Detailed both my Cobra and Dads Coyote!

SuperMarioSVT

Kiss of Death
Established Member
So this past week I finally got my Cobra back after a long 8 months at the shop for a much needed suspension overhaul. FTBR bushing kit, strange coil overs, FRPP diff cover brace, MM tubular front control arms, and front and rear bump steer kits. When I got her back she needed some love and attention. Wasn't horribly dirty but had some water spotting and needed a light paint correction. When I first detailed this car 2 years ago I was pretty inexperienced when it came to the paint correction process. I used a basic griots garage polisher that only did a marginal job. The car looked good but was still hazy. At the time I didn't see any swirls so it looked good to me lol. Looking at it now is like looking at it with a new pair of eyes.. lol.

Anyway I cut it with Menzerna 2400 and a Meg's microfiber cutting pad. Cut at about speed 4.5 and then slowed it down to speed 3 to finish the pass. This removed all of the haze and didn't require any polishing after. During the process I discovered that the old girl has tinted clear coat. I've never even worked on a car with tinted clear before.. First time for everything right?

After polishing it all up I started the application process of 22PLE Glass Coat. The instructions say to lay down a section and then wait 3-5 minutes before buffing off the high spots. I waited 3 minutes since the temperature was 90 degrees outside. You can do pretty big sections at a time so that's what I did. It goes on easy and comes off easy. Not much more difficult to apply then Optimum Gloss Coat. The only difference being the amount of wait time before removing the product. I used CarPro's applicator blocks and suede applicator towels to lay down the product.

I like this coating a lot. It gives incredible gloss. The shine is something I've never seen before. When I was done my dad wanted me to do his 2015 5.0. We will get to that next.

Pics after it was all done and coated.
28029180705_b2ab8cbdd6_b.jpg

27994644196_8241bd4866_b.jpg

28029196815_d208cbd391_b.jpg

27994652176_6f945fcc97_b.jpg

27415439323_c1096e0bb4_b.jpg

27415461663_f7b1d327ce_b.jpg

27994663536_85277a11c7_b.jpg

Walk around video and hydrophobic properties:
[video=youtube;kV2v2VBPl3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV2v2VBPl3w[/video]

GT Walk around:
[video=youtube;OBcV7nu6oQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBcV7nu6oQc[/video]

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
Looks great! I may pick up some 22PLE and compare it to the CQuartz UK I just put on my car a few weeks ago. Coatings are amazing! The shine and gloss are much different than your conventional waxes or sealants, so I understand what you mean.

SuperMarioSVT

Kiss of Death
Established Member
Thanks everyone!

Those are beautiful. Was there are delay at the shop for your mods? Sounds a bit long for suspension work.

Coil overs had to be made custom as Strange doesn't make any for IRS applications. Then it snowed so I had my buddy store it there over winter. Then spring time came and he was backed up with work. By the time my parts were ready to go on there was a delay before he could get to it. So yeah. I'm glad it's back and looking good again. On the bright side I don't have any wheel hop and the car rides like a dream. Very planted.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I'd give my left nut for my Rio Red to look as good as your Rio Red.

SuperMarioSVT

Kiss of Death
Established Member
Do you have a better picture of the hood vents on the cobra without the inserts?

I do not. I put it back in shortly after this video. It's very easy to remove. Just push up and lift out. No clips or anything. It just kind of sits in there. I Would leave it out if it was a functional scoop but unfortunately it's not.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great detailing work. Wish I had the time and skillz to do that. My wife does, too! LOL. Your '99 Rio Red Cobra is spectacular.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Great work.
Love that car with those wheels.

Massie02GT

Established Member
Looks great, man. I wish I had the patience and know-how to do that kind of stuff. My car desperately needs that kind of attention. Swirl marks drive me crazy, and my torch red shows every single one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread