that might get damaged if exposed by water (spark plugs, battery, etc.)
2) spray it down using a hose with a nozzle
3) spray on some engine degreaser and let it sit for a few minutes
4) spray it down again with the hose
5) close the hood and let it dry down a bit
6) pop up the hood again and use rags and some vinyl/rubber protectant to clean up your hoses
7) use a polish/wax to clean up any painted areas inside the engine

Last edited:

trance_in_miami

Established Member
very nice spree. ALso does anyone know the difference between the aerospace, simple green, Megs Extra APC's : :shrug: I have been using SG on my enging and works real well.

Juiced-03

Established Member
trance_in_miami said:
very nice spree. ALso does anyone know the difference between the aerospace, simple green, Megs Extra APC's : :shrug: I have been using SG on my enging and works real well.

Simple Green is not something I like to use on my cars. It can stain! I personally use Greased Lightning Orange Blast, but the other ones you listed will work great too.

maddrabitt

Established Member
I pretty much give the engine bay a once over every time I wash it. Nothing serious, throw some vinyl protectant on, dust everything off with one of my girlfriends old make up brushes and polish up my Accufab throttle body. Spend all of maybe 10-20 minutes and it stays pretty good looking. I always want to cry for some of my other friends mustangs when they pop their hoods and it looks like they just took their car off roading.

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
Have to take 2nd looks at the motor again! Good job

Juiced-03 said:
Simple Green is not something I like to use on my cars. It can stain!
I've notice this too when I spray on diluted SG and rinse off. Leaves a whitish appearance on my intake. But then I just use aluminum wheel cleaner on the valve covers and intake manifold. Works well for me so far.

Quick question. I use CD2 all the time whenever I detail my engine on the 89'. I'll be getting an 03' Cobra soon, anyone ever use CD2 on their snakes before?(I'll properly cover any electrical pieces anyways).

chuckstang

Established Member
How do you all just hose off your engine bay, When I use any pressure at all (hose with a nozzle) water seems to get under the valve covers and recks my spark plugs and even wets my coil packs :( I have the nozzle that you just turn to clockwise I belive to spray the water and I can make it either spray hard in a small area or a larger area...does the "gun" nozzle work better with the trigger?

Htown05

Established Member
trance_in_miami said:
Simple Green has real well. And i can find it locally. Juiced03' can i find that Greased Lightning Orange Blast Locally ?

You can find the orange citris blast at walmart. I use it on my kitchen countertops and my engine. It won't do any damage you might get with SG. If you use simple green make sure you at least mix it with water.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Htown05 said:
You can find the orange citris blast at walmart. I use it on my kitchen countertops and my engine. It won't do any damage you might get with SG. If you use simple green make sure you at least mix it with water.

Yeah I get it there or Lowes. I use the Home version and not the industrial.

Users who are viewing this thread