Demise of the Marauder

Bracketbomber

Established Member
Read an interesting article at work today. It states that as of June, 2004 no more orders for the Marauder. They say that the car will no longer be built. Better store em now cause they may be worth something in the future.:burnout:

SnakeSkinner

Established Member
The vehicle is a disgrace, it is advertised as a performance vehicle yet it accelerates like an SUV and handles like a Lincoln Continental. Only good thing you can say is that it didn't bomb as big as the recently deceased T-Bird.

PonyPower

Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeSkinner
The vehicle is a disgrace, it is advertised as a performance vehicle yet it accelerates like an SUV and handles like a Lincoln Continental. Only good thing you can say is that it didn't bomb as big as the recently deceased T-Bird.

how many other car companies are making big V8 sedans, not one. it may not be the best car to build to make profits with, but you cant say its not cool. Ever hear one start up? If i had the money i would get one.

Bracketbomber

Established Member
deceased T-Bird

Thats funny, because when I left the plant today I could have sworn that I was building T-Birds along with the Town Cars and LS's, but , maybe it was just my imagination that helped to wear me out.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
The vehicle is a disgrace, it is advertised as a performance vehicle yet it accelerates like an SUV and handles like a Lincoln Continental.
If you need speed that bad, stick with a Mustang. Some guys like a little luxury (with a little pep)

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member

I'm glad you think that. When I'm done I bet your Yo well not know what hit it.:burnout: :burnout:

Silverstrike

Established Member
Now it accelerates just fine. try around upper 6 seconds for a properly broken in one. and high 14's low 15's on average. Corners like a Continental. You have never driven a Marauder it does a .86 on a 200 ft skid pad the Z350 does a .88 now the Conti 2001 is around .75??????? still want to stand by that Continental claim. I have been able to follow my dad in the Lightning and he has Traction bars and one leaf spring removed in back and Eibach 1 1/2 inch lowering springs in front. And I'm talking about 25 MPH corners at 60+ MPH. I'm just giving out the facts not some paid off mag editor.

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by PonyPower
how many other car companies are making big V8 sedans, not one. it may not be the best car to build to make profits with, but you cant say its not cool. Ever hear one start up? If i had the money i would get one.

Actually Chrysler makes the 300c. 340hp, 390ft/lbs and an interior that is just a shade better than my Impala. And because it has the suspension setup from the last e-class I suspect, it will handle a bit better too. Awesome car for 33k far more for the money than a marauder. Nott flaming just making a point.

MikesMerc

Established Member
Originally posted by f_rice
Actually Chrysler makes the 300c. 340hp, 390ft/lbs and an interior that is just a shade better than my Impala. And because it has the suspension setup from the last e-class I suspect, it will handle a bit better too. Awesome car for 33k far more for the money than a marauder.

First off the 300C it butt ugly.

Second, I drove one and its a soft cushy Luxo ride. It gets moving quick, but feels flat at anything over 40mph. The exhaust note sounds more like a vacuum cleaner than a Hemi. BTW, at $33k it's stripped. Get one even close to loaded and its more like $38+.

I've shelled out a heck of a lot less total cash for my 04 MM ($28,000) and Trilogy eaton blower kit ($6,000). That's not to mention that my 04 will now run high 12s against the 300C Hemi's low 14s.

Sorry, the 300C just isn't really targeted to the performance enthusiast. It's far too "soft". Did I mention that's its totally F'ugly too?

Last edited:

CanadaSVT

Torque Inspector
Established Member
Re: deceased T-Bird

Originally posted by Tom Kuznicki
Thats funny, because when I left the plant today I could have sworn that I was building T-Birds along with the Town Cars and LS's, but , maybe it was just my imagination that helped to wear me out.
Long live the V8 4-door! Go to www.seanhylandmotorsport.com and see what they have done for the Marauder. I like big comfortable boats. Last one I had was a '97 T-Bird Sport 4.6....still miss it sometimes.:beer: I heard the 05 T-Bird will be the last year again? Any word?

Last edited:

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by MikesMerc
First off the 300C it butt ugly.

Second, I drove one and its a soft cushy Luxo ride. It gets moving quick, but feels flat at anything over 40mph. The exhaust note sounds more like a vacuum cleaner than a Hemi. BTW, at $33k it's stripped. Get one even close to loaded and its more like $38+.

I've shelled out a heck of a lot less total cash for my 04 MM ($28,000) and Trilogy eaton blower kit ($6,000). That's not to mention that my 04 will now run high 12s against the 300C Hemi's low 14s.

Sorry, the 300C just isn't really targeted to the performance enthusiast. It's far too "soft". Did I mention that's its totally F'ugly too?

Huh? First of all my allegiance to the Impala SS will not allow to me to like the Marauder.

Second of all the 300c looks way cooler than a MM, who gets a stiffy over cops cars? The IMPALA SS excluded :rolling:

About the handling, the 300c uses the e-class suspension. Read:no rear axle :thumbsup: That's a good thing. Again I have SRA Impala and even with suspension mods it is no 300c neither is the MM.

Stripped 300c has a far nicer interior than the Impy or the MM and the MM is way nicer than the Impy F*** You GM.

The Hemi has more potential than the 4.6. One of the mags said it had more potential than the ls1 and IMHO the LS1>Mod 4.6

Why are even debating. I pointed out a v8 RWD car and you tear it apart. Do not claim to like v8 rwd and then rip on the one new domestic one out there :beer:

I like all things rwd. v8 and four doors. Yes even the cough* Marauder*cough :rolling:

MikesMerc

Established Member
Originally posted by f_rice
Second of all the 300c looks way cooler than a MM, who gets a stiffy over cops cars? The IMPALA SS excluded :rolling:

If you like the looks of the 300C, then be comfortable knowing that you are in the small minority out there. Heck, even the auto press didn't know what to say about the gaudy styling.

