Demon Pricing

earl lee

Established Member
I just care about more than just going in a line.

Nothing wrong with that, which is why Shelby 350's, vipers, vettes, 911's a ton of cars that can do the road track stuff exists. This car exist for the the 1/4 mile guy.

HandBanana

Established Member
that kind of performance for under 100k with a car that you can just take to the drag strip and run consistent 9s is a performance bargain. I don't care for the Challenger but it is an impressive feat in this day and age of snowflakes who are trying to take our badass cars away and replace them with Priuses.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
that kind of performance for under 100k with a car that you can just take to the drag strip and run consistent 9s is a performance bargain. I don't care for the Challenger but it is an impressive feat in this day and age of snowflakes who are trying to take our badass cars away and replace them with Priuses.

I'm not sure you can buy it for under $100k.

And I'm not sure you can run consistent 9's.

HandBanana

Established Member
I'm not sure you can buy it for under $100k.

And I'm not sure you can run consistent 9's.

I meant more of the MSRP being under 100k. Of course they'll be marked up. If you can't cut a 9.99 out of that thing, you should be hit on the head with a tack hammer.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
any muscle car these days is a 10 second car with the addition of a blower. nothn really exciting there. yea its stock and aint no other stock car doing that

but yea I guess its pretty kool no doubt. wud rather see a muscle car war start with the manufactures then more boring luxury sedans I guess.

The Turbo will get far better gas mileage as a power adder tho. Ford has already figured that out.

A sub-10 second factory car, with 840 hp and 770 tq and you don't see the hype? Guess you're not much of a car enthusiast.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
The Turbo will get far better gas mileage as a power adder tho. Ford has already figured that out.

no, no and no.... the fuel economy benefit comes from less static displacement which sips fuel at light/zero load situations. Under load or at peak power a turbo motor will guzzle gas far worst than a NA and similar (if not worst) to a supercharged motor.

I could write a book on this but turbos are not magical free energy devices. The drive exhaust pressure through the turbine consumes hp similar to how a belt robs power from the flywheel.

Just for kicks look at some testing of turbos vs centrifugal supercharger at equivalent boost. Pay attention to the BSFC and the power curves.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I expected the price to be a bit higher then 86K. I am sure there will be a hell of a mark up anywhere you go.

FortLewisCobra

Established Member

_Snake_

Established Member

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Considering it's priced the almost the same as a cobra jet but isn't as fast and will get booted off the track I kinda have to shrug at it too.

You would be better off buying an actual drag car:

http://fordauthority.com/2015/12/a-2016-ford-mustang-cobra-jet-is-already-on-ebay/

I second this. I feel like the Demon is a bit of a mismatch between it's intent and it's equipment. Most cars, like the COPO and the CobraJet are actually sold as drag cars. The Demon is a street drag car that isn't exactly equipped to be anything but what it is now. You'd still have to work it over to be on the level of Ford or Chevys product.

Zemedici

Established Member

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Considering it's priced the almost the same as a cobra jet but isn't as fast and will get booted off the track I kinda have to shrug at it too.

You would be better off buying an actual drag car:

http://fordauthority.com/2015/12/a-2016-ford-mustang-cobra-jet-is-already-on-ebay/

As already mentioned, good luck driving that on the street.

So, now you're comparing street legal vehicles to non-street legal. I see how this is going to be.

Next you'll say you can build a faster fox body for less than half the Demon cost. Am I right?

281CJ

Established Member
So don't buy one then. No other American production car has produced these numbers. Just because you don't want one doesn't mean it's not impressive. Time to take off the blinders.
It's not hard to make big power or put it down. If it made 840HP AND made a great lap time at say Road of America or another road track THEN I'd be impressed. I'd easily rather spend money on a GT350. I find it a much more well-balanced car. I also don't have to take it to have a roll cage put in it to do what its intended for. I can buy it.. and use it.

281CJ

Established Member
As already mentioned, good luck driving that on the street.

So, now you're comparing street legal vehicles to non-street legal. I see how this is going to be.

Next you'll say you can build a faster fox body for less than half the Demon cost. Am I right?
Not like you are going to try and run 9's on the streets, unless you're an idiot, and you can't run at the track unless you get a rollcage.

You can't legally use the Demon at anything it's intended for anyplace unless you modify it.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
no, no and no.... the fuel economy benefit comes from less static displacement which sips fuel at light/zero load situations. Under load or at peak power a turbo motor will guzzle gas far worst than a NA and similar (if not worst) to a supercharged motor.

I could write a book on this but turbos are not magical free energy devices. The drive exhaust pressure through the turbine consumes hp similar to how a belt robs power from the flywheel.

Just for kicks look at some testing of turbos vs centrifugal supercharger at equivalent boost. Pay attention to the BSFC and the power curves.

The turbo definitely uses less than any positive displacement blower out there. It doesn't have near the parasitic power requirements.

Necrotizing

Established Member
Amen. And save for vipers, dodge vehicles have never exactly been 'corner carvers'

That says something considering I usually hear every Viper review say something about how Vipers are "raw" and "want to kill you". Also usually have something about their tendency to fishtail? Never drove a Viper. So I cannot give my experience there.

Hands down the markup is going to be ridiculous. Just as another person stated earlier, dreams of owning and reality are going to send alot of these back to the dealership. I hate to say it, but I wonder how expensive these will be on salvage auction sites when someone wrecks a few? I'm banking $20k to $40k easy considering last I saw a GT350 go for $30k.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It's not hard to make big power or put it down. If it made 840HP AND made a great lap time at say Road of America or another road track THEN I'd be impressed. I'd easily rather spend money on a GT350. I find it a much more well-balanced car. I also don't have to take it to have a roll cage put in it to do what its intended for. I can buy it.. and use it.

Okay. How many street cars make enough big power, and run fast enough lap times to impress you?

You need a cage if you are even remotely serious about it. Outside of an HPDE-type event, once you start getting into a competitive class you have to have a cage.

Users who are viewing this thread