Deionized water...

FATlaws

Established Member
it seems like it would be better to use in an engine than distilled water. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like these would cause harm to the engine not removing most ions and leaving anything with a boiling point higher than water?

Anyone tried it?

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
it seems like it would be better to use in an engine than distilled water. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like these would cause harm to the engine not removing most ions and leaving anything with a boiling point higher than water?

Anyone tried it?

Just don't run it without at least a 50% antifreeze mixture, it is an even more corrosive form of water than distilled, and even distilled should only be run with at least a 50% antifreeze mixture.

Regular old generic bottled filtered "DRINKING" water is what I recommend and what I use in everything except my Keurig coffee maker.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
RO is difficult to find in typical stores, at least in my area. RO is the best for purity. Second best is distilled, it has less minerals. Drinking or spring water have minerals which are the corrosive minerals.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I have discovered a really nice water filtration system for use in the home, and it's perfect to make your own filtered water that not only taste great.....but may be right at home in your car's cooling system.

Zero Water

We have tap water in my home that isn't desirable to drink. It has a smell, poor taste, and can leave pinkish stains in the tub if not cleaned regularly (despite the water itself looking clear). Trust me, you don't want to drink the stuff. We use Zero Water in our home, and must say....I'm very impressed with the results. No longer does the water taste "hard" or have any odor at all. It removes all the bad minerals from the water replacing it with sodium ions (or so I have read).

This should be much more forgiving in your cooling systems.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
RO is difficult to find in typical stores, at least in my area. RO is the best for purity. Second best is distilled, it has less minerals. Drinking or spring water have minerals which are the corrosive minerals.

Not necessarily, it is the absence of minerals that activates the ionic need of water to aggressively attempt to put minerals back. Having a small amount of minerals actually pacifies the intensity of that need.

Too many minerals can be a legitimate concern but not typically because of corrosion, it is most commonly because of mineral scaling and reduced heat transfer. Too many minerals can also lead to plugging of the rad's cooling tubes.

Generic bottled filtered drinking water is nearly always reverse osmosis and can be found at most grocery stores.
Spring water typically has more minerals than drinking and is therefore less desirable.

Le_BigMac

Established Member
Not necessarily, it is the absence of minerals that activates the ionic need of water to aggressively attempt to put minerals back. Having a small amount of minerals actually pacifies the intensity of that need.

Too many minerals can be a legitimate concern but not typically because of corrosion, it is most commonly because of mineral scaling and reduced heat transfer. Too many minerals can also lead to plugging of the rad's cooling tubes.

Generic bottled filtered drinking water is nearly always reverse osmosis and can be found at most grocery stores.
Spring water typically has more minerals than drinking and is therefore less desirable.

Spot on. Im in the water treatment industry and you certainly know your stuff.

Digital

Established Member

Most aquarium stores have RO water that you can get by the gallon if you bring your own containers.

Users who are viewing this thread