BTW, don't be a hypocrit. The SS looked far more like a cop car than anything else on the road...lol:)

About the handling, the 300c uses the e-class suspension. Read:no rear axle :thumbsup: That's a good thing.

Except when real torque and traction are applied. Then its hop-hop-hop-hop.:D

Stripped 300c has a far nicer interior than the Impy or the MM and the MM

If you like the "cockpit" feel than the 300C might be considered nice. It certainly feels to small for my tastes.

The Hemi has more potential than the 4.6. One of the mags said it had more potential

Yeah....we'll just see how many 300C Hemi owners mod their car. The target market is the aging, soft in the middle, kind of guy who has not done an oil change in years, and doesn't know the difference between the air fuel ratio and the air filter. The motor is indeed very nice. It's just not impressive in the Luxo 300C incarnation.

Why are even debating. I pointed out a v8 RWD car and you tear it apart. Do not claim to like v8 rwd and then rip on the one new domestic one out there

Perhaps my taste in enthusiast performance is a bit more discerning. It takes more than a RWD V8 platform to impress me. I prefer a little muscle to the styling and driving experience. The 300C is far from an enthusiast machine. Its just another Luxo V8 in my book.

And the exhuast still sounds like a vacuum cleaner....its hard to be impressed by that big woooosh sound.:(

I don't mean to debate or argue. I'm just disappointed with how the 300C turned out. It's butt ugly and far too tame. Its for old men who want to feel young again but are afraid to get into a musclecar. I'm certainly not the only one that feels that way either.

Last edited:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Actually, I have been a quiet fan of the Marauder for sometime and I hate to see it go. However, I can appreciate the fact that not only is there a 300C Hemi, which by the way has broken into the 13s stock according to the lastest C&D article, but there is also a Dodge version as well which can be had for under $30,000 with the Hemi. Plus, the Dodge Magnum RT only weighs 96 lbs more than the 300 sedan so the performance differences aren't going to be hardly noticably between the two.
As for the 300C, I have flip-flopped on the looks of it for sometime judging on pictures until seeing it in person today. It was jet black with ivory leather interior and very well equipped (even had satellite radio) for $35,000! All I can say is with its high beltline and the appearance of a very low center of gravity and shorter appearance, it has the makings of being a great seller for DCX. It feels as roomy as a Mercury in the front area and has more legroom in the rear seat area and the trunk is more usable IMO. Judge the cars looks as you will, but the fact of the matter is that DaimlerChrysler has knocked one out of the park with the new LX platform. Actually, these two cars got as much attention at the NC Auto Expo as the 2005 Mustang was getting while i was there...especially the Inferno Red Dodge Magnum.

Hopefully, Ford will return the Marauder with more oomph within a couple of years to compete on a more equal scale. Yet without a blower, I'm not sure the 4.6 is going to be able to compete with the Hemi, especially after the aftermarket gets behind it and I imagine that while a lot of the 300 people may not mod their cars, you'll see quite a few Dodge Magnum guys looking to turn up the wick on already impressive numbers.

MilTownSHO

Established Member
Only good thing you can say is that it didn't bomb as big as the recently deceased T-Bird.

Uhh.. the T-bird is still in production, sorry to burst your bubble.

As far as the Marauder goes, I love them! I wouldn't mind one if I could afford the insurance.... I loved my 91 Crown Vic I used to have, just needed alot more pep.

I love 4 door Ford's that move, so Marauder is definately high on my list, now if they only made it with a stick! ;-)

poppakap

The Anti Rice
Established Member
It's to bad to see the Marauder go. I really liked it. I hope to pick up a used one in a couple of years.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Hey isn't the 300C displacement on demand? I read that 4 of the 8 lifters collapse at cruise so the car operates on only 4 cylinders. I'm sorry but, I won't and will never buty anything remotely close to displacement on demand! I don't believe they are still trying to implement this ridiculous feature. If I have a V8 four door I don't care about gas mileage I want power.

Even though they say the transission between 4 and 8 cylinders is pretty seamless, I want full V8 power all the time. NOT some buzzy little four banger half the time. SCREW the 300C! This is a Ford forum no more hamming up that but ugly 300C.

Paul

Silverstrike

Established Member
Originally posted by grandestang
Hey isn't the 300C displacement on demand? I read that 4 of the 8 lifters collapse at cruise so the car operates on only 4 cylinders. I'm sorry but, I won't and will never buty anything remotely close to displacement on demand! I don't believe they are still trying to implement this ridiculous feature. If I have a V8 four door I don't care about gas mileage I want power.

Even though they say the transission between 4 and 8 cylinders is pretty seamless, I want full V8 power all the time. NOT some buzzy little four banger half the time. SCREW the 300C! This is a Ford forum no more hamming up that but ugly 300C.

Paul

No thats GM's feature for they'er light trucks/SUV's and Bus lines I think the 300C is just a regular 5.7 340HP Hemi.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Originally posted by Silverstrike
No thats GM's feature for they'er light trucks/SUV's and Bus lines I think the 300C is just a regular 5.7 340HP Hemi.

Nope, not according to May 2004 "Road and Track". They go on about that system being employed for a long time. I doubt a reputable mag would publish totally false info about a car.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread