Depreciation of 2003/2004 Cobras

Naste50

Established Member
I have been drooling over the Terminator since before it was introduced. I have always wanted one. Anything that can take 900 horsepower without worrying about internals is a masterpiece (hence my addiction to Supras also). As of right now, my old 5.0 GT is nice, but it has grown on me and I think it is time for a change. I realize that I will get hosed when I sell it considering all the money I put into it. (notice I didn't say "invested") It makes me sick but on the other hand, its a lesson in life. I want to buy a Cobra that someone else is gonna take a bath on. I have been watching Cobras on Ebay for a few months now. I plan on making my purchase in June 2005 assuming I can part my car out or at least sell it as a whole by then. I am looking for one with tons of mods already. I have found some '03's w/ 500 bhp for less than $25,000. They also have less than 15,000 miles. Basically, my guidelines are: Under $25,000 miles, and under 20,000 miles. Does anyone think I'll have a snowballs chance in hell I could get one with a different power adder on it (I.E. Kenne Belle, Procharger, Turbo) and still conform to my price and mileage objective? Also take into account that the 2005 Mustangs are gonna be out and in full swing by that time. I am extremely excited and can't wait to own this car. It excites me almost as much as my current Mustang did when I got as a 17 year old. I'm 21 now and in college and I can't wait to park it next to my bro's brand new (1,800 mile) 2001 Black C5 coupe he got for $31,000!

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
Makes me sick as well to see how cheap some people sell their cars... Especially the ones with under 10,000 miles and they take these huge losses on them. I bought mine for $29,000 a year ago with 1,800 miles on it. It now has 11,000 on it. I though that was a good deal at the time.

I dont think you will be able to find a Kb/Procharged cobra for 25k range... If so then I would jump on it. I though these cars would hold their value a lil better considering the 6 speed/blower and only made for 2 years. Also with no cobra in 05, boy was I wrong....

SVT4ME

Established Member
You'll find one but make sure you look it over real good! Tick, transmission clunk etc

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by o3SnakeBite
Makes me sick as well to see how cheap some people sell their cars... Especially the ones with under 10,000 miles and they take these huge losses on them. I bought mine for $29,000 a year ago with 1,800 miles on it. It now has 11,000 on it. I though that was a good deal at the time.

I dont think you will be able to find a Kb/Procharged cobra for 25k range... If so then I would jump on it. I though these cars would hold their value a lil better considering the 6 speed/blower and only made for 2 years. Also with no cobra in 05, boy was I wrong....
So would you have paid, say, $32K for yours a year ago? If the answer is 'no' you just figured out what the real issue is. It surely isn't that people selling their cars cheap. The issue is that the cars have depreciated quite a bit over the past two years for multiple reasons. It is extremely difficult to sell these cars for much over what the market dictates. You can want to sell an '03 for $30K (for example) but if the market says $25-$26K that is probably all you'd get on a sale. Right now it is definitely a buyer's market. Which you found out with that nice $29K buy!
;-)

BenD

Established Member
I see one for sale at Ford dealer on Colo. Spgs

I seen a black coupe for sale at the Ford value store in Colo. Spgs., CO, Sat Nov. 06.

I looked it over briefly and as near as I can tell without going over it in detail, it looks stock. It has 21,000 miles on it, but they are asking too much, about $28,900. I posted some info earlier, but I can't recall the exact price, but that's close. They told me some guy traded it on a new '05 GT along with another car.

That's nothing but BS as far as I'm concerned. They probably bought the dam thing at an Auction.

Goo

New 04s at a dealer here in Chicago (Fox Valley Ford I believe) for under 30K. Considering you lose about 20% out the door - that puts a used 04 at 25-26K and an 03 at 22-23K.

tmf2004

Established Member
Originally posted by Naste50
I have been drooling over the Terminator since before it was introduced. I have always wanted one. Anything that can take 900 horsepower without worrying about internals is a masterpiece (hence my addiction to Supras also). As of right now, my old 5.0 GT is nice, but it has grown on me and I think it is time for a change. I realize that I will get hosed when I sell it considering all the money I put into it. (notice I didn't say "invested") It makes me sick but on the other hand, its a lesson in life. I want to buy a Cobra that someone else is gonna take a bath on. I have been watching Cobras on Ebay for a few months now. I plan on making my purchase in June 2005 assuming I can part my car out or at least sell it as a whole by then. I am looking for one with tons of mods already. I have found some '03's w/ 500 bhp for less than $25,000. They also have less than 15,000 miles. Basically, my guidelines are: Under $25,000 miles, and under 20,000 miles. Does anyone think I'll have a snowballs chance in hell I could get one with a different power adder on it (I.E. Kenne Belle, Procharger, Turbo) and still conform to my price and mileage objective? Also take into account that the 2005 Mustangs are gonna be out and in full swing by that time. I am extremely excited and can't wait to own this car. It excites me almost as much as my current Mustang did when I got as a 17 year old. I'm 21 now and in college and I can't wait to park it next to my bro's brand new (1,800 mile) 2001 Black C5 coupe he got for $31,000!

Naste50 I'm in the same boat you r. i've had my 95 gt now for 6 years and have wanted a cobra for the past 3 to 4 years. I want to spend about 24 to 25 also but if you can get a 2004 for a grand more than do that. At least its a year newer. I can't beleive its been two years already on the 03. I watch ebay to and have found some for the price you did. But i wont be ready for a few months. I think 24 is a great price considering what you get for the money. You have a reliable mustang that will last and blow the doors off of almost anything. I just don't think I'll buy new considering the hit you take on a new car. We'll see. Good luck...tmf

Users who are viewing this thread