Decisions decisions buying another s197

Roland281

Established Member
So a year ago I ran into a situation where trading my 07 GT seemed like the best thing to do at the time. But now I want another 197 and am looking for those who have experience with cars similar to the ones I'm fixing to list as I'm having a hard time deciding what to go with.

First some details on the one I regret hard trading off. 2007 GT tr3650, detroit rocker cams, cmp deletes, cai, long tubes, OR h pipe with glass packs dumped at the pinion, aluminum DS and the oh so sweet 4.30 gears. It put down 321hp and 295ft lbs on the Dyno on 91.

Now the first option is a 13 v6 base with the track pack and Ricardo seats. The car was actually surprisingly quick and already has bassani headers and full cated bassani exhaust with cai and a super precise short throw. And the exhaust sounds very good. It's also pretty cheap for the times we are in and the area. The car seemed to pull almost as hard as my old 07 and was enjoyable to drive.

Next for 8 grand more is a similar mileage 2012 California special GT basically fully loaded. Which doesn't really matter to me honestly as I don't buy mustangs for luxury. Now it was raining lightly when I went to drive this one so I didn't get a chance to crawl around it like I did the v6 but it has a short throw, a pretty heavy clutch pedal so guessing it's been changed and mbrp exhaust from what I saw. Now I couldn't get fully in it as it was a little damp out but the short stab I did give it didn't really impress me compared to my 07. Seemed maybe it pulled a little harder, maybe?

So I'm stuck between trying to decide if the GT is fully worth that much more. I wouldn't plan on modding either one further as I learned with the 07 that once you start you have a hard time stopping.

So looking for opinions based on experience with cars similar to the two I'm looking at. I wouldn't mind another early 197 like I had but they have gotten more expensive then the 11-14 v6 and only a couple grand under the newer GT so no way I could justify that money to basically start all over modding one again.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Welcome back.....................Joined Dec 16, 2021 Messages 2
Not a great time to be considering a buy, prices on everything are up. It sounds like your wallet is leaning toward the V-6,.................good luck..

PC03GT

Established Member
Coyote without a doubt. How about you drive one when the weather is nice out, you'll see what the extra money is getting you.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
coyote GIF by Nat Geo Wild

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
No offence, had to make a choice between the new 05GT and an 04 Cobra and there wasn't much of a choice. The 05 is one of the ugliest body styles Mustang ever made....next to the Mustang II of course. Grab an 11+ 5.0

Roland281

Established Member
No offence, had to make a choice between the new 05GT and an 04 Cobra and there wasn't much of a choice. The 05 is one of the ugliest body styles Mustang ever made....next to the Mustang II of course. Grab an 11+ 5.0
I actually find the 71-73 to be the worst looking, i grew up with a guy who collected 65-70s shelbys and the 05-09 to me is the closest you can get to those first gens without actually buying one.

Keep looking and buy a Coyote.
I've actually been looking for a while and it's actually the cheapest coyote by a bit in a 500 mile radius of me.
Welcome back.....................Joined Dec 16, 2021 Messages 2
Not a great time to be considering a buy, prices on everything are up. It sounds like your wallet is leaning toward the V-6,.................good luck..
Yeah but i kind of made a half good decision since I traded the 07 for an EV and i'm going to end up getting the full price back out of it. Wallet is leaning to the v6 just because 8 grand for 100hp doesn't add up right. I mean from what i'm seeing if i did get crazy and start modifying, 8 grand gets you a boosted 500hp v6. If the coyote had the more classic sound of the 3v i'd be all over it. As 412hp is nice but would rarely be used in full but you'll always hear that sound...
Coyote without a doubt. How about you drive one when the weather is nice out, you'll see what the extra money is getting you.
yeah i need to see up underneath it to see what's been done, to many people/shops hack thinks up when modifying or doing work to something they think no one will ever see.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd be so disappointed with a V6 when I know a V8 is available. Especially when comparing those 2 engines. Not even a contest.
Coyote wins every contest other than MPG.

A 500hp boosted v6 still sounds like dump.

Roland281

Established Member
I'd be so disappointed with a V6 when I know a V8 is available. Especially when comparing those 2 engines. Not even a contest.
Coyote wins every contest other than MPG.

A 500hp boosted v6 still sounds like dump.
I mean I honestly don't particularly like the European sound of the coyote either. The mrbp exhaust makes the coyote loud (to loud actually I'd have to change that out as I come home from work at 1 am) but it the sound to me doesn't really match the car I guess.

Roland281

Established Member
I'm curious what for those of you with coyotes, what price did you pay for yours or if you sold one what you got out of it.
Also I know the recaro seats are comfortable on long rides, are the stock 2012 seats better than the 05-09 seats? My 07 and the gfs 09 seats have me in pain after 45 minutes of sitting in them.

PC03GT

Established Member
Bought mine brand new in 13. Have the trackpack with leather recaros, the seats are great. I'm unsure on a price if I did ever sell it, considering everything I have into it. I can tell you it's one of the most reliable car's I've ever owned, just get in it and drive

Roland281

Established Member
Well I ended up with the V6 track pack. They had sold the first GT I was looking at the night before I went to sign papers. I got to looking at the car fax reports on another 2 GT's that were 200 miles from me that i was holding off to the side in case that happened. Got to looking at the Car Fax and one had a hard impact in the rear with 6 owners (2011), and the other (2012) had a minor front end collision with the 3rd owner and a hard front end collision causing sub frame damage on the 7th owner (9 owners in total). The next cheapest GT was a base track pack with Ricaros but at 14k more then the v6 just wasn't worth it to me.

I guess i'll consider myself lucky that I can have a full bolt on v6 and legitimately Enjoy it because it pulls super strong (to me) at 3k and up. For Comparison it drives almost the exact same way my 07 GT did with the Detroit Rockers, factory 3.55 and had a reputable tuning company tell me to remove the CMPs (biggest mistake ever). Under 2500 it takes a moment but then hauls, which works great for me because I cruise at 2500-3k anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread