Demon Pricing

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That says something considering I usually hear every Viper review say something about how Vipers are "raw" and "want to kill you". Also usually have something about their tendency to fishtail? Never drove a Viper. So I cannot give my experience there.

Not near as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Zemedici

Established Member
That says something considering I usually hear every Viper review say something about how Vipers are "raw" and "want to kill you". Also usually have something about their tendency to fishtail? Never drove a Viper. So I cannot give my experience there.

Hands down the markup is going to be ridiculous. Just as another person stated earlier, dreams of owning and reality are going to send alot of these back to the dealership. I hate to say it, but I wonder how expensive these will be on salvage auction sites when someone wrecks a few? I'm banking $20k to $40k easy considering last I saw a GT350 go for $30k.

@13COBRA can tell you about the viper, but its handling characteristics are vastly different (and improved) over that of a charger / challenger.

There is markup on any new vehicle. Its the name of the game. Think of it this way, if you were a business, and you could sell your product for 15% more than you are selling it for now, why wouldnt you?

Its confusing to me that people berate the auto industry for ADMs, when its clearly an aspect of every business. Its basic supply and demand...econ 101....

It's not hard to make big power or put it down. If it made 840HP AND made a great lap time at say Road of America or another road track THEN I'd be impressed. I'd easily rather spend money on a GT350. I find it a much more well-balanced car. I also don't have to take it to have a roll cage put in it to do what its intended for. I can buy it.. and use it.

If you want the overdeveloped motor AND an overdeveloped suspension, but are wanting it to be sub 100k? So where do you expect all the money for R&D to come from....if not from the price of the car? The manufacturer should solely eat all those costs?

And to me, having driven countless GT350s and an R, the cars just dont do it for me. Different strokes different folks.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Its confusing to me that people berate the auto industry for ADMs, when its clearly an aspect of every business. Its basic supply and demand...econ 101....

And its not the big 3 doing it, its the dealerships which are independent franchises and not part of the manufacturer.

I hate how ADMs get added into spec comparisons. Once a new car comes out, the ADM drops on the last need to have car and ADM is really just an idiot tax more than anything.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
It's not hard to make big power or put it down. If it made 840HP AND made a great lap time at say Road of America or another road track THEN I'd be impressed. I'd easily rather spend money on a GT350. I find it a much more well-balanced car. I also don't have to take it to have a roll cage put in it to do what its intended for. I can buy it.. and use it.

Never driven a stock GT500 I can see. lol

And not to start another mini war in here, but balanced all around car is the ZL1. Straight line power and can handle just as well.

281CJ

Established Member
If you want the overdeveloped motor AND an overdeveloped suspension, but are wanting it to be sub 100k? So where do you expect all the money for R&D to come from....if not from the price of the car? The manufacturer should solely eat all those costs?

And to me, having driven countless GT350s and an R, the cars just dont do it for me. Different strokes different folks.

I never said it had to be under 100K. I'd be happier with a car selling for 80K that runs faster than a Vetter in both 1/4 mile and a road course. than i'd be more interested.

For all the hype when you boil it down all I see is "Hyped up Hellcat with 20K premium to slap on a better blower and suspension" I'd have enjoyed it more if they made a car that was a corner carver equivalent of the Hellcat.

Necrotizing

Established Member
There is markup on any new vehicle. Its the name of the game. Think of it this way, if you were a business, and you could sell your product for 15% more than you are selling it for now, why wouldnt you?

I would not say that I was "berating" them. I'm stating that I'm betting the markup is going to be ridiculous. I understand markup. But the markup you see on certain cars is astonishing. A car they make extremely limited quantities of I can understand a large markup of $20k+ over MSRP. Which MSRP already gives them some cushion. A car that has thousands of them made? That is where I do not understand. Such is capitalism though. Supply and demand. I only wonder how the value of these vehicles will hold on the used market? Will we end up seeing many of them returned because people do not want to cough up the money for maintenance or the nature of the beast? Rather will many of them sit in garages and be meticulously maintained? I'm curious to see

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
And its not the big 3 doing it, its the dealerships which are independent franchises and not part of the manufacturer.

I hate how ADMs get added into spec comparisons. Once a new car comes out, the ADM drops on the last need to have car and ADM is really just an idiot tax more than anything.

I don't think so.

