Delayed starting?

elyrain

Established Member
Usually my car starts as soon as you hit the ignition. But lately every now and then it'll crank for a couple of seconds before it starts. It does it when it's sat all night and when I just drove it, warm and cold. Compression test is all above 190+. New motor ran fine till now. So I'm thinking it's gotta be fuel or spark related? I changed the fuel filter about 12 months ago with the plugs, and have only got about 7k miles since then. I'm kinda out of ideas, does anyone else car do this?

Last edited:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
with the cold weather you can have some condensation in the lines when the car cools down and it gets sucked in and makes it harder to start

i really wouldnt worry about it too much

Eric

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Mine has had different starting times before, but just barely longer than normal your situation may be different. I just clean the IAC, MAF sensor (especially if you have an oiled air filter) and run some fuel system cleaner through the tank. Maybe a smoke screen is in order too? (Sea Foam through the PCV valve)

BlueVenom01

Established Member
Battery check??? Clean the posts off too....the build up that forms there can also cause a bad connection.

elyrain

Established Member
Battery is 3 months old, cranks real fast just doesn't actually start for 2-3 seconds sometimes. I may put my JLT pcv prefilters back on and see if that's it, maybe getting a little oil in the intake. And clean all the electrical in front.

I don't think it's the cold air because I've lived here since I bought the car new and it's been much colder then this before with no problems. Maybe it's because it doesn't get driven as much anymore? 3-4 times a week.

George Wax

Established Member
I had a similiar problem such as the one you have described. My old man ran some diagnostics ended up being the crank trigger sensor. I replaced the sensor and now it starts up really fast. :banana:

George Wax

Established Member
BTW, my problem started out similiar to your description and eventually the vehicle would not fire up at all (no spark)...

elyrain

Established Member
I had a similiar problem such as the one you have described. My old man ran some diagnostics ended up being the crank trigger sensor. I replaced the sensor and now it starts up really fast. :banana:

I think I may try that, mine did get a little banged up during the motor swap.

dec322

Established Member

Bringing this thread back from the dead:

My car just stopped starting. Where is the crank trigger sensor?

dredg9

Established Member
is your fuel pump priming? could be a bad pump, i would use a screwdriver to release the schrader valve and see if you have any fuel pressure.

dec322

Established Member
is your fuel pump priming? could be a bad pump, i would use a screwdriver to release the schrader valve and see if you have any fuel pressure.

Where is this? Fuel rails? When I release it should I hear the pressure release?

I don't know if my pump is priming or not. I know in my old foxbody I could hear it prime....I haven't noticed it in this car.

dec322

Established Member
Well, I noticed that the pump does prime and there is pressure at the rails. I'm going to start a new thread as my problem is not longer "delayed" starting. It is now "won't start":rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread