Dependable dealer service in Houston Area - Dreaded 1-2 shift grind!

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
I think we need to sticky a thread with all the 11-12 shifting problems. Ford needs to take a look at what is going on, and fix the problem. I had the entire transmission replaced. It still grinds locks me out. My dealer tried to fix it. Ford needs to take a sampling of our cars that don't shift properly and reengineer them, not the dealer. They did this in '99 with the Cobras. Maybe a class action lawsuit?
It's not just the 11-12 I have a 10' that has the same issue. Anything over about 5000 rpm it locks me out just from 1st to 2nd.
I’m happy to get this escalated for you guys if needed. Make appointments with your dealers and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

charged87

Established Member
I just got my trans replaced at my local Ford dealer. I contacted Deysha and gave her my info and Vin and where I took my car to . I'm not sure if she helped my cause because I never heard the dealer mention her but they replaced my trans with a complete new one not a reman. It also helped a good friend of mine was the trans tech there... but it was horrible I couldn't even bring it past 2500 rpm without hearing and feeling that awful grinding!!! The dealer was about a 45 minute ride from me but worth it in the end.... from what I learned if it's grinding now it's to late for changing the oil to amsoil or the shifter... ask me how I know it did nothing to solve the problem. .. find a dealer who knows about the problem and don't let them tell you tuff it's how it is... it's under factory power train warranty so they have to honor it... good luck.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I just got my trans replaced at my local Ford dealer. I contacted Deysha and gave her my info and Vin and where I took my car to . I'm not sure if she helped my cause because I never heard the dealer mention her but they replaced my trans with a complete new one not a reman. It also helped a good friend of mine was the trans tech there... but it was horrible I couldn't even bring it past 2500 rpm without hearing and feeling that awful grinding!!! The dealer was about a 45 minute ride from me but worth it in the end.... from what I learned if it's grinding now it's to late for changing the oil to amsoil or the shifter... ask me how I know it did nothing to solve the problem. .. find a dealer who knows about the problem and don't let them tell you tuff it's how it is... it's under factory power train warranty so they have to honor it... good luck.

so is it fixed or still doint it? Mine got a new transmission 3 months ago. I paid for the new clutch. Still does it.

charged87

Established Member
so is it fixed or still doint got a new transmission 3 months ago. I or the new clutch. Still does it.

I only drove it home from the dealer so far it's like new... i brought it to 4500 rpm with no issues or grinding. . It only did it before going into 2nd. The tech did mention to change the shifter before i start shifting quicker with it.

FordService

Established Member
Thanks for the offer. I will definitely be in contact, PM sent.
You’re very welcome, finally03gt! I sent you a message yesterday.

This is great, charged87! Thank you for the update!

Deysha

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Here’s the last message I sent you back on 3/26/14 (the day I came back from vacation), Doc Vegas:

I never received a response to it. My apologies...

Deysha

Wow, I just saw this... I thought for sure I replied with the VIN number, as I then proceeded to the local Ford dealer in Tucson. I also called the Ford dealer in Oracle after the Tucson dealer told me there was no information on this issue in the Ford database. Could you confirm for us that Ford does not recognize this as an issue for the GT500? This is exactly what I was told by THREE Ford dealers at this point. If you are still willing to "escalate" this matter, that would be great, but until Ford actually agrees there is an issue, it seems like the dealers are not willing to do anything....

FordService

Established Member
Wow, I just saw this... I thought for sure I replied with the VIN number, as I then proceeded to the local Ford dealer in Tucson. I also called the Ford dealer in Oracle after the Tucson dealer told me there was no information on this issue in the Ford database. Could you confirm for us that Ford does not recognize this as an issue for the GT500? This is exactly what I was told by THREE Ford dealers at this point. If you are still willing to "escalate" this matter, that would be great, but until Ford actually agrees there is an issue, it seems like the dealers are not willing to do anything....
Hey Doc Vegas,

There are no recalls on any 2011-2014 Mustangs at this time and I don’t have a list of TSBs for them. When vehicles are brought in to Ford Dealers for diagnosis is when we are notified of any concerns. This is why it’s always important they are brought in and fully diagnosed. The dealer then looks up any TSBs, SSMs, etc. that may apply to your vehicle and the concern you’re experiencing.

Escalating the concerns helps the CSM work together with you and your dealer on a resolution for the issue at hand. I’m happy to get this escalated for you if you’d like. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Hey Doc Vegas,

There are no recalls on any 2011-2014 Mustangs at this time and I don’t have a list of TSBs for them. When vehicles are brought in to Ford Dealers for diagnosis is when we are notified of any concerns. This is why it’s always important they are brought in and fully diagnosed. The dealer then looks up any TSBs, SSMs, etc. that may apply to your vehicle and the concern you’re experiencing.