Margins have dropped significantly in the last 15 years. The manufacturers set MSRP to compete in the market, even if it means less of a difference between invoice and MSRP. Dealerships are FORCED to upgrade their facilities by the manufacturers, then they are given product to sell at less of a margin than they had in the past.

If the market will support an ADM, dealers have every right to charge it in my eyes.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't think so.

Margins have dropped significantly in the last 15 years. The manufacturers set MSRP to compete in the market, even if it means less of a difference between invoice and MSRP. Dealerships are FORCED to upgrade their facilities by the manufacturers, then they are given product to sell at less of a margin than they had in the past.

If the market will support an ADM, dealers have every right to charge it in my eyes.

I didn't say dealers couldn't, I just said the big 3 don't charge it. And using ADMs isn't a fair comparison when talking specs either.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I didn't say dealers couldn't, I just said the big 3 don't charge it. And using ADMs isn't a fair comparison when talking specs either.

The Big 3 more or less pushes dealers to.

Lincoln is one of the worst selling new vehicle brands in the country, and they forced dealers to renovate their facilities a couple years ago for a tune of over $2mil.... good luck recouping that.

The small margins force dealers to make their money from the consumer on vehicles that the market allows. I sell 100 Fiestas making $12 a car, to every specialty car/truck I sell making $4k.

Black2010

Established Member

I can tell you one thing is that the mustang is harder to drive fast than my Viper. I absolutely hate the media hype of Viper's being out to kill you. They are super easy to drive and hook like you wouldn't believe. It's people being stupid that get in trouble. Basically just don't floor it going around a curve and you are fine (just like any other performance car).

Demon looks awesome but for the price I think I'd actually rather go with a HC but I'm also not a drag racer so this car is really not marketed towards me.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can tell you one thing is that the mustang is harder to drive fast than my Viper. I absolutely hate the media hype of Viper's being out to kill you. They are super easy to drive and hook like you wouldn't believe. It's people being stupid that get in trouble. Basically just don't floor it going around a curve and you are fine (just like any other performance car).

100% agree. My Viper is confidence inspiring if anything.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think I just put 2 and 2 together. You're on the VOA forum now too, right? I'm 98RedGTS over there.

Yes sir! I'm not as smart as the guys, like yourself, that use multiple screen names; I'd forget them overnight and never be able to log in. I've always used 13COBRA. I started getting active in the forums when I had my 2013 GT500.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
A sub-10 second factory car, with 840 hp and 770 tq and you don't see the hype? Guess you're not much of a car enthusiast.

Neither do I. When you have to wear DR to get a little traction the car itself becomes unusable. Fast drag cars are cool but full cages and parachute brakes are not.

I'd much rather have a lighter weight car that can turn along with running low 11 sec at mid 120.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I never said it had to be under 100K. I'd be happier with a car selling for 80K that runs faster than a Vetter in both 1/4 mile and a road course. than i'd be more interested.

For all the hype when you boil it down all I see is "Hyped up Hellcat with 20K premium to slap on a better blower and suspension" I'd have enjoyed it more if they made a car that was a corner carver equivalent of the Hellcat.

*With a warranty. That's the point. You can buy anything and mod it to make it fast, but when shit breaks it's your problem.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
The turbo definitely uses less than any positive displacement blower out there. It doesn't have near the parasitic power requirements.

positive displacement roots "blowers?" Sure, these are not compressors anyway so that's apples to oranges.

lsyholm (twin screw) compressors vs turbo the parasitic loss advantage isn't nearly as apparent.

centrifugal vs turbo on the same engine with equivalent boost the turbo will take the same are more drive hp via exhaust backpressure. There is simply no getting around the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics

Zemedici

Established Member
no, no and no.... the fuel economy benefit comes from less static displacement which sips fuel at light/zero load situations. Under load or at peak power a turbo motor will guzzle gas far worst than a NA and similar (if not worst) to a supercharged motor.

I could write a book on this but turbos are not magical free energy devices. The drive exhaust pressure through the turbine consumes hp similar to how a belt robs power from the flywheel.

Just for kicks look at some testing of turbos vs centrifugal supercharger at equivalent boost. Pay attention to the BSFC and the power curves.

excellent post, man. +65000 to this

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
meanwhile when a demon breaks you merely DRIVE it into dodge, and toss the writer the keys and go 'call me when its fixed'

I don't think thats how its going to work. Pretty sure your going to need a tow truck.

Users who are viewing this thread