Dependable dealer service in Houston Area - Dreaded 1-2 shift grind!

finally03gt

Established Member
I've read MANY threads on the dreaded 1-2 shift. My car will grind horribly if shifted above about 5000-5500 and about 1/3 of those times, not let me in 2nd (although that could be me giving up at the nauseating sound of grind). I really considered the AMSOIL, shifter, WOT approach, but bottom line.... it's under power train, its a well known issue, I've read that there are some newer components (a shift fork and maybe some different syncros?), and lastly. It's not a slight grind or a notchiness, but a full on "that ain't right at all" grind. I just bought the car a week (drive time) ago and about 1K miles, so I have NO idea on the history.

So, I've come to the conclusion that it needs to go to Ford. Question is, do any of you guys have personal experience in the Houston area. Gullo in Conroe is the closest to me. I work offshore 4 weeks at a time, so being with out the car shouldn't be a problem.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I've read MANY threads on the dreaded 1-2 shift. My car will grind horribly if shifted above about 5000-5500 and about 1/3 of those times, not let me in 2nd (although that could be me giving up at the nauseating sound of grind). I really considered the AMSOIL, shifter, WOT approach, but bottom line.... it's under power train, its a well known issue, I've read that there are some newer components (a shift fork and maybe some different syncros?), and lastly. It's not a slight grind or a notchiness, but a full on "that ain't right at all" grind. I just bought the car a week (drive time) ago and about 1K miles, so I have NO idea on the history.

So, I've come to the conclusion that it needs to go to Ford. Question is, do any of you guys have personal experience in the Houston area. Gullo in Conroe is the closest to me. I work offshore 4 weeks at a time, so being with out the car shouldn't be a problem.

I'd contact Deysha (if I got that right) she's a ford customer rep and I'm sure can actually inform the dealership of what NEEDS to be replaced, rather than them just messing with your transmission.

800.392.FORD

Last edited:

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
I've had AWESOME customer service from McRee Ford in Dickinson. Good service dept. They did my clutch TSB on my '09.

jbice03

Established Member
Gullo would be one of the better dealers to take it to in my opinion. I have the same issue with my 10' and have changed the fluid and the shifter with no change but I hear the WOT box clears it up so that will be next on my list along with the RXT McLeod.

finally03gt

Established Member
I'd contact Deysha (if I got that right) she's a ford customer rep and I'm sure can actually inform the dealership of what NEEDS to be replaced, rather than them just messing with your transmission.

800.392.FORD

I will try to contact Deysha, everyone speaks of so frequent on this type of thread, thanks for the tip. Also saw a Ford rep Sarah chime in on one article. Thanks.

Gullo would be one of the better dealers to take it to in my opinion. I have the same issue with my 10' and have changed the fluid and the shifter with no change but I hear the WOT box clears it up so that will be next on my list along with the RXT McLeod.

Gullo is just 3-4 miles from me, so that's great. Any particular person you felt was especially helpful at Gullo?

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Can't help you with Houston, but Deysha did not help me at all. I asked her to escalate my issue and got no response. I went to the local dealers here in Tucson and they told me "too bad, that's how they all are." Not sure what my next step is, but Ford was 100% useless for me. I hope you have better luck in Texas. I would consider a road trip if you have success! Keep us posted.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Can't help you with Houston, but Deysha did not help me at all. I asked her to escalate my issue and got no response. I went to the local dealers here in Tucson and they told me "too bad, that's how they all are." Not sure what my next step is, but Ford was 100% useless for me. I hope you have better luck in Texas. I would consider a road trip if you have success! Keep us posted.

Wouldn't hurt to make a post about that, on allfordmustangs it would cause quite a stir, considering she is supposed to be the rep for all us Mustang owners with issues, I'm sure then she would take notice, you have to use the power of social-media to your advantage to get things moving. Ford already is getting bad rep, I am sure they don't want more.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Wouldn't hurt to make a post about that, on allfordmustangs it would cause quite a stir, considering she is supposed to be the rep for all us Mustang owners with issues, I'm sure then she would take notice, you have to use the power of social-media to your advantage to get things moving. Ford already is getting bad rep, I am sure they don't want more.