Escalating the concerns helps the CSM work together with you and your dealer on a resolution for the issue at hand. I’m happy to get this escalated for you if you’d like. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

Deysha in my situation my local dealer has already replaced the transmission under warranty. I'd like an out of the box thought process. I'd like for them to install the 13/14 stock shifter into my '12. This is not something the dealer is going to do, as they wouldn't be paid by warranty.....unless Ford admits there is an issue with the cars, which it seems they haven't. It wouldn't be a recall as it isn't a safety issue. It's more of a WTF was Ford thinking issue. You can look at my sig and see I buy a lot of Ford's. What you're not seeing is my blind loyalty to the brand since 1985. I even bought new a 1998 Mustang GT automatic. I know, what a turd. But to me it offered a better build quality than GM at the time. I also bought new since then 1999 SVT Contour, 2001 Mustang GT, 2002 Escape, 2004 Mustang Cobra, and 2006 Mountaineer. My current recent new purchases are 2011 Taurus SHO, and 2013 Explorer Sport. I would think I'm a client you'd want to keep? I want and expect this to go beyond a dealer level problem. I want an engineer assigned to my case. I have no intents to bring my car to the dealer so it can sit for another 2-3 weeks, and leave with the same issue. I'd like my car picked up, shipped to dearborn and send it back when the problem is no longer present. If it takes 2 months, I don't care. At this point it just sits in the garage under the cover. I'd rather drive my 8 year old GTO with a 107K miles.

I'm pming you my information.

FordService

Established Member
Deysha in my situation my local dealer has already replaced the transmission under warranty. ... I want an engineer assigned to my case. I have no intents to bring my car to the dealer so it can sit for another 2-3 weeks, and leave with the same issue. I'd like my car picked up, shipped to dearborn and send it back when the problem is no longer present. If it takes 2 months, I don't care. At this point it just sits in the garage under the cover. I'd rather drive my 8 year old GTO with a 107K miles.

I'm pming you my information.
I don’t think it’s going to go like that, but I’ll escalate it for you, black99lighnin.

Deysha

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Deysha, what he's asking for makes complete sense from an engineering perspective. While there were some other significant issues addressed with the introduction of the 2013 GT500 over its predecessors, one of the most notable changes was to slow down the speed at which the handle is shifted via a slight geometry change. Physically, the '13/'14 shifter that black99lightnin is requesting would be a 100% bolt-on in all respects and has nothing to do with the PCM or any other electronic interface. It would reuse 100% of the factory Ford hardware already on his car. I know Ford has to be careful about setting precedent and I can respect that, but if this were elevated to an engineer that was very knowledgeable on the matter, I don't believe he would disagree. If he/she did it would be due to policy.

If it helps, here's Ford SVT Chief Engineer Jamal Hameedi speaking directly about the issue and the fix...

http://youtu.be/X86dnnBGFkQ?t=3m6s

And here's SVT Senior Engineer John Pfeiffer doing the same...

http://youtu.be/Ii4lQOB-SMY?t=1m32s

It really would be nice to see Ford go the extra mile here, even if policy normally precludes it.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I don’t think it’s going to go like that, but I’ll escalate it for you, black99lighnin.

Deysha

here's what I'd like for you to pass on.
Bought new:
1FAFP48Y04F182007 2004 cobra $35K
1ZVHT88S495139608 2009 GT500 $44K
1FAHP2KT9BG133051 2011 Taurus SHO $44K
1FM5K8GT3DGC43292 2013 Explorer Sport $47K

I know that the '12 GT500 was a used purchase, but it does fall under factory warranty. I'd like to hear from someone regarding my issues, other than my dealer as they're only allowed to repair per Ford guidelines. The question becomes is my business worth Ford taking a serious look at this known problem?

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Deysha, what he's asking for makes complete sense from an engineering perspective. While there were some other significant issues addressed with the introduction of the 2013 GT500 over its predecessors, one of the most notable changes was to slow down the speed at which the handle is shifted via a slight geometry change. Physically, the '13/'14 shifter that black99lightnin is requesting would be a 100% bolt-on in all respects and has nothing to do with the PCM or any other electronic interface. It would reuse 100% of the factory Ford hardware already on his car. I know Ford has to be careful about setting precedent and I can respect that, but if this were elevated to an engineer that was very knowledgeable on the matter, I don't believe he would disagree. If he/she did it would be due to policy.

If it helps, here's Ford SVT Chief Engineer Jamal Hameedi speaking directly about the issue and the fix...

It really would be nice to see Ford go the extra mile here, even if policy normally precludes it.

Tob thanks again for your insight.

FordService

Established Member

here's what I'd like for you to pass on.
Bought new:
2004 cobra $35K
2009 GT500 $44K
2011 Taurus SHO $44K
2013 Explorer Sport $47K

I know that the '12 GT500 was a used purchase, but it does fall under factory warranty. I'd like to hear from someone regarding my issues, other than my dealer as they're only allowed to repair per Ford guidelines. The question becomes is my business worth Ford taking a serious look at this known problem?
I understand where you are both coming from. However, there are steps to every situation. An escalation is the door to many different outcomes depending on each individual concern/situation. As I stated before, I am happy to get this escalated for you, black99lightnin. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I understand where you are both coming from. However, there are steps to every situation. An escalation is the door to many different outcomes depending on each individual concern/situation. As I stated before, I am happy to get this escalated for you, black99lightnin. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

I pm'ed you earlier.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Watching Hameedi talk about the improvements for the 13/14, I don't think it is out of the realm to ask for the updated clutch, master cylinder, and shifter. Clearly he acknowledges the shifting issue prevalent in the 11/12 cars.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Hey Doc Vegas,

Deysha

PM Sent! I forgot to add miles, they are just over 20k.

Users who are viewing this thread