I guess I could do that.... I PM'd her back in March/April when I was about to sell my GT500 because I hated the tranny issue. Decided to try the MGW and Amsoil. I guess it is better, but definitely still feels lousy in the 1-2 shift.... I'll think about it... might just get a Stingray with paddle shifting and give up on Ford.

Last edited:

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I guess I could do that.... I PM'd her back in March/April when I was about to sell my GT500 because I hated the tranny issue. Decided to try the MGW and Amsoil. I guess it is better, but definitely still feels lousy in the 1-2 shift.... I'll think about it... might just get a Stingray with paddle shifting and give up on Ford.

That long ago? Good lord, how many times did you try to reach her? I was trying to look up the # of the customer rep that posted on this forum whose name was Sarah, but I can't find it at all. She posted her contact # and what not and it was under some clutch slipping thread a week or so ago.

If you can afford a Stingray, obv go for it, 0-60 3.8 seconds, automatic, so even 2013+ 662HP GT-500s unless they shift damn well you'd whoop them, N\A motor, beautiful interior and exterior. I daily drive my GT-500 so the Vett is too small for me....but you know what they say.....

"The Vett gets them wet" :banana:
[video=youtube;csLgaK20SSY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csLgaK20SSY[/video]

Doc Vegas

Established Member
The fact is, Ford does not even admit there IS an issue! I was at the dealership as he probed the computer and could find nothing in the Ford database that this shifting issue exists. So, assuming you are right that Deysha and Sarah are willing to help out, a basic first step would be to get something into the computer records that help dealerships diagnose and FIX the problem.

When I told my dealer that there were numerous threads on the internet about this, he told me it was entirely irrelevant and that the internet can say anything.... I told him about my PM to Deysha and he looked into the records and still could not find anything, even a log of a complaint about the shifting problem.

Good luck with Ford, if they still after years of this issue and surely thousands of complaints, refuses to even acknowledge the issue exists - it will always be tricky to get the local dealer to "fix" it.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member

Hello finally03gt,

Welcome to the forum. I will first need you to bring your vehicle in to your Ford Dealer and have them fully diagnose it. Be sure to speak with your service manager as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know the outcome.

800.392.FORD
Thank you for the mention, ShiftyThePirate!

Here’s the last message I sent you back on 3/26/14 (the day I came back from vacation), Doc Vegas:
I can get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area, and they can work with you and your dealer to get this resolved, XXXXX. If you’d like for me to do so, please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

I never received a response to it. My apologies...

Deysha

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I think we need to sticky a thread with all the 11-12 shifting problems. Ford needs to take a look at what is going on, and fix the problem. I had the entire transmission replaced. It still grinds locks me out. My dealer tried to fix it. Ford needs to take a sampling of our cars that don't shift properly and reengineer them, not the dealer. They did this in '99 with the Cobras. Maybe a class action lawsuit?

jbice03

Established Member
It's not just the 11-12 I have a 10' that has the same issue. Anything over about 5000 rpm it locks me out just from 1st to 2nd.

ponyboy96

Established Member
Mine would occasionally do the 1-2 grind. I changed the clutch cable and problem solved. Also make sure you are pushing the clutch all the way to the floor.

finally03gt

Established Member
I've seen several comments about driving style and such. I do not claim to be any kind of pro, but logic would dictate that a person having problems with 1-2 due to driving style would likely have similar issues on 2-3, or downshifts. From all the threads and comments, I think its safe to say that the T6060 1-2 issue is a trans issue not driver or clutch or shifter. I know many ppl are changing this factors to help alleviate the problem. But seems to me, just diagnostic process of elimination, its a 1-2 issue IN the trans. Just my $.02

SLO-SVT

Established Member
Avoid Planet Ford.....my car is there now and I'm getting nowhere with it. 2 weeks that it was in the service dept. I got one phone call back about my car and that was after I complained to Ford cust. service line.

finally03gt

Established Member
Avoid Planet Ford.....my car is there now and I'm getting nowhere with it. 2 weeks that it was in the service dept. I got one phone call back about my car and that was after I complained to Ford cust. service line.

Good to know, